What's new

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan / Jonathan Nolan) (2 Viewers)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Not much to see there besides NASA archival footage, but I like the tone Nolan appears to be taking with the film.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Oh damn. Nolan is already in the clear with me for The Prestige and Inception. And I've grown to love all of his Batman movies. But this could be really amazing.

A teaser trailer that isn't The Entire Film Condensed Into 90 Seconds™? And which is clearly inspired by that glorious desire to extend humanity's reach and explore the unknown that seems to have all but died in the last 30 years?

Yup. I'm up for that.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
New trailer:

Trailer + Use of V for Vendetta score = MY FEELS

It looks a lot like Chris Nolan's Contact, or something like that. And I love, love Contact. If it's anything like that, I'm fully on board.

(Actually, they totally SHOULD pull a Contact, only the aliens take the form of Neil deGrasse Tyson.)

It does seem kind of odd to me that there are no resources in our own solar system that can be used, and that we must go "interstellar" somehow, but I'm assuming they'll explain that in the film. At least I hope so. They're still driving cars, but have interstellar FTL capabilities?

Seriously, though -- I love that the trailer is all setup, and that it's still holding off on where it all leads. But it's all super-intriguing. I'd like to hope that this is the last trailer they make for the film. I don't want to know any more than this.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Real SF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frakking, Frelling Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
It does seem kind of odd to me that there are no resources in our own solar system that can be used, and that we must go "interstellar" somehow, but I'm assuming they'll explain that in the film. At least I hope so. They're still driving cars, but have interstellar FTL capabilities?
Must be the same stuff, unobtanium, that needed to be mined on Pandora in "Avatar"...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Patrick Sun said:
Must be the same stuff, unobtanium, that needed to be mined on Pandora in "Avatar"...
For what it's worth, and this is probably not the best place for it ... but I think it's unfair how much negative stuff has been written on Cameron calling the stuff "unobtanium" -- people use that as proof of how bad or uncreative a writer Cameron is. He got the term from real-life scientists, who will sometimes use that to describe the perfect element that would fix whatever engineering problem they'd have if only it existed. So I thought it was an acknowledgment of that, rather than "Wow, he's such a bad writer". There are plenty of criticisms of Cameron to be made, and I think a couple that I might even agree with, but the whole "unobtanium" thing being proof of anything strikes me as silly.

(Sorry, clearly I've been holding that back for years haha.)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
So is Jessica Chastain playing the adult version of Matthew McConaughey's daughter Murphy in this? We only got one shot of her in the trailer.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Based upon what I've read concerning the plot -

Climate change has rendered the Earth incapable of supplying the population's agricultural requirements. A wormhole is discovered, not manufactured, and humanity is using the wormhole as a means of attempting to discover a habitable planet capable of supporting Earth life forms. A new 'breadbasket' planet.

While there are a lot resources in our local solar system we may not have the time or perhaps the technology to terraform another planet in our system; hence the need to travel to other stars.

- Walter.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
RobertR said:
So it's a not-so-subtle "man is killing the planet/climate change" commentary.
Let's hope that is simply the driving reason for humanity to travel into space and the movie is about the impact on people/families and not a 2.5 hour diatribe on environmentalism. The 'advantage' of a wipeout of the food supply leaves all other resources intact to build an interstellar ship. A giant meteor or super volcano would also wipe out all the infrastructure needed to build a space ship.

Real Name
Roger
joshEH said:
Agreed. Nolan could direct a movie about a man's bowel-movement, and I would still watch it. In IMAX. (Can't wait 'till Michael Caine starts blabbing the plot, or what he thinks the plot is.)
Good old Michael Caine, he is certainly amusing. I remember an interview he did once and they asked him why he was in Jaws: The Revenge and he said in his own typical way, "well I opened the script and it said fade in the Caribbean, so i thought, I need a good holiday" which I thought was a genius answer. He also said that the money he made from that brought him a lovely house, which is a nice bonus.

Anyway, back on topic. Since the release of the second trailer recently, this is at the top of my must see list for 2014.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Josh Steinberg said:
For what it's worth, and this is probably not the best place for it ... but I think it's unfair how much negative stuff has been written on Cameron calling the stuff "unobtanium" -- people use that as proof of how bad or uncreative a writer Cameron is. He got the term from real-life scientists, who will sometimes use that to describe the perfect element that would fix whatever engineering problem they'd have if only it existed. So I thought it was an acknowledgment of that, rather than "Wow, he's such a bad writer". There are plenty of criticisms of Cameron to be made, and I think a couple that I might even agree with, but the whole "unobtanium" thing being proof of anything strikes me as silly.

(Sorry, clearly I've been holding that back for years haha.)
Here's a rant that describes my feelings exactly: http://open.salon.com/blog/the_new_number_two/2010/01/18/unobtainium_is_a_joke_and_so_is_your_movie
I would not go as far as saying it ruined the movie for me, but, man it sucked; when I first saw it theatrically, I was like, 'for real?' when they first said it. That was the most original name for a foreign mineral you could think of, really?
It's not really bad writing, it's just laziness, or lack of imagination, strangely enough, from a writer with so much imagination, which I guess is why it is so irritating.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Mikael Soderholm said:
Here's a rant that describes my feelings exactly: http://open.salon.com/blog/the_new_number_two/2010/01/18/unobtainium_is_a_joke_and_so_is_your_movie
I would not go as far as saying it ruined the movie for me, but, man it sucked; when I first saw it theatrically, I was like, 'for real?' when they first said it. That was the most original name for a foreign mineral you could think of, really?
It's not really bad writing, it's just laziness, or lack of imagination, strangely enough, from a writer with so much imagination, which I guess is why it is so irritating.
That's a great, funny piece. I love the bit about him laughing for two solid moments during THE CORE. (I wish I could have been at that screening.) Thank you for linking to it. I'm not an engineer myself (far from it), so I didn't have the same reaction to AVATAR, but it did seem kind of silly when I heard that term used in the movie. However, the movie had much bigger problems for me, so the use of "unobtainium" was the least of it.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Maybe they should have given it a different name, but that part never bothered me. I just assumed that the material was not actually called "unobtainium", but that was just what the colonists unofficially called it due to the difficulty of getting it.

And c'mon - "dilithium" & "tritanium" are hokey names and not particularly imaginative. I'm glad they didn't go that route.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
For me the use of the name 'unobtainium' wasn't the big problem but rather it put paid to the whole notion that the movie was an exercise in lazy, cheap writing and it killed any arguments that it wasn't an exercise in lazy, cheap writing.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
New trailer up and I am stoked big time. They reveal a LOT more and so if you want to go in cold I highly suggest you don't watch this trailer.

Bah, I can't figure out how to get it to embed.

Try here at Indiewire.com
Or here at Io9
Or on the www.interstellarmovie.com website. You'll need to enter the access code 7201969
I just don't think this movie is going to do well.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
This looks so much like Contact it could almost be a sequel.Looking forward to it but the expectation level is extraordinarily high it seems - I've liked all of Nolan's non Batman films so I have high hopes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks