Interstellar (Christopher Nolan / Jonathan Nolan)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by joshEH, Jan 10, 2013.

1. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    A long time in development, and for about the same length of time, looking to be one of Steven Spielberg's next flicks, Jonathan Nolan's ambitious original SF screenplay involves a group of space travelers who travel through a wormhole, setting off a complex story of time-travel. It now appears that Spielberg himself has backed out of directing, and that it will in fact be Christopher Nolan's next helming-effort, and his official follow-up to The Dark Knight Rises: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/christopher-nolan-talks-direct-interstellar-410616 Obviously, this is right up the director's alley for a variety of reasons, but it will also mark Nolan's first foray into space, in terms of story-setting. Had a feeling Spielberg ultimately wouldn't do this; it felt like it was "the next thing" (after even Robopocalypse) for a bit too long, and I suspect his finally moving on Lincoln took the wind out of its sails once and for all. Still, if you need a replacement, you can't go past Nolan. The premise sounds like it fits Nolan a lot more than Spielberg, so this may ultimately be for the best. (Also, I'm sure Wally Pfister will prove to be a very competent director, but he HAS to get his ass back in the DP-chair for this one.)

2. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    This is very exciting news. Thoroughly enjoyed Inception and can't wait to see what Nolan does with worm holes and time travel.

3. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Agreed. Nolan could direct a movie about a man's bowel-movement, and I would still watch it. In IMAX. (Can't wait 'till Michael Caine starts blabbing the plot, or what he thinks the plot is.)

Tim Glover likes this.
  4. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    I love that the description of this science fiction story mentions exploration right off the bat, and not yet another war spanning the known galaxy. Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that every goddamn science fiction movie is about war in some fashion?

5. Sky Captain

Sky Captain Second Unit

Obviously, you missed this movie last year....:rolleyes:

6. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    I did see that, and enjoyed it, although not 100%. In addition to the plot holes, I also disliked the pervasive militarism in the film.

7. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    Definitely looking forward to this one. Sounds interesting.

8. spshultz

spshultz Second Unit

John Ratzen
    I'm definitely looking forward to this. I just watched The Dark Knight Rises for the first time last week and it has become one of my most favorite all time movies ever. If he can make a SF movie as good as TDKR then I'll be as happy [mikemyers]as a little girl[/mikemyers].

9. Sky Captain

Sky Captain Second Unit

There wasn't any 'pervasive militarism' in the movie or plot holes, except in the minds of the people who couldn't wrap their minds around the plot (which was actually quite intelligent.) Because it bears repeating:

Stephen Brooks likes this.
  10. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    I sincerely hope that Interstellar has a much tighter story like Inception as opposed to TDKR which I feel is Nolan's weakest effort in terms of writing.

11. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    Interstellar now had a release date: November 7, 2014

12. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Shooting started this past week up in Alberta, according to an official Warner Bros. press release. Nolan's filming in a combination of both 35mm and IMAX, similar to his last few films.

Final cast list:

Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Michael Caine, Bill Irwin, John Lithgow, Casey Affleck, David Gyasi, Wes Bentley, Mackenzie Foy, Timothée Chalamet, Topher Grace, David Oyelowo, and Ellen Burstyn.

Nolan always casts the hell out of his movies in even the smallest supporting roles, and this one's no exception. Love me some Lithgow, and thrilled to see him included.

13. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
  14. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
  15. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

16. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug

FoxyMulder likes this.
  17. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Radioman970 likes this.
  18. Bobby Henderson

Bobby Henderson Stunt Coordinator

I hope when Interstellar is released late next year there will be at least a few IMAX theaters left that can properly show 15-perf 70mm film prints. I wouldn't care about this if not for the fact Interstellar is shooting on 15-perf 65mm negatives for a significant amount of the movie.

It seems like IMAX is trying as hard as it can to remove any remaining film projectors to save money on making 15/70 film prints. Unfortunately a pair of HDTV resolution video projectors is not an adequate replacement for 15-perf 70mm film projection.

IMAX might be installing some new laser-based 4K resolution video projectors by then. That should be a noticeable upgrade from the blurry or jaggy 2K projection currently in all IMAX Digital theaters. It's anyone's guess how the upgrade schedule will run for all those IMAX-branded multiplex theaters. 4K is an adequate replacement for 4-perf 35mm film. But it's still not in the same ballpark as 70mm.

Brian Dobbs likes this.
  19. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    +1

20. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

TEASER TRAILER: