What's new

iPad Air and iPad Air 2 buyers and owners (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If you don't want to play around with mounting screws there are
arms that will mount in the cup holder such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F0IQTE8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1M2XARP67I1BE&coliid=I3S42M1YSTREZQ&psc=1

So, that is a way to use your iPad as a navigation device.

I also hooked up with a guy that started a kickstarter project to mount
iPads in the CD player of the car:

I am happy to see that he is now selling the kit on Amazon. Only thing is, for my
next trip, I need the CD player.

I am going to be driving to Canada. I hear that none of the three big map programs
(Waze, Google, Apple Maps) offer offline mapping. So, even with the cellular GPSchip I may out of luck once I enter Canada.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ronald Epstein said:
If you don't want to play around with mounting screws there are
arms that will mount in the cup holder such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F0IQTE8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1M2XARP67I1BE&coliid=I3S42M1YSTREZQ&psc=1
Hrmm...That requires you taking your eyes off the road to read the map. It's better than the Bad Old Days when I'd try to flip printouts of MapQuest while driving my rental down the 405 ;) And I do it with my iPhone when I forget to pack the windshield mount on a trip. But definitely not my preferred approach.

Naysaying aside, how does it work for you? Why go at it that way instead of with your phone?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Here's the thing, Apple has yet to do a 'spec bump' on iPad other than the one time they updated it for just Lightning. Every other year has been a massive jump. Buying an Air today is likely to be the worst decision a tech enthusiast could make. Normal people won't care, but those in the know will kick themselves. I am glad you have held off.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got an iPad 3 and my wife, an iPad 2. If the new iPad Air gets the fingerprint reader this Fall, I will be hard-pressed to not upgrade from my 3. (And the 3 goes to the wife, and the 2 goes to eBay / Gazelle).

I thought the mini might be the way to go for me, but I really like the 10" screen. It's great for movies and web browsing. And the iPad Air's lighter weight would be great for bed use. And also shave a 1/2 lb from my travel satchel; a small, but noticeable improvement.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Touch ID could be cool but what I really really really want is rear camera parity with iPhone. They make such GREAT cams for the phones it kills me that they refuse to put it on the pads.

Pawl

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty much ready to purchase the upcoming iPad Air with the thumbprint scanner, because it's tiring to have to type in your password all the time. ☺️ And, a larger iPhone is a definite purchase for me.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Pawl said:
I'm pretty much ready to purchase the upcoming iPad Air with the thumbprint scanner, because it's tiring to have to type in your password all the time. ☺️ And, a larger iPhone is a definite purchase for me.
Pawl, September can't come soon enough.Saving my money for Apple and/or Android goodies.This has got to be one of the most exciting years for electronic innovations.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I figured I was safe this Fall, but there's a growing sentiment that I'm going to buy a new iPad this year and replace the wife's iPad 2. The question then will be whether I get the new iPad and she gets my iPad 3, or she gets the new iPad and I keep the iPad 3.

If the new iPad Air has fingerprint reader, I'm pretty much sunk :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Bump and title update. I'll be selling off my iPad Air (tho sadly not to Gazelle, their offer sucked) and getting up at 3AM to order: iPad Air 2, Space Grey, Verizon, 128GB.

Good to know:
Which Smart Cover or Smart Case should I use with my iPad?
The iPad Air Smart Cover is compatible with both iPad Air 2 and iPad Air. The iPad Air 2 Smart Case fits only iPad Air 2. The iPad Air Smart Case fits only iPad Air. The iPad mini Smart Cover and the iPad mini Smart Case work with all iPad mini models.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This is neat:
Historically, users purchasing cellular versions of iPads have had to choose their carrier at the time of purchase, with Apple shipping a device specifically configured for use on that carrier. But with the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3, Apple is launching a new "Apple SIM" included with devices purchased in the United States and United Kingdom.For U.S. users in particular, the Apple SIM allows users to easily move among AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint by taking advantage of short-term data plans as needed.
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/16/ipad-air-2-apple-sim/

But....
Apple notes in an explanatory pop up on its iPad Air 2 store page that Verizon is not a participating carrier and Verizon customers will need to visit Verizon stores to activate cellular service on their devices.
Oh for Fs sake Verizon....

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
It's Verizon - not surprised sadly. I am thinking about trading up - the thinness is really really important to me, as I use it for reading. Decisions decisions...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks