What's new

iPad Air and iPad Air 2 buyers and owners (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I understand the new iPads are going on sale at 12 AM PDT on apple.com but when are they going on sale in Apple Stores?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What to do, what to do?I'm liking the iPad Air 2 with 64GB for $599. Same price as my iPad 3 with double the storage. My wife has the iPad 2 with Verizon 3G, and we've used it twice in four years; I don't need an LTE model.The Mini 3 is out. It wasn't a likely choice, and Sam pointed out elsewhere it's the Mini 2 with TouchID at a $100 premium.I'm vaguely disappointed. It's not fair. It's a great iPad, faster and better than ever, plus TouchID. But...I'd vaguely hoped for something mind-blowing. Maybe the Pro model would be announced. Or it would have the iPhone 6+ camera with OIP. Or the battery life would double. New tech categories are more exciting when they're new Mature stuff is boring.For completeness, what laptop should I glare at, before choosing an iPad to buy? Never mind. Starting at $900, laptop is 50% more than a new iPad.Might try and order and new iPad in the morning.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Going to upgrade from my iPad 4th gen to an iPad Air 2, Space Grey, 128 GB. Still trying to decide whether to go cellular or just rely on tethering from the iPhone 6+ (especially since they've made it so seamless).

I agree with Sam that Gazelle's offers are not too good this time around. For my 4th gen, 128 GB, AT&T iPad the offer was around $260 (Including the $20 bonus and the 5% bump for taking payment as an Amazon gift card). Amazon's trade-in offer is $360-$400, depending on how they grade my iPad. Big difference. That's close enough to going resale prices to make it worth it.

I did a little pre-sale check, and was surprised to see that they are giving a small discount when going through my corporate sales portal. i think in the past that hasn't been available on iPads until they've been out for awhile.

Hopefully the ordering process won't be as screwed up this time as it was last month.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm out in terms of iPad purchasing until they hit 256GB storage. But my parents are in the market for one, so when I visit them next month I'll be likely helping them spec one out. Probably go with the 64GB Air 2 option, and they'll decide on the color.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
As usual, Apple is making us wait to preorder these iPads. Not sure when
these babies will actually be available to order today.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You are lucky. Still can't preorder.

Some are speculating store won't open until Australia time.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Checked the store. Still down.

I'll let my wife try and order today: 64GB iPad Air 2, black (space gray?). Unless there's no chance it will arrive before Oct 31; then I'll wait to buy from BestBuy for the reward zone points.

Pawl

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still waiting for my iPhone 6 Plus (ordered it last September), but will receive it next week on my Birthday! Now, trying to decide on whether to purchase the golden iPad Air 2 with fingerprint scanner....well, Iife is too short, gotta buy it!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ordered two iPads

Mine: Space Grey, 64GB, Wifi+Cellular

Mom: Gold, 16GB, Wi-Fi

Delivers Oct 22-24

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
That's awesome of you bud, I gave my old Retina iPad to Mom last Christmas.

But, and I'm going to sound like a huge dick here, please understand it isn't meant that way: 16GB on ANY iPad isn't enough. Unless literally the only things she will be doing on it are Safari and Mail 16Gb is a trap. It's going to be a huge PITA just to update the OS on that.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sam Posten said:
That's awesome of you bud, I gave my old Retina iPad to Mom last Christmas.

But, and I'm going to sound like a huge dick here, please understand it isn't meant that way: 16GB on ANY iPad isn't enough. Unless literally the only things she will be doing on it are Safari and Mail 16Gb is a trap. It's going to be a huge PITA just to update the OS on that.
For just email, web browsing and a few card game apps?It's perfect

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
For what Ron describes, that's about the only use scenario where a 16GB is enough.

Work issued me one last year (original Air) at 16GB...and I hugely regret not fighting for the 32GB option. Basically all I can do is docs on iWork and extremely small-sized games (which I don't play anyway). Can barely load any songs and forget about feature length movies to watch while traveling for work.

Live and learn. At least I didn't pay for it so I can't complain. But for sure when I help my parents get one I'm going to push for at least the 64GB version for them. My dad is at least an intermediate user, so he'll want and need the extra room.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Ordered two iPads

Mine: Space Grey, 64GB, Wifi+Cellular

Mom: Gold, 16GB, Wi-Fi

Delivers Oct 22-24
I bought my gold one 128 GB Wifi+Cellular Delivers Oct. 23-27

My iPhone 6+ is in Korea for delivery on Oct. 22nd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks