What's new

Interstellar (2014) (2 Viewers)

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
If Terrence Malick or Richard Linklater directed a science fiction movie... GRAVITY meets TREE OF LIFE and BOYHOOD.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I have watched Trailer 3 a few times now and each and every time, that final parting scene in outer space just slams me with massive awe. I don't really know how to describe it. I get a huge 2001: A Space Odyssey vibe from a lot of scenes in that trailer and suspect that maybe it's had a big influence on Nolan.

None-the-less, I will be there opening day. I think watching this on a big screen is going to be a must.

Bobby Henderson

Stunt Coordinator
I'm bumping this thread with some interesting news.

Paramount is asking movie theaters around the country about their projection setups, particularly if they have any film projection capability still intact and operable. The studio intends to show Interstellar on film at least in some venues or even wherever it can. This is going in addition to the studio's already established intention to show Interstellar in true IMAX (15-perf 70mm) in at least a couple dozen or more IMAX theaters.

I wasn't very excited about this at first since there are numerous issues with distributing 35mm film prints to a lot of multiplex theaters, many of whom haven't showed anything on film in years and may no longer have any staff competent in handling 35mm prints and operating 35mm film projectors. True anamorphic 4-perf 35mm film prints can be a step up in quality from d-cinema, particularly when we're talking about the seriously cropped 'scope format. Anamorphic 'scope was the biggest, most high resolution format in standard 35mm film projection. With d-cinema, 'scope is now the smallest, lowest resolution format. But anamorphic 35mm film prints are only going to be a step up above d-cinema if everything is handled correctly. Depending on which theaters show Interstellar in 35mm that may not happen. There's actually some chance those 35mm prints could get dirty, scratched or worse -which would invite a chorus of "I told you so" from many fans of digital.

The thing I find interesting is this: Paramount is apparently looking at ordering a number of 5-perf 70mm film prints for the Interstellar print inventory. I think this would be awesome. Some theaters around the country are already able to run 5-perf 70mm film prints and even have the DTS 70mm time code readers that would be needed (magnetic sound striping with Dolby SR noise reduction is probably out of the question).

A theater equipped with 5/70mm film projection can show image quality as sharp and detailed as one can see in a true IMAX film-based theater, imagery that beats the image quality of any d-cinema system. The theater operator won't have to be financially strapped to the IMAX corporation to show a 5/70mm print. The screen won't be as tall, but viewers won't be distracted by all those aspect ratio changes either.

If Paramount does follow through with this the distribution of 5/70mm prints will give some momentum for the movie theater industry to gear up for Quentin Tarantino's 70mm filmed western, The Hateful Eight, due in theaters next year. QT wants to have that movie playing in 70mm in as many as 200 theaters in North America when it opens. He wants that movie to be one of the biggest 70mm releases ever. A lot of work must be done in advance to make that possible, but Interstellar in 5/70mm will give the effort an extra push.

I don't look for movies like Interstellar and The Hateful Eight to bring back film in a big way. My hope is it will create a niche market at the high end of the movie theater industry to coexist with all the d-cinema installations in the mainstream. It will give companies like Kodak a further lease on life and allow Hollywood studios to still be able to create film-based archival back-ups of their movies. 5/70mm prints could also give other film productions the option to use d-cinema cameras at their highest end levels and actually get the data on the screen. Currently you can't shoot a movie in 6K resolution and expect to get all those extra pixels onto the screen. It's not going to happen in a 2K or 4K based theater. But it can work in the splendor of 70mm.

Bobby Henderson

Stunt Coordinator
It is confirmed Interstellar will have "some" 5-perf 70mm film prints in its inventory. Datasat is prepping the digital sound CDs and 5-perf 70mm time code negative. I don't know when theater locations booked for 5-perf 70mm shows of Interstellar will be announced. I do know the Dallas-Fort Worth market will have at least two theaters showing Interstellar in 5/70mm, and possibly a third site if all goes well.

Again, this is in addition to the 15-perf 70mm IMAX shows going on at some IMAX theaters. Most IMAX-branded theaters will only be showing the movie digitally. I think any theaters showing Interstellar in true IMAX will need existing 15/70mm projection systems already in place. The TCL Chinese theater in Hollywood is the only theater I know of installing a 15/70mm system it didn't have previously.

I'm just hoping these 5-perf 70mm shows get advertised properly. I think they'll draw a bigger than average crowd, provided if the public knows about those shows.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mikael Soderholm said:
I would not go as far as saying it ruined the movie for me, but, man it sucked; when I first saw it theatrically, I was like, 'for real?' when they first said it. That was the most original name for a foreign mineral you could think of, really?
It's not really bad writing, it's just laziness, or lack of imagination, strangely enough, from a writer with so much imagination, which I guess is why it is so irritating.
I disagree with the author of that article, It's a real term scientists use, it's not lazy writing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
FoxyMulder said:
I disagree with the author of that article, It's a real term scientists use, it's not lazy writing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium
Well, it's a term scientists use for something hard to get, but once you start large scale mining it, it is no longer unobtainable, is it? Like on Pandora.
I still think Cameron, of all people, could (and should) have come up with a more original name for it, that's all.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Mikael Soderholm said:
I still think Cameron, of all people, could (and should) have come up with a more original name for it, that's all.
My problem with Cameron's use of the word in Avatar was that it was previously used in the movie The Core a few years earlier.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Brett_B said:
My problem with Cameron's use of the word in Avatar was that it was previously used in the movie The Core a few years earlier.
As Harlan Ellison can tell you, no one should expect any originality from Cameron.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Vic Pardo said:
As Harlan Ellison can tell you, no one should expect any originality from Cameron.
Nothing much is original these days but i think he puts a new spin on old things.

He enjoys the technology side of moviemaking and he advances that technology but i also find his films very entertaining, he gets a lot of flak sometimes and i'm not sure why, i think his films deliver, they are event movies, in my opinion the scripts are better than average and he usually gets good performances out of his cast, i like him.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
Another new and most likely, last trailer. I really hope all of these trailers haven't revealed to much.

Bobby Henderson

Stunt Coordinator
Warner Bros. and Paramount have officially announced locations for Interstellar in various projection formats, including 15-perf 70mm IMAX, classic 5-perf 70mm and 35mm 'scope. 2K and 4K resolution digital projection shows will be available too. They have a page up at https://interstellar.withgoogle.com/ways-to-see. They'll have to do some editing with the theater lists on some pages; the 5/70mm page wasn't complete.

Here's a more accurate list of 5/70mm shows:

70mm-750px.png

Studio Movie Grill Royal (Dallas TX)
Studio Movie Grill Arlington (Arlington TX)
Look Cinemas (Dallas TX)
Alamo Ritz (Austin TX)
Cinerama Dome (Hollywood CA)
Grand Lake Cinema (Oakland CA)
Bow Tie Cinemas Zeigfield Theater (New York NY)
City Cinemas Cinema One (New York NY)
Cine Bistro Brookhaven (Atlanta GA)

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
I am truly blessed to live within a reasonable distance of [SIZE=14.2857141494751px]the AMC Loews Lincoln Center 13 in New York City, which is one of, if not the, biggest IMAX 15/70 screens in the country, and the world (beyond Darling Harbour in Sydney)[/SIZE], so I have secured reserved seats for two 15/70 showings back-to-back on November 5th, and will make a day of it.

I was lucky enough, back in 2008, to see The Dark Knight in 15/70, which was my first experience with true IMAX film outside of IMAX documentaries. I was so entranced that I went back to see it four more times, as I happened to be living in NYC at the time.

I have also been back for The Dark Knight Rises, which I saw twice, and was equally impressed with.

Take it from me, there is nothing, nothing, like 15/70 IMAX film. It is, in my humble opinion, the absolute gold standard of all film product, and seeing 15/70 material in a true 15/70 presentation, on one of the largest screens available today, is really worth the journey. This is, undoubtedly, the Cinerama of our time.

What is truly devastating for me, is that this run of Interstellar may be the last 15/70 presentation IMAX allows for, even though the product itself may still be used to shoot more films and especially, IMAX documentaries. I really hope that someday, IMAX realizes their folly, and brings 15/70 back with a vengeance.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hmm it looks interesting. I hope we get a good look at the alien world (and some alien life forms?) and it's not a cop out like the climax to Contact (1997).

Vic Pardo said:
Well to be honest I enjoyed Cameron's films a lot more than Nolan's.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
McCrutchy said:
I am truly blessed to live within a reasonable distance of [SIZE=14.2857141494751px]the AMC Loews Lincoln Center 13 in New York City, which is one of, if not the, biggest IMAX 15/70 screens in the country, and the world (beyond Darling Harbour in Sydney)[/SIZE], so I have secured reserved seats for two 15/70 showings back-to-back on November 5th, and will make a day of it.
Nice! I just picked up tickets for the first showing on November 4th (I work about a five or ten minute subway ride away from that theater), and will hopefully catch it at least once more before it disappears.

I love 15/70 IMAX. I wish the IMAX Corporation would take the slow parts of the year and use them as an excuse to do a film festival of their biggest DMR blowups and the few films partially-shot in the format. I'd love to see The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Star Trek Into Darkness and Catching Fire on the big screen again. And I'd be pretty happy seeing films that were blown up to 15/70 (but not natively shot on 15/70 film) back on that screen - a Harry Potter marathon, for instance. I know re-releases isn't really their game, but whenever I see something like "I Frankenstein" playing on their screens where it was predicted to be a flop and flopped as predicted, or "Forrest Gump" in IMAX, where it just doesn't seem the kind of movie the benefit from the hugest screens and also flopped, I wish they would just show some of their best previous releases instead. In the week before "Interstellar", for instance, it would be great to see Nolan's two Batman movies and Inception on the IMAX screen again. I'm sure they wouldn't do the kind of business they did on their original opening weekends, but I could see it doing better than the "Forrest Gump" re-release.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
spshultz said:
Another new and most likely, last trailer. I really hope all of these trailers haven't revealed to much.

I listened I watched the frequency. Might buy the film next year.

1836799_10152742253350149_806668059754815424_o.jpg

10661634_10152742254060149_6801383506185863482_o.jpg

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Between now and November 4 there are 2 new feature films coming to IMAX, Dracula Untold, and John Wick. I don't see them wanting to skip those releases to show a 15/70 festival.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks