What's new

iOS in the car (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This could be huge, and very expensive. But those screens...this feels like a $2000 dealer option now that no one wants their crappy GPS anymore.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't the old Crappy GPS/bundle offered by dealers a $2000 option already? I know I paid something along those lines for in car navigation package, and it's a POS. I use google maps or apple when I need nav.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yep. That's why I see this as a new $2000 option to replace the nav packages that are being killed by $99 phones.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
They've been selling this as phone case and home charging base for a couple years. And Palm Pre had such technology integrated. Interesting that they're pursuing a licensing deal with auto makers. Of course, it requires you have a special case or doodad for an iPhone since they don't have inductive charging built in. I like the idea, but I use my phone as my GPS, so this doesn't suit my needs. But I'm hopeful about recent conversation on MacBreak Weekly, that there's a lot of iPhone options coming via AirPlay and ios7, even for sub-$20k cars.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
At the risk of being a party popper, studies are showing that even hands free operation of a cell phone reduces the driver's attentiveness to his primary function: driving the car.

I'm really getting worried about all the distractions that are appearing in cars these days.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Johnny Angell said:
At the risk of being a party popper, studies are showing that even hands free operation of a cell phone reduces the driver's attentiveness to his primary function: driving the car. I'm really getting worried about all the distractions that are appearing in cars these days.
You've not seen me navigate LA with printed maps off MapQuest. Trust me, an iPhone is an improvement. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I could use a new car in the next year or three. I can see that my choice of smartphone is going to have a big impact on what car I might buy.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

jrdnlc

Auditioning
Real Name
Jordan
I can't wait to purchase my new Mercedes with this built in. Apple has done it again

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Probably going to lease a Lincoln after my Cadillac lease expires.

Happy to hear Apple has partnered with Ford

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm in the market for a car maybe 2015 or 2016. I'm waiting for Apple and android integration to be standard. I'm looking forward to seeing these new systems roll out!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks