What's new

IPhone 5c/5s (1 Viewer)

Are you planning on getting the new iPhone 5c or 5s?

• Total voters

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
meh. worn out before you even use it.

;)

That's very cool. I'm really looking forward to slomo of my cats swishing their tails when they're stalking toys. :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Andy Ihnatko comments on the 5s:
If not for the existence of the Nokia Lumia 1020, I would say with quickness and confidence that it’s the best cameraphone on the market. And to be fair, the Lumia has so much “real camera” hardware in it that it’s at the extreme upper limit of what you can call a smartphone.
http://www.chicagogrid.com/reviews/tech/iphone-5s-review/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
New iPhone 5S 5S 64 GB black.

New phone experience deeply marred by discovery that I have no idea what my iTunes backup password is. Can't setup from old phone, so I've lost data.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My backup encryption password is different from the iTunes password. And my backups were encrypted. So all the iCloud data is fine. But app data not in iCloud (Car Care especially of note, and all games) is lost, locked away from myself. Similarly, but less annoying, all my folders and app configurations were lost.

This is my fault. I'm beyond fastidious with backups and passwords. But somehow I completely failed to record this password. And I failed to realize that I would need it when setting up the new phone. (Pounds head into desk.)

And this is why fingerprint protection is useful for the common man. Can't forget my fingerprints very easily.

A couple hours later, and I'm getting along. Audible and Downcast recovered gracefully, once I launched and logged in for the first time. I've got a complete mess of apps to sort through now, and figure out what to keep and what I should finally discard from non-use.

I need to figure out how to discard my encrypted iPad backup and create a new, non password-protected backup (without obliterating my iPad data).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Anyone bought these thunderstrike (whatever they're called) cables from Monoprice? I'm going to buy some full-freight cables from Apple tomorrow. But I need a few more and don't want to spend $200 on cables.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Steve Tannehill said:
Do you have 2 devices running iOS 7?
Yeah. My wife also got her iPhone 5S tonight.

She was able to send me a photo over AirDrop: my phone appeared briefly in her list before vanishing. I don't see her phone at all.

No wait, there it is. It popped in after 10 minutes. And now it's gone, a minute later. Hopefully it's just temporary glitches. FaceTime was dodgy the first week or two when iOS 4 came out.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm getting my phone back in working order. A lighting to 30-pin cable from Apple and its working with car just like before. Good news. A quick test of voice nav was successful, and suggests more testing and possibly uninstalling TomTom. Fingerprint recog is great.This phone is fast. Sometimes it feels slippery, almost too fast. Entering video mode and saving videos is instant. It took several seconds on my iPhone 4. There are quirks. AirDrop doesn't work. When I press home and return to the home screen, there's a little stutter step in the final frame of animation. And I'm adapting to the new headphone location; muscle memory is now a hindrance.The bigger screen: its great but its at the edge of one-handed use. There are moments when I miss the smaller screen.I can't figure out what, if anything, the motion coprocessor does. There are no controls or apps for it that I can see. And still got wifi popups while driving. So...???

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I disabled AirDrop to save on battery.I am really liking the Ear Pods. They put the old ear buds to shame.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
New iPhone 5S 5S 64 GB black.

New phone experience deeply marred by discovery that I have no idea what my iTunes backup password is. Can't setup from old phone, so I've lost data.
Why not simply uncheck the encrypt backups option and back up your old phone again? The you can restore from the new backup...

I got a white/silver (would have been gold had a played with it before ordering online) 64GB to replace my iPhone 4 -- yowza, what a difference. The podcast app actually works! The camera is amazing. Voice dictation is hugely improved (over the 4S) - not sure if it is server side or better microphones but the results are fantastic. Actual text message I dictated near the 72nd St subway stop, standing near a very loud city bus turning onto Broadway:
Stopping by Fairway to buy Saran wrap and Ziploc bags. We need anything else?
Note the capitalization, punctuation, knowing the difference between by and buy - all done correctly. I have an accent to boot. Anyone complaining about Siri at this point is simply not using it. (I realize voice diction is not the same thing as Siri, but the "text my wife, please" part worked as well)

And boy does LTE make a difference on a phone… I am on AT&T, my wife (iPhone 5) is on Verizon and at this point for NYC AT&T has caught up. AT&T is awful around West Broadway from Chambers to Duane St., but is better than Verizon in the subway

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
You have to enter the password to authorize unencryption. (else encryption would be worthless :) )
Sure, you can't touch your old backups. But there has to be a way to turn off encryption for new ones, right? I am saying make a new unencrypted backup with your old phone. That has to be possible.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Nope.

My iPad backup is encrypted with my lost password. I can't disable its encryption going forward, without doing a restore / reinstall, it seems. (I need to try and do a clear backup to my wife's iMac, wipe it, setup anew on my Mac, then restore from my wife's machine and then backup clear to my Mac. Maybe that will work?)

My iPhone 4 is sold back to AT&T as trade-in so no way to create a new, clear backup (even if there was a way). And weirdly, that backup has completely vanished from iTunes. These things evaporate when the phone's service is disabled for some time???

My iPhone 5s is unencrypted, because I've learned a painful lesson and won't turn on that option for this phone's backup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks