What's new

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan / Jonathan Nolan) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
For me, even though I greatly admire this movie, now that I think about it more, the most bizarre aspect for me was the Murph character, who seems positively psychotic in spots, like when she needs Affleck to leave the house so she can snoop around, so she BURNS HIS CROPS DOWN, effectively killing her brother's livelihood.

Maybe, "Hey, bro, can you run out for some milk?" might've worked, too.

I think you misunderstood. Murph wasn't trying to get Tom out just so he could snoop - she was trying to get him to leave the house/farm PERIOD because the blight was killing his family. He refused to go so she had to take an extreme measure to drive him off the land...

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Colin Jacobson said:
I think you misunderstood. Murph wasn't trying to get Tom out just so he could snoop - she was trying to get him to leave the house/farm PERIOD because the blight was killing his family. He refused to go so she had to take an extreme measure to drive him off the land...

Right, I caught all that, but from the standpoint of possible actions available to her in that particular moment, it just seemed rather the absolute extreme one. There were probably other steps she could've taken besides torching hundreds of acres of land.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It didn't seem like she torched "hundreds of acres". It looked to me like she started a small fire just to get him out of the house. Nothing major.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
Right, I caught all that, but from the standpoint of possible actions available to her in that particular moment, it just seemed rather the absolute extreme one. There were probably other steps she could've taken besides torching hundreds of acres of land.

Such as? Tom clearly wasn't going to leave without extreme measures being taken. Even though he already lost one kid to the environmental conditions and his wife and other kid were sick, he refused to go - Murph had to go to an extreme to get him out of there.

The bigger problem is probably that the Tom storyline doesn't get enough attention/time for us to really understand him well. I can't blame Nolan - it's already a long movie - but Tom and his family don't receive the attention necessary to flesh out their story...

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Colin Jacobson said:
Yeah, Nolan's gonna release a version that passes in real time - real time as it was on Earth during the movie's events! :D

INTERSTELLAR already felt that way to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks