What's new

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers: Collectors Edition due 8/7/07 (1 Viewer)

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Thanks for posting that review -- remind me NEVER to read that site ever again.

First of all, the disc most DEFINITELY IS anamorphic. It's 16:9 and looks exceptional, it's a huge upgrade from the earlier release.

That reviewer doesn't even state whether it's anamorphic or not, just that "the video is the same as the first release, which was actually of decent quality, especially considering how dark so many of the frames are."

LOL -- and the guy is a "managing editor" on top of it! :)

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
I've learned that not all online DVD review websites are equal, especially when reviewing remasters of titles and/or older films. I'm reminded of DVDAuthority.com stating about the new US DVD of TO CATCH A THIEF "looks exactly identical to the previous DVD offering," and that he "compared the two DVD's and the only difference between this new 'Special Collector's Edition' and the older disc (which is five years old now) is the commentary track on this disc."

!!!! I e-mailed the site with a link to the thread on HTF with screen captures I made and he just replied: "Opinions vary. They looked the same to me."

I guess opinions DO vary, but stating that it IS the same is clearly false.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Wow - I'm surprised that review came from DVD Town, as they're usually pretty good. Plath has a lot of experience, too - he's not some newbie.

That's nuts, though. I watched the old "Snatchers" a couple of weeks ago and the new one yesterday. I think the audio is the same, but the new transfer is miles above the old one. It's anamorphic and looks great. I e-mailed my Town buddy John Puccio to see what he knows about Plath's "review" - I can't believe he actually watched it, or at least I can't believe Plath watched BOTH. He may have just looked at Puccio's review of the old one, said "that sounds about right" and left it at that... :rolleyes

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Well I'll be ... Well, thanks for letting me know that it is indeed anamorphic. Think I'll be picking this one up.

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
I think the old non-anamorphic disc was repackaged a short while ago with a cover that's kinda similar to the brand new one. Maybe that's causing confusion?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

No, that doesn't explain why a couple of reviews seem to think it's the same transfer. DVD Town changed theirs when I e-mailed, but I still wouldn't put any faith in it - or in the DVD Talk review, since both think the 2007 SE looks the same as the old DVD. It's a night and day difference, and not a matter of opinion - the new one is a radical upgrade. Anyone who says they look the same didn't actually compare the two.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
I've certainly had my issues with Colin before (most notably, his 9-to-5 review), but he's dead-on here...the two transfers are worlds apart.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Is this really your attitude? I mean people make mistakes and even one typo in the wrong place can have its effect. Sure, "bad review" is "bad review" when it comes to that, but don´t blame the whole site. Reviews are not rocket science (VERY time consuming, though), so many different people make them. Some are great, some good, and well - some not that good.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Colin, you published a review of the old DVD version just last month. In fact, when I saw it I initially thought it must be for the (then) impending new release. Will you be posting a review of the new disc?

EDIT: looks like I should have waited a day. New review posted 8/16/07. Thanks.

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
The supplements are ok. There's about 35 minutes of featurettes on disc 2. Usual routine stuff. The sound featurette is the best. I think the 2nd disc was not needed. I haven't listened to the commentary yet but I hear it's good.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I am OK with a second disc for sparse extras. The bit rate for the first disc can best be used for the movie. The extras on disc 2 are just OK, like Sam says. But it is good to see them. It is a 30 year old movie, and not a big budget one at that.

Oh, the movie looks great, for what it is. How anyone could say it looks like the non enhanced DVD from 8 years ago or so, didnt own the thing, or didnt watch it.

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam

That's what I was also thinking. I guess it's okay if it means high bit-rates. The nice thing about the extras is that they're not exhaustive. A good 35 minutes look at the making of the film.

The transfer was truly amazing. I never saw any real dirt on the frames. The colour-timing looked about right too. I never did see the old disc so I can't compare but others say it beats it.

42nd Street Freak

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I'll have to give this a go, as the old DVD was one of THE worst I have seen.
The eye destroying, mind grating, smearing whenver anyone moved faster than a snail during the night scenes was utterly unwatchable!

I checked out the scene with the bum/dog hybrid and them running down the sidewalk and it gave me a damn headache!

A fine, fine film so i hope the transfer is at last worthy.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
FYI, the new collector's edition DVD is on sale at Amazon right now for only $10.99 (45% off MSRP).

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Well hell isnt that my luck. I had it on order from Amazon, along with a few other titles. I canceled it when it didnt ship with the other titles. It showed not in stock, and a Sept 11 release date. Maybe they had a few people like me who also canceled when the pre-release orders didnt ship, while everyone else had stock? Now they have to many.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Hmm. Couldn't find any at my local BB or CC. Guess I'll see if I can buy it at Amazon still. Now if they would just put this out in HD DVD.......(bought an A2) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks