What's new

Interstellar (2014) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just saw the film in IMAX 15/70 (aka "IMAX 70mm Film") at the NYC Lincoln Square theater. Before the show, they said it was the largest screen in North America - been going to that theater for years and never heard that before. Anyway, quick, spoiler-free thoughts:- Absolutely gorgeous in IMAX 15/70. Whether it's footage of here on earth or above in space, this is an epically beautiful movie made to be seen on the biggest screens possible. If you can make it to one of the theaters showing it in this format, don't miss it. - The movie was slower paced than some of Nolan's other work (had more of a "Dark Knight Rises" deliberate pace than an "Inception" breakneck speed) but it was never boring and felt appropriate to the story being told. - I didn't really expect this, but the movie doesn't really dwell on science or pseudo-science. It's much more about humanity and emotion than it is about how spaceships work. In many ways it's the most human movie Nolan has made. This is one of the best movies of the year. I can't wait to see it again.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Josh Steinberg said:
I just saw the film in IMAX 15/70 (aka "IMAX 70mm Film") at the NYC Lincoln Square theater. Before the show, they said it was the largest screen in North America - been going to that theater for years and never heard that before.Anyway, quick, spoiler-free thoughts:- Absolutely gorgeous in IMAX 15/70. Whether it's footage of here on earth or above in space, this is an epically beautiful movie made to be seen on the biggest screens possible. If you can make it to one of the theaters showing it in this format, don't miss it.- The movie was slower paced than some of Nolan's other work (had more of a "Dark Knight Rises" deliberate pace than an "Inception" breakneck speed) but it was never boring and felt appropriate to the story being told.- I didn't really expect this, but the movie doesn't really dwell on science or pseudo-science. It's much more about humanity and emotion than it is about how spaceships work. In many ways it's the most human movie Nolan has made.This is one of the best movies of the year. I can't wait to see it again.
I'm glad you enjoyed it, I will be seeing it on Thursday in Digital IMAX. No 35mm/70mm/or IMAX 70mm screenings near me.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Wayne_j said:
I'm glad you enjoyed it, I will be seeing it on Thursday in Digital IMAX. No 35mm/70mm/or IMAX 70mm screenings near me.
I think it'll be pretty stellar in Digital IMAX. If I couldn't have seen it in IMAX 70mm, that would have been my second choice. It doesn't open up to the full 1.43:1, but even at 1.90:1 it should be pretty spectacular!

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
A.O. Scott in The New York Times gave it a favorable review and it's always fun to read the comments that appear with the review in the on-line version. There's always at least a couple that demand a star or numerical rating. "Was it a good movie or not? Should I pay money to see it? Tell me!" Here's a comment from the INTERSTELLAR page from someone who saw the film who's definitely not a Nolan fan:

Saw this last night at a huge WGA screening in NYC. The audience was restless and often sounded bored. It received a weak smattering of applause at the end of its incoherent dull three hours. As with most of Mr. Nolan's films, the sound and music mix were so outrageously loud 50% of the trite dialogue was an incomprehensible, muddy mess. (Which I suppose is something for which to be grateful.). All of the visual beauty and "deep" ideas in any number of universes can't cover the fact that the script isn't very good and the story makes no sense. The usher at AMC's Lincoln Plaza stood outside the theatre, loudly shouting, "It's great, isn't it? It's brilliant, isn't it?" When the man in front of me said it was terrible, the usher shouted:"Oh come on, guys!" My companion turned to me and asked: "What do you expect from the same director whose last film was about a pinwheel locked in a safe?"

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Hoping to see this within 2 weeks waaaaaay out of town far far FAR (wormhole far) away from my creaky hometown movie theater. We have a very good IMAX theater a few light years away.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Vic Pardo said:
A.O. Scott in The New York Times gave it a favorable review and it's always fun to read the comments that appear with the review in the on-line version. There's always at least a couple that demand a star or numerical rating. "Was it a good movie or not? Should I pay money to see it? Tell me!"
That's why I hate numerical and letter ratings. It makes it too easy to skip to the number rather than read and think about what the person has said.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
8/10. I would say that this is a good movie but not great. I love these kinds of movies. I loved Contact (Robert Zemeckis), felt transported. Again felt transported by Sunshine (Danny Boyle), but did not feel transported by this movie. I was aware at all time I’m watching a movie. I’m not sure exactly why but probably part to some bad acting, bad storytelling and some very bad choices.

***Spoilers*** Stop Reading

Casting Matt Damon was probably too much. I also didn’t like the robot. It didn’t feel realistic at all. Nolan trying to have something different went too far. No way I can accept that a big ridiculous wall is a reasonable shape for an intelligent walking robot. It screams look how clever we are.

Also it was a bad idea to cast Ellen Burstyn as old Murph. That’s the most important emotional moment of the movie and immediately you feel it’s someone else, it’s not Murph. I think even if they had used Jessica Chastain in a bad old makeup, it would have been better.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Todd H said:
Sitting at 74% on Rotten Tomatoes right now so my expectations have been tempered a bit.
I have seen it and indeed you should go in not expecting too much. Yes it's a movie you have to go and see it in a theater. No it's not a great movie!

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Saw the 8pm session at the Regal Hacienda IMAX in Dublin CA last night.

While not perfect, it maintains Nolan's record of thought provoking, visually arresting entertainment, filled with some mind-bending concepts that will probably generate a ton of discussion and online comments (like Inception's final spinning top scene and the judiciously placed cut).

The sound drowned out the dialogue at times, but the bass impact was taut and powerful during the relevant scenes. Do see it in a real IMAX if possible.

3.5/4 for me.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
*sob* I'm sick, so I can't go tonight to see it on IMAX... Perhaps this weekend if I feel better...

Yavin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben Mk
Saw it this past Monday evening at a special press-only IMAX screening, and I was blown away. Didn't even feel the urge to check my watch once. Critics, however, are sharply divided, with reviews skewing either exceptionally high or exceptionally low.

My bit of my take (from my full review):
Its daunting running time can barely contain the scope of their ambition, as even with seemingly all the time in the world, there are still aspects of the narrative that come across as somewhat hurried. Not that it diminishes the impact of the story or dilutes its overall message in any way. The movie's central conceit is that all the science in the galaxy can't hold a candle to the power of the human heart and its capacity for love. And though it sounds corny on paper, it resonates exceptionally well on-screen, thanks to Foy and McConaughey, who lay the fundamental emotional groundwork for the film's ultimate payoff with their brief but powerful scenes together.

Still, those who may not necessarily buy into the film's tear-jerking father-daughter story needn't despair. For even if you aren't able to connect with the story emotionally, Nolan has yet to make a blockbuster that doesn't also satisfy as popcorn entertainment. And Interstellar is no different.

Visually, it's guaranteed to leave moviegoers awestruck. Especially in IMAX, which, frankly, is how it was meant to be seen. Nolan has been a major proponent of the large-scale format ever since he shot portions of The Dark Knight Rises in it. And here, he and cinematographer Hoyte Van Hoytema take full advantage of the ratio, immersing viewers in stunning scenes such as those that depict Cooper's spaceship landing on a water-logged planet and contending with 1600-foot waves looming on the horizon. Rest assured: if it's spectacle you're after, it's spectacle you'll get.
4.5 out of 5.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We've got our reserved seats for a Friday night screening at a favorite theater with a HUGE screen (wall to wall and nearly floor to ceiling). The theater also has an awesome audio system (the type where you feel the wind from the subwoofer movement if you're sitting close enough to the screen).

Reserved seats are the only way to go for a movie like this! No worries, no fuss. Just get to the theater at least 10 minutes before the show and you're all set!

Can't wait!

Edit: If there are ANY audio issues, I'll surely notice them. I'm OCD in that way. Fingers crossed!

Mark

Bobby Henderson

Stunt Coordinator
Powell&Pressburger said:
From what I can tell the MN ZOO IMAX screen will be showing the film in 70mm format.

I assume this is the best way to see it. Although I am a bit confused because I always thought IMAX film negative was larger than 70mm unless they mean the non imax shot scenes are using the 70mm film format. I also would assume this location is showing an actual film negative of the movie and NOT digital projection.
The true IMAX format (film-based IMAX) is indeed printed on 70mm film. 65mm IMAX negatives and 70mm IMAX film prints are drawn through the camera and projector horizontally rather than vertically. One IMAX film frame measures 15 perforations across. It is 3 times the size as a standard, vertical pull down 5-perf 70mm film frame. One IMAX frame is 7.5 times the size as a standard 4-perf 35mm film frame, or 10 times the size of a cropped 1.85:1 35mm film frame.Film prints are on positive film, not negatives.Sorry if I'm splitting hairs or telling folks stuff they already know. There is a lot of confusion about these film formats, particularly in how they measure up to digital formats (the 70mm formats blow away all the digital stuff by a large margin).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
DavidJ said:
Does Christopher Nolan’s ‘Interstellar’ Have Major Sound Mix Issues?http://www.slashfilm.com/interstellar-sound-issues/ // I hope not.
I personally didn't have any issues with the sound at the IMAX showing I went to last night. There were some loud moments, but the volume of loud things seemed a little restrained compared to "The Dark Knight Rises". I don't feel like I missed any dialogue. Hopefully that's more the norm for most people going.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
DavidJ said:
Does Christopher Nolan’s ‘Interstellar’ Have Major Sound Mix Issues?http://www.slashfilm.com/interstellar-sound-issues/ // I hope not.
So bizarre that this seems to be a Nolan issue.

The first and only other time I've encountered the score of a movie drowning out the dialog is with The Dark Knight Rises. Now we're getting reports of the same thing with another Nolan film.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I just saw it and I loved it. And I'm not a guy who thinks that Nolan walks on water.

The only time I had some trouble hearing the dialogue is a handful of times when they were lifting off. And I took that as more of a creative decision that the characters could hear each other via headsets so they didn't have to yell over the rocket noise.

In-joke: Near the end when
Cooper is on the other side of the bookcase, you can see a copy of The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks