What's new

iOS 8 (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I don't care about multi tasking on the iOS level. That's why I have a MBP. I am concerned about what it may do to battery life.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I don't care about multi tasking on the iOS level. That's why I have a MBP. I am concerned about what it may do to battery life.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Doing the math on the rumored bigger iPhone resolution:
http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/14/likely-iphone-6-with-sharper-larger-1704-x-960-resolution-screen-in-testing/
From a developer’s perspective, the current iPhone 5/5s/5c display has a resolution of 568 x 320, up from 480 x 320 in the original iPhone. However, there are actually twice as many pixels in each direction to create a sharper image. In other words, an iPhone 5s with a non-Retina (or “1X”) display would have an actual resolution of 568 x 320 (which is the 1136 x 640 resolution divided by 2). We’ll call this the “base resolution” of the iPhone 5/5s/5c.
3X mode:
Fast forward to 2014, and Apple is preparing to make another significant screen adjustment to the iPhone. Instead of retaining the current resolution, sources familiar with the testing of at least one next-generation iPhone model say that Apple plans to scale the next iPhone display with a pixel-tripling (3X) mode.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've argued that Apple had two basic choices: bigger pixels (same count) or more pixels (more count). Or some combination of both ... Hand waving...no idea what that would be...Apple might be doing that middle ground: increasing actual pixel count by 50% while keeping the logical pixel the same with a new 3x scaling (150% relative to the current 5/5S). I didn't expect that. I haven't wrapped my head around it yet. As a 40-something, starting to lose my visual accommodation, I'm cautiously enthused. But I don't know it's the best solution for a bigger phone. We may know more after WWDC.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Doubtful. I suspect WWDC is going to be all iOS8, Mavericks v2 (Yosemite?) and new form factor Macbook. With an August / September special event for phones pads and maybe more.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Interesting essay. It was so long and ranging, I'm not sure what to say about it. It adds to the perception that:
* No one understands photo stream
* No one understands iCloud / syncing
* Sandboxing is still really hard on the Mac and developers struggle with it
* Everyone's still waiting to see if/how sandboxing of files and cross-app sharing of files gets worked out for both iOS and OS X

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Financial Times is reporting that Home Automation will be a big play in WWDC next monday:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/26/5751816/apple-developing-home-automation-features-for-iphone-report
http://techcrunch.com/2014/05/26/apple-said-to-be-prepping-smart-home-software-platform-for-wwdc-reveal/

Starts to make sense why Google bought Nest. All of these companies finally taking it seriously, drinking the milkshake of Microsoft who laid out a vision for this as far back as Bill Gates' Road Ahead and earlier with things like X-10...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Just read that WebKit is getting access to the optimized JavaScript interpreter than Safari currently only has. This will be a big deal for all the apps with their own webviwers! This will feed up RSS apps, to say the least.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am intrigued by what I saw in the iOS 8 demos.

...not that there is anything significant (within my interests) that
Android doesn't already have.

...that is, except the hand-off/continuity/phone to Mac features.

That, along with the 5.5 iPhone hardware, may sway me to return
to the iPhone brand.

I just don't want to be locked into the iOS environment. There is a
report this morning that hackers are very confident of an iOS 8 jailbreak.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'll go on record saying I don't think you are gonna see a 5.5. The 4.7 rumor seems too prevalent with actual replacement parts leaks but the 5.5 seems like a pipe dream based on internal tests only, for this year anyway.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Family sharing can't get here soon enough.
IMG_0011.PNG

(My wife bought Ticket to Ride. We both have it on our iPads and play locally. She bought the in-app Europe expansion. I can't download it nor can I buy. I'm willing to pay an additional $5 because I want to play the game. iTunes won't take my money unless I first delete and buy my own copy of TTR. I'll just wait until September to play TTR Europe.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks