What's new

iPhone 7 Plus: What Did I Just Buy?!!! (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
For Ron, the Jet Black are shipping sooner than expected. I'll let you know when mine gets here today.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/19/jet-black-iphone-7-plus-orders-shipping/

so+you're+telling+me+there's+a+chance.jpg

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm definitely nervous about the Jet
In what way? I'm just resigned to the fact it scratches easily and will slap a case on it as soon as I unbox it. But also, I'm now enrolled in Apple's Upgrade program and given how next year's model is supposed to be the witch's t!t, this is really a 12 month phone for me.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Same, but I don't want to walk around for 11 months with a janky scratched up mess. And there's zero point in getting Jet Black just to put it in a case.

I just talked to an Apple Store 800 number rep and they assured me I could exchange for a different color within first two weeks, no questions asked. Even if is scratched.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I never walk around with an iPhone without a case. No matter the finish. And I could agree there was no point, if I paid a price premium for the finish. But I didn't. So I got the finish I want, and even if it was made of Gorilla Sapphire Glass XP 4 Bulletproof material, I'd still put a case around it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I never walk around with an iPhone without a case. No matter the finish. And I could agree there was no point, if I paid a price premium for the finish. But I didn't. So I got the finish I want, and even if it was made of Gorilla Sapphire Glass XP 4 Bulletproof material, I'd still put a case around it.
Yep. I have a gold 6s+ and it still looks brand new in my clear case and Zagg screen protector

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
https://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/iphone/#trade-in
Trade in and get
iPhone 7 for $0.
Up to $650 savings.

Here’s how to get your iPhone 7 for $0:

1. Buy a new iPhone 7 with monthly device payments.
  2. During checkout, select the option to trade in your old device. If you wish to trade in your device at a later time, please ensure you have activated your new iPhone 7 first, then log in to My Verizon and select "trade in old device."
  3. After you have completed your trade-in appraisal, you will receive a box to return your old device.
Your savings will be credited to your account as recurring payments over 24 months beginning within 2-3 cycles. iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus are eligible for promotional value of $650. iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C and iPhone SE are eligible for promotional value of $400.

$649.99 on device payment req'd. Less $650 credit over 24 mos with trade in of qualified iPhone. Credits begin in 2-3 billing cycles & end when balance paid or line canceled. 0% APR.

My iPhone 6s was $750 I think; I bought the middle model, 64GB. I financed $550. I'm 11 months in; 1 more payment to be eligible for an upgrade, my account says.

So I'm thinking maybe I should upgrade my iPhone a year earlier than planned? I need to review my plan: I'm about 12 months into the 24 month repayment plan and contract.

And I don't really want an iPhone 7: that is, it looks like a great device but I'm on the S cycle and next year's 7s (or whatever) is going to be brilliant by all expectations.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
For Ron, the Jet Black are shipping sooner than expected. I'll let you know when mine gets here today.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/19/jet-black-iphone-7-plus-orders-shipping/

Carlo, thank you for thinking of me.

My date hasn't jumped. Still the same (October 1-7), but at least I somewhat anticipate that will change and now I have next day delivery.

And I don't really want an iPhone 7: that is, it looks like a great device but I'm on the S cycle and next year's 7s (or whatever) is going to be brilliant by all expectations.

My knee-jerk reaction, Dave, is that as long as it qualifies you for an iPhone 8 same time next year, then go for it.

On the other hand, really pending on what you will pay, the iPhone 7 Plus is really not a huge step above the 6S Plus, as you know.

I just buy to have the latest -- not necessarily the most improved.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I'm skipping this cycle, Dave. Like you, I am eligible for an upgrade through AT&T Next but the 7 isn't much of an improvement over the 6s for me. I don't take pictures or videos so I couldn't care less about the camera. The jury's still out about the solid state home button too. I got to see one and it didn't feel right. I know the feedback is adjustable but it felt too gimmicky like the peek-and-pop which I was all too happy to shut off when I bought my 6s.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I have ATT next too and have 2 payments until I can switch to my next phone.
What happens if I continue on with the payments for several months before deciding to get my next phone?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Initial impressions coming from a 6.
  • I don't regret the size increase to the 7 plus. I thought I might, but the extra screen real estate is awesome and two fingered typing is way easier.
  • Speed and power increase over 6 is very noticeable. The 6 wasn't slow by any means but the 7+ flies in comparison.
  • No noticeable screen defects on mine (reports of some yellowish screens).
  • Camera is definitely miles ahead of the 6 but I can't tell if live color is a good thing or a gimmick.
  • No problems adjust to the home "button/not button". Use sensitivity of 1. Haptic feedback is cool.
  • That dongle is gonna break. The cord part is as thin and flimsy as a spaghetti noodle. Third party companies, here is your window to making a better product.
I'll update with more impressions as time goes on.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks for the initial impressions, Carlo.

Do you notice any color gamut difference on the screen?

Mine still has not moved as far as delivery time is concerned. I believe the only movement that happened was for those who had their orders stalled due to the Upgrade Program. Apple is trying to move those orders along.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm probably not upgrading early. The Verizon $650 promotion seems to stop the rebate payments if you pay off the new phone early. That's not a bad deal, but it's not a great deal. I hope to get confirmation this weekend.

Ultimately, I want to upgrade next year. If I can get a nearly free iPhone 7 in the interim, that's great. But if not, I'll wait.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ron I haven't done a few enough dive to notice the color gamut. I can say the pixel tech is definitely different. Now all of the colors seem to be on the same plane. Whereas on the 6 some colors like red seemed to be "higher" than others giving some red text and buttons the appearance of 3D.

One thing I can definitely say, the sound of my music is noticeably improved on my Westone IEMs with the apple adapter. I don't know if the audio DACs in the 7plus are better or if it's the lightning to audio process. Bass sounds tighter. Instrument separation is improved. I feel like I got a new and improved set of headphones.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Huh... so is that lightning audio actually digital output or analog? That was never clear to me... though I always suspected it's actually analog, especially since that "dongle" doesn't look like it can realistically hold a DAC *plus* opamp and still sound any good, if even having the most basic DAC+opamp built-in is possible w/ today's tech at all.

I keep hearing people refer to it as digital... but maybe there's actually both options built-in... and the dongle is just taking the analog signal that would normally have also been split to the dedicated headphone jack? If so, perhaps the lack of signal splitting helps maintain higher fidelity even if the new connectivity itself might not technically be as good as the old (unextended) standard...

_Man_

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think a teardown somewhere revealed the aforementioned (by me) flimsy spaghetti dongle actually has a DAC in the base closest to the phone. Great. The good news is that when it breaks, Apple's site lists it at $9 which is surprisingly reasonable for Apple. Usually they like to charge $29 for accessories.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think a teardown somewhere revealed the aforementioned (by me) flimsy spaghetti dongle actually has a DAC in the base closest to the phone. Great. The good news is that when it breaks, Apple's site lists it at $9 which is surprisingly reasonable for Apple. Usually they like to charge $29 for accessories.

I bet the cost of the dongle will go up after the next generation or two of phones; right now they probably need to keep it reasonably low to help stave off any backlash from removing the headphone jack in the first place. But in a couple years, after the Lightning port for for Lightning-headphones or wireless usage has become more accepted, they'll probably jack that up a bit. (Pun not originally intended but why not leave the pun in place?)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Well then we better buy'em now before they have a supply/demand issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks