What's new

iPad Air and iPad 4? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've got a friend who's been thinking about buying an iPad but hasn't pulled the trigger. I just got a groupon email touting an iPad 4 with 64mb/wifi/4g/LTE for Verizon or Sprint for $570. I go over to Apple and the iPad with Retina Display (which I believe is the iPad 4) only comes with 16mb. So I guess it's being phased out.

I can only compare the Groupon offer to the prices for the iPad Air, though I'm not sure how fair that is. When I look at Apples comparison chart, I see the Air is smaller (though not drastically) and lighter (almost half a pound, that's noticeable), and the Air has a newer and I presume faster processor.

Am I right the the iPad 4 is the iPad with Retina display and is the $570 a good price?

When I bought my iPad 2 (wifi only) I was told that with the cellular version there was no contract. I could start the service and pay for a month's usage and cancel anytime I wanted. Is that still true? I haven't seen anything on the Groupon page explaining whether a cellular contract is required or not.

BTW, I just noticed that the 64gm is only in Verizon now and they have a 128gb version for $650.

I was also going to tell him he needs to write a list of what he wants to do with the tablet and to also consider one of the Kindle Fires. Anyone have a Kindle Fire?

Here's a llink to Apples comparison chart: http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

Mr. Jingles

Agent
Real Name
Alex
Johnny,

I am going to be just one of several responses you should consider just in case I give misinformation.

I currently own the iPad 3. It was the first model to be released with Retina. So, everything that came post iPad3 had a retina display.

Absolutely, $570 seems like a great price for an iPad4 with those specs. You have the maximum SSD space (64GB) and it is cellular ready. You would probably be paying over $800 for that configuration in an iPad Air.

And I am very confident that there are no contracts with the cellular purchase. You pay about a monthly fee when you need it and there is no commitment after.

Your friend could probably do cheaper going over to Kindle, but I think the Apple iPad experience is very unique -- something other tablets don't necessarily do as well.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Mr. Jingles said:
Johnny,

I am going to be just one of several responses you should consider just in case I give misinformation.

I currently own the iPad 3. It was the first model to be released with Retina. So, everything that came post iPad3 had a retina display.

Absolutely, $570 seems like a great price for an iPad4 with those specs. You have the maximum SSD space (64GB) and it is cellular ready. You would probably be paying over $800 for that configuration in an iPad Air.

And I am very confident that there are no contracts with the cellular purchase. You pay about a monthly fee when you need it and there is no commitment after.

Your friend could probably do cheaper going over to Kindle, but I think the Apple iPad experience is very unique -- something other tablets don't necessarily do as well.
Thanks for your comments and I do hope there have other comments as you mentioned. As for the Kindle Fire, I don't know much about it, I do know I love my Kindle Paperwhite 2. I wish the offer was directly from Apple, but Groupon says the iPad comes with a 1 year warranty.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's a good price if it's a new device. If it were sold by Apple today, that would likely be $729, based on their current 16 GB price.

Is this new or a refurb?

You can search eBay auctions to see how they sell used for another comparison.

The other consideration: there will likely be new iPads released this October. Based on the past several years, the new one will replace the iPad Air at the current pricing. The iPad air will become the 16 GB "cheap" option, and the iPad 4 will be completely discontinued. If your friend prefers bargains over new tech, that Groupon sounds good.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Good price yes. Absolutely terrible idea to buy an existing iPad right now ESPECIALLY if you are getting a cellular model. WAIT FOR SEPTEMBER.If you don't care about the new features buy a closeout at that time. If you want the new features (faster processor, MUCH better camera, Touch ID all very likely). WAIT IF YOU POSSIBLY CAN.Good prices on iPads happen every July and August and we always see people kicking themselves in September. WAIT.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well, my friend doesn't want the deal I was looking at because he doesn't want the cellular part and will wait for a good deal on an iPad without it.

I have another friend and she's low-income, with the accompanying low budget. She's expecting some birthday money in September and at first was thinking of an iPad, but is now thinking about a Kindle Fire HDX, I think that's the top Kindle Fire. I told her to go into BestBuy and look at them there, to get an idea of the quality of the screen. I have to admit I've never seen one in person.

They seem to be more reasonably priced but I'm not sure how they compare with an iPad. I've seen the commercials where they mirror the kindle on a tv but they don't say how they do it. I presume it's wifi and I'm not sure if her tv has that.

If anyone has any thoughts in how the Fire and the iPad compare, please let me know.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I might be selling an iPad 1.

Nothing wrong with it, other than what it won't do compared to a 2 and a Glaxay Tab 10.(something).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Top-end Kindle Fire has a screen to meet or beat the iPad's (I've read).If she's low-budget, and has modest needs, she should look at discontinued Android tablets ($200), a Kindle Fire, or an ebay'd iPad 2 or 3.Respectfully: absolutely do not let her buy an iPad 1. It was outdated almost at release. It's RAM starved. It won't run the current iOS versions and certainly will be very limited on app options. It's not worth it unless free. And even then I'd advise against it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I don't think the iPad 1(and ours is the "top one") has been turned on since the S-GT showed up.

Things the 1 won't do(I'll keep it short)

Play video over the Apple AV Adapter(it will do Youtube.... :rolleyes: )
Work with the USB on AVR for iTunes.
Won't print to network printers(no matter what app I try)

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think she can afford the initial purchase of something like the hdx. Iwant to make sure she doesn't have some rediculous monthly outlay to run the cellular part. She doesn't have a pc at home, nor wifi. She's going to have to have cellular, but don't want it to be too expensive. Do you know what it takes to mirror on to the TV with the hdx?I don't think she'd be interested in a very outdated iPad. I wouldn't recommend it. Sorry.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Johnny Angell said:
I think she can afford the initial purchase of something like the hdx. Iwant to make sure she doesn't have some rediculous monthly outlay to run the cellular part. She doesn't have a pc at home, nor wifi. She's going to have to have cellular, but don't want it to be too expensive.Do you know what it takes to mirror on to the TV with the hdx?I don't think she'd be interested in a very outdated iPad. I wouldn't recommend it. Sorry.
I'm not sure that's the best question to ask. :)

What does she want to do? If the priority is "watch internet video on TV", the answer may be "buy a Roku" or AppleTV or Amazon FireTV. The best choice might be separate from what tablet to buy.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm now in a similar situation. My wife wants to buy her sister's used iPad Air 32GB. I'm trying to figure out what price would be fair to them and acceptable to me. Thoughts?Especially with new iPads, and expected iPad Air price drop 3 months away.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Look at what Apple is charging for the previous 32gb iPad and take $50 off that price as a "friends and family discount".

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's $450. That's around the going price on eBay. We're discussing. I'm not sure it's worth saving $150 off a new model, especially with next iteration 3 months away.We'll see. I think I'm ok with $400, $450 doesn't excite me.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So is it worth $150 to deal with ebay / craigslist creeps and scammers? Not for me, YMMV. Don't forget all the fees you will eat on that including Paypal. Split the difference if you must to find that fair.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We've offered $400 shipped. I'm ok with that and it's a fair price for the reasons you list. They're going to try to sell it locally for $450 this week. If no success, we'll buy it. And for the reasons you list, I'm interested in buying it from them. In three months, there will be iPad Airs flooding eBay. But then I have to do eBay to try and win at my desired price. Meh.We've got friends that may buy our iPad 2, for their 8 yo son, for $150. I need to check that's a fair price to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks