What's new

Interview Interview with Twilight Time: Nick Redman on who they are, their business model and more. (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
My Best Buy has cut way down on dvd. Waaay down. But on the plus side their Blu-Ray section has more than tripled in size in the past 2 years. That is a good sign I guess. I'm really happy with my dvd/BD collection. I'm going to continue to buy all my favorite catalog titles at a feverish pace to future proof myself for a possible exit of physical media. That being said, Sarah you make a really good argument and have me breathing a bit easier after reading your posts.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

But the vast majority of people don't care. It looks pretty darn good, and a hell of a lot better than the TV they were watching 5 or 10 years ago.
Doug

The people that frequents this board and those like it do care which is why I think physical media will remain available to those that prefer it over an inferior concept.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
dpippel said:
While I feel there is some crossover, the Blu-ray market is very different form Laserdisc, which was a niche product. Comparing its pricing sturcture to a mass-marketed consumer delivery system like Blu-ray is disingenuous.
Doug, don't look now but Blu-ray discs are also a niche product. That's why Sony has given Picnic and Pal Joey to Twilight Time. None of my friends has a Blu-ray player. Not one. I even had to explain to one that he could play his DVDs on a Blu-ray player.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by Robin9

Doug, don't look now but Blu-ray discs are also a niche product. That's why Sony has given Picnic and Pal Joey to Twilight Time.
None of my friends has a Blu-ray player. Not one. I even had to explain to one that he could play his DVDs on a Blu-ray player.

None of your friends have a Blu Ray player but as of right now 30 Million people...30 MILLION! have players. This does not include game machines and 2011 holiday sales. That kind of sales number is hardly a niche as most business would kill for such numbers.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by Bryan^H

My Best Buy has cut way down on dvd. Waaay down. But on the plus side their Blu-Ray section has more than tripled in size in the past 2 years. That is a good sign I guess. I'm really happy with my dvd/BD collection. I'm going to continue to buy all my favorite catalog titles at a feverish pace to future proof myself for a possible exit of physical media.
That being said, Sarah you make a really good argument and have me breathing a bit easier after reading your posts.

Thanks Bryan! I do like to back up what I am saying with quotes from people in the industry that would know... the studio Presidents and Executives of the majors. In post #82 I have a quote listed for all the major studio Executives and they seem to be pretty upbeat about the current market for the sale of their films. Looking this time last year they were not as upbeat but at the end of 2011 they seem to be.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Doug, don't look now but Blu-ray discs are also a niche product. That's why Sony has given Picnic and Pal Joey to Twilight Time.
None of my friends has a Blu-ray player. Not one. I even had to explain to one that he could play his DVDs on a Blu-ray player.

Too many players and discs have been sold for them to be a niche product now.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There's an awful lot of justification for the Twilight Time business model coming from all quarters; and yes, if they are the only game in town, despite offering high priced discs with few features it is without a doubt a 'take it or leave it' situation. Good luck to them; it's not a great deal of use moaning - you have to play by their rules. However, the cost of importing the product as it currently stands puts them beyond my budget. I don't, BTW, necessarily see the game playing out as they describe quite yet. I think this is the first time since the dawn of home video on little shiny discs that I'm glad to be on the other side of The Pond where I'll continue to support the terrific BFI releases and the marvellous work of Eureka, whose Masters of Cinema range, produced by a mere handful of dedicated enthusiasts, is quite superb. EDIT; it was mentioned way back by someone else, but I feel I have to add my support for the observation - was that 'Occupy Twilight Time' comment really necessary?

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I buy Eureka and Masters of Cinema discs as well sometimes, and I live across the pond in another region entirely. ... come to think of it, Twilight Time might want to consider releasing all 12 or 13 episodes of Sam Peckinpah's The Westerner (1960), in addition to NOON WINE and Mike Siegel's documentary. The series by itself wouldn't fill one Blu-ray, or perhaps 2 DVDs. Right?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I disagree. As someone else has mentioned a few posts back, it's some of the CATALOG Blu-ray titles like these two films that are niche products. Sony "gave" them to Twilight Time because they didn't feel that an investment to distribute these particular films would be worth their while financially. While most of my friends and acquaintances own Blu-ray players (unlike yours apparently), I'll bet not a single one of them has ever heard of Picnic or Pal Joey. Note that Sony isn't giving up titles like Lawrence of Arabia, the Spider-man films, or the James Bonds to outfits like TT.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by John Hodson

I think this is the first time since the dawn of home video on little shiny discs that I'm glad to be on the other side of The Pond where I'll continue to support the terrific BFI releases and the marvellous work of Eureka, whose Masters of Cinema range, produced by a mere handful of dedicated enthusiasts, is quite superb.

Yes, and I'm quite jealous BTW.

While I've been multiregion DVD capable for many years, I've yet to take the plunge with a multiregion BD player. The only player I'd consider buying (Oppo) is a bit outside of my budget right now (as well as trying to justify yet another BD player in the house).

I think though it's only a matter of time (and maybe a title I can't resist) before I break down

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

While Blu-ray has a whole has been growing, unfortunately for all of us as of now it looks like a lot of classic and deep catalog titles are niche products.

Oh I agree, but tell it to Criterion. They've done very well for themselves serving that market with meaty, meaningful releases of films most people have never even heard of. My point was that Criterion has set the bar for high-priced niche titles and so far TT has failed to meet it. If I'm going to fork out $35+ dollars for a Blu-ray I would like to get more than the movie and a couple of trailers. I realize there are licensing issues and other differences between the two companies to consider, but it is what it is.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Jim_K said:
Yes, and I'm quite jealous BTW. While I've been multiregion DVD capable for many years, I've yet to take the plunge with a multiregion BD player.  The only player I'd consider buying (Oppo) is a bit outside of my budget right now (as well as trying to justify yet another BD player in the house). I think though it's only a matter of time (and maybe a title I can't resist) before I break down
Do it Jim; you won't regret it. Criterion was the reason I bought my multi-region Oppo (and BTW, Doug, I quite agree)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by Richard--W

I buy Eureka and Masters of Cinema discs as well sometimes, and I live across the pond in another region entirely.

... come to think of it, Twilight Time might want to consider releasing all 12 or 13 episodes of Sam Peckinpah's The Westerner (1960), in addition to NOON WINE and Mike Siegel's documentary.

The series by itself wouldn't fill one Blu-ray, or perhaps 2 DVDs. Right?

Love the Eureka and Masters of Cinema discs too! Very well done releases!

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by John Hodson

Originally Posted by Jim_K [url=/t/317186/interview-with-twilight-time-nick-redman-on-who-they-are-their-business-model-and-more/90#post_3882906]

Yes, and I'm quite jealous BTW.

While I've been multiregion DVD capable for many years, I've yet to take the plunge with a multiregion BD player. The only player I'd consider buying (Oppo) is a bit outside of my budget right now (as well as trying to justify yet another BD player in the house).

I think though it's only a matter of time (and maybe a title I can't resist) before I break down

Do it Jim; you won't regret it. Criterion was the reason I bought my multi-region player (and BTW, Doug, I quite agree)

Yes it gives you the opportunity to own many movies not available here in the US.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Douglas Monce said:
Then I suspect in the fairly near future you won't be watching many movies.
WRONG! If I'm still ALIVE at some future Date when the only option for seeing films at home is Streaming, well I will turn totally to my 2300+ and counting library of DVDs/BDs & watch them exclusively until I am Dust. I REPEAT, I will not support Streaming at all! Mr Monce Sir, do you have the Scoop on the exact date that DVDS and BDs will cease FOREVERMORE & disappear into thin air? If you do please share that info. If I know the Date I'll make sure I've purchased any Discs that I still wish to OWN. THX

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Jeff_HR said:
WRONG! If I'm still ALIVE at some future Date when the only option for seeing films at home is Streaming, well I will turn totally to my 2300+ and counting library of DVDs/BDs & watch them exclusively until I am Dust. I REPEAT, I will not support Streaming at all!
:D Your dogmatic stance and posts--particularly your use of CAPS and boldface--crack me up, Jeff_HR. Keep doing what you're doing.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I've yet to take the plunge with a multiregion BD player. The only player I'd consider buying (Oppo) is a bit outside of my budget right now (as well as trying to justify yet another BD player in the house)
I own a Multi-Regional BD/DVD player. it is a Pioneer Elite BDP 31FD. A VERY excellent player! I purchased from a company called regionfreedvd.net/ Just add on the www. to get there. The players are usually on sale for just above $300. I owned an Oppo Multi-Regional DVD player. This Pioneer is BETTER IMHO.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Robert Crawford said:
The people that frequents this board and those like it do care which is why I think physical media will remain available to those that prefer it over an inferior concept.
Of course, but I don't know if we are a large enough segment of the market to justify its production. I hope that we are but I'm not sure. However the point being, we should get used to the idea that this is going to become a more expensive hobby because it is becoming a niche market. Doug

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Jeff_HR said:
WRONG! If I'm still ALIVE at some future Date when the only option for seeing films at home is Streaming, well I will turn totally to my 2300+ and counting library of DVDs/BDs & watch them exclusively until I am Dust. I REPEAT, I will not support Streaming at all! Mr Monce Sir, do you have the Scoop on the exact date that DVDS and BDs will cease FOREVERMORE & disappear into thin air? If you do please share that info. If I know the Date I'll make sure I've purchased any Discs that I still wish to OWN. THX
In all seriousness, I am as a big a collector of physical media--Blu-ray, DVD, books, CDs, vinyl, laserdiscs, VHS--as anyone, but if I completely put the kibosh on streaming, there are so many "not-on-DVD "/ "not-on-home video" titles that I would completely miss out on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks