Interstellar (2014) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Wayne_j said:
Between now and November 4 there are 2 new feature films coming to IMAX, Dracula Untold, and John Wick. I don't see them wanting to skip those releases to show a 15/70 festival.
Of course not, there's less than zero chance of it happening this year at this late in the game. But I'd love to see them do it one day. I'm not exactly holding my breath on it, but I don't want to think that I'll never have a chance to see "The Dark Knight" in IMAX ever again either.

Bobby Henderson

Stunt Coordinator
Let's see.

Dracula Untold at this point, 5 days from release, has a miserable 30% score at Rotten Tomatoes (out of 27 reviews counted so far). That's usually not a good thing since the more positive, fanboy inclined notices tend to surface in advance of the reviews from more established, well known critics. I think that movie will be a quick flash in the pan. And then Keanu Reeves hasn't exactly been a box office draw lately. I don't know how good or bad a movie John Wick will be, but my gut tells me it won't bring in a lot of audiences either.

I think there's a good chance IMAX will have room for some "filler" content between the release of those two movies and Interstellar. However, considering how the company has behaved toward film in years past, and how a lot of IMAX theaters that had 15/70mm film projection for the last two Dark Knight movies won't have it running for Interstellar, I don't see any sort of 15/70mm film festival taking place.

I hate to say it, but aside from whatever Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight will do for film projection in 2015, this release of Interstellar on film really has the sad feeling of a last hurrah for celluloid.

As much as I have loved film, I can't really bring myself to give one tinker's damn about "digital." Watching "digital" in a theater is not much different than watching movies on my big HDTV screen at home. "Digital" is just TV in public.

The movie studios are actively pulling stunts in release windows to undermine both commercial movie theaters and retail channels for home video release. It seems like they actually want some kind of business model in place where they release a new movie and people merely buy/download it to watch at home. The sad thing the studios bosses and their global media corporation bosses don't realize is that without commercial movie theaters any movie studio is nothing more than a TV production company with no TV network on which to show its content.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
My best bet for seeing a 15/70 print of Interstellar would be if they give prints to museums like they did with Star Trek Into Darkness.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Wayne_j said:
My best bet for seeing a 15/70 print of Interstellar would be if they give prints to museums like they did with Star Trek Into Darkness.
I'd love to see it on one of the museum dome screens.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, no 70mm showings within 80-100 miles of my house. Rats! Now I'm torn between seeing it early (Nov 4, 5 or 6) in 35mm or waiting until the 7th to see it in digital widescreen in my favorite theater on a HUGE screen with Dolby ATMOS sound.

Decisions... decisions...

I know, I know... go see it both ways! :)

Mark

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I would drive 100 miles in a heartbeat. The nearest 70mm showing in my area is 8 hours a way.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Unfortunately, no 70mm showings within 80-100 miles of my house. Rats! Now I'm torn between seeing it early (Nov 4, 5 or 6) in 35mm or waiting until the 7th to see it in digital widescreen in my favorite theater on a HUGE screen with Dolby ATMOS sound. Decisions... decisions... I know, I know... go see it both ways! :) Mark
The film is not being released in Dolby Amos only 5.1 for DCP.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
DP 70 said:
The film is not being released in Dolby Amos only 5.1 for DCP.
Interesting. Well, it's already booked in my favorite Cineplex in the theater that has Dolby ATMOS sound, I guess it just won't be used to its maximum benefit.

Regardless, the screen in that theater is HUGE. From wall to wall and nearly floor to ceiling! It's awesome!

Mark

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I'm not a fan of Mr. Nolan's movies (other than BATMAN BEGINS), but I admire and respect him a great deal. There's an excellent interview and article on him in today's Sunday Times Magazine that sums up his virtues and, in a more oblique way, his flaws, at least as I see them, as concisely and articulately as anything I've read on a current director in a long time. I would urge everyone here to read it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/02/magazine/the-exacting-expansive-mind-of-christopher-nolan.html?ref=todayspaper

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Sitting at 74% on Rotten Tomatoes right now so my expectations have been tempered a bit.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Vic Pardo said:
I'm not a fan of Mr. Nolan's movies (other than BATMAN BEGINS), but I admire and respect him a great deal. There's an excellent interview and article on him in today's Sunday Times Magazine that sums up his virtues and, in a more oblique way, his flaws, at least as I see them, as concisely and articulately as anything I've read on a current director in a long time. I would urge everyone here to read it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/02/magazine/the-exacting-expansive-mind-of-christopher-nolan.html?ref=todayspaper
Thanks for that link, that was very interesting reading.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'll reserve judgment until I actually see the film, but I have to say that so far the trailers haven't hooked me.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
DavidJ said:
I would drive 100 miles in a heartbeat. The nearest 70mm showing in my area is 8 hours a way.
Well, they added a showing a bit closer so I'm driving about 3.5 hours to see it projected on 70mm film. I'll have to wait until Friday though. I have the feeling that this is a film that is going to be somewhat divisive or that it will take time to grow in stature much like 2001. I really like Nolan as a director and I hope I like this one.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
From what I can tell the MN ZOO IMAX screen will be showing the film in 70mm format.

I assume this is the best way to see it. Although I am a bit confused because I always thought IMAX film negative was larger than 70mm unless they mean the non imax shot scenes are using the 70mm film format. I also would assume this location is showing an actual film negative of the movie and NOT digital projection.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to try and see it tomorrow night. I guess IMAX theaters are getting to show it earlier than the promoted November 7th release date? None of my friends wanted to make the trek out of the city to go see it on the true IMAX screen at the Mall of Georgia (not the crap-ass Regal/AMC FauxMAX screens in-town)... LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks