What's new

iOS 4 now live! (1 Viewer)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
OK. So this has happened before, and I'm not sure why.

Whenever I try and get new OS for my Iphone 3G it first goes through "backing up Iphone" and it always seems to get stuck at one spot. One time I did it and it would get stuck at 85%, last night, 5%. It just sits there for an hour.

This happen to anyone else? It's not a old PC issue or memory, not sure what to try though.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
As of yesterday a jailbreak became available

for the 3GS iOS4.

This morning I downloaded the new iOS and

did a complete jailbreak. All went well.

I am in awe of this new OS upgrade. It feels

like a totally new iPhone experience.

I spent some time creating folders and clearing

all the clutter across my 6 screens down to just

two.

The multi-tasking works well -- and I love the

animated effect as you go from one program

to another. An added bonus that you never lose

your place in the program you leave behind.

The integrated mail is well overdue. Nice to see

that finally taken care of.

If I don't end up getting an iPhone 4 because of

the scant supply Radio Shack is getting, I won't

be overly disappointed. I feel like I have a brand-new

phone already.

...oh, did I mention that the rain wallpaper is really nice?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Chris:

I did double click and it just takes you from the main screen to the search screen. I am guessing that the multi-tasking doesn't work in the iPod like it does with the iPhone.

Parker

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Parker, I wonder if you actually have a 2g touch, not a 3g. I think you can find out by the serial number, I found this information: The back of the late 2008 iPod (2g) touch has four lines of engraved text, which sit between an “8GB,” “16GB,” or “32GB” badge and a collection of electronic certification logos. The engraved text starts with a serial number and ends with the words “All rights reserved.” By comparison, the back of the late 2009 32GB and 64GB iPod touch (3g) models has a noticeably smaller “32GB” or “64GB” badge, and only two lines of engraved text before those logos. The text starts with the phrase “Designed by Apple in California” and ends with the serial number. Otherwise, the units are indistinguishable from one another when their screens are turned off. http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/apple-inc.-ipod-touch-third-generation/

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Just Jailbroke my 2g iPod touch with iOS4 on it using RedSnow, so I now have a fully functioning iOS4 on my 2g device!

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
OK, how do we get apps NOT to go to background? Every app I open is going to background process, and I definitely do not want that, and it's a pain to go and remove the one I do not want all the time. I've tried to google an answer, but came up with nothing.

There has to be a way, otherwise this is crappy multitasking support.

Edit:

Finally found a thread at Apple and no, there is no way to stop an App from going to the recently open bar. I hope they work on this a bit more. I should be able to control what I want sent to background and what I don't want.

Almost better to go back to version 3 jail brake with the backgrounder app, but I do like some other things.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is it causing problems? Because apps, except for some specific cases, don't continue processing and computing in the background even though they're "multitasked". They're frozen, taking up RAM, until purged because something else needs the memory.

I think this is going to be one of those Apple way-of-life things. In various key ways, to use an Apple product you have to stop worrying about the details and just use it and trust it. :)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I haven't tested, but across a lot of my admin boards is a warning to staff to not upgrade to IOS4, because it breaks MS Exchange Calendar connector.

http://ht.ly/22UF2

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2469473&tstart=1

Issue appears to be under IOS4, it now no longer supports retro active flagging or calendars that go back for a distance. This will be a significant issue for those that use timeline tracking.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Dennis*G

OK, how do we get apps NOT to go to background? Every app I open is going to background process, and I definitely do not want that, [...]
A followup. Multitasking is not like on Windows of OS X. Apps do *not* keep running, using CPU cycles, in the background. Here's a great explanation of the whole thing:

http://db.tidbits.com/article/11378

Here's the long and short of it. When you are running an app in iOS 4 and you press the Home button once to leave it, the app doesn't quit. Instead, it goes into suspended animation, like the scientists in cryogenic hibernation in "2001: A Space Odyssey." The app simply stops receiving events from the system; its run loop isn't looping. The app is both backgrounded and inert; but it is still running, in the sense that its resources and interface are still present, so that it doesn't have to be relaunched from scratch in order to resume. That way, when you come back to that app, no matter how, the app can simply pick up doing what it was doing when you left off, instantly.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
well, Since my implementation is from a jailbreak, I cant be sure it works the same on mine as regular iOS4, but mine is definitely using battery up. Went to bed with a full charge, woke up and saw it was at 75% battery, and I found that 3 apps were in that bar, safari, notes and something else non-streaming, so now I have to check and clear that thing out a few times a day, because it is using battery and the OCD in me does not like it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Oh. In that case all bets are off. :) You're not complaining about Apple's version of multitasking, but whatever the jailbreak folks did.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Well, still a bit of Apple as the apps still stay there, but the battery issue is probably jailbrake releated.

I just looked at my exchange calendar and everything is there back to two weeks ago, if I look back further then two weeks, everything is gone.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
First I have heard of a jailbreak affecting battery

life -- but you know what? -- that's not totally

implausable.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Dennis*G

Well, still a bit of Apple as the apps still stay there, but the battery issue is probably jailbrake releated.

I just looked at my exchange calendar and everything is there back to two weeks ago, if I look back further then two weeks, everything is gone.

Pretty much what people are reporting.. that or that it locks up if settings go back a long ways.

I'm waiting the panic calls from an interior decorator monday :(

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by mattCR

I haven't tested, but across a lot of my admin boards is a warning to staff to not upgrade to IOS4, because it breaks MS Exchange Calendar connector.
So what does this mean? I connected to my work calendar, which I assume is Exchange. I've not noticed any problems. Should I disconnect or risk breaking something?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
No. If you haven't used it before, there is nothing to break, Dave, you're fine.

The issue is that for a lot of people using Itunes they had worked up retention of their main office calendar, so their phones carried forward several months (sometimes a couple years) of calendar appointments, as well as pre-scheduled repeating appointments (ie: "Project Site A: Starts Oct. 10, 2008, repeating meeting every 3rd week through October 10, 2012, project completion") Exchange sets that up and works fine. But IOS4 pukes.

Those users see nothing.. if the volume in their exchange calendar exceeds what the iPhone expects (which appears to be about 60 days based on the apple thread) or retains backlog that is not auto-archived, it pukes.

If you're new (you've never connected your iPhone to Exchange before) the issue doesn't seem to follow. And if your exchange auto-archives older calendar entries, it's not a likely issue. But, if you are a user with:

* Auto-repeating events that are schedule for infinity or a period longer then a year

* You retain backlog calendar events exceeding 60 days

Then you look to be zapped by this.

This is not an issue at all with OS before iOS4. This function worked fine before then. But apparently, after several reports and the apple thread, it's busted in iOS4. I'm not sure how many users get impacted. You'd have to be a Microsoft Exchange user who has calendar retention of longterm entries. So, small group of all apple users. But a whole lot of business people fall into that group. The thread at Apple (linked above) is keeping track of it. Everyone is pretty assured they will put out a patch quickly.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Just FYI, I have a 3G and upgraded to OS4, seems sluggish at times for some things, and extremely fast for others. Overall I wish I hadn't upgraded to it because the sluggish things are the things I do all the time, pretty annoying. But I'll have an I phone 4 later this year so no biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks