What's new

Internet Radio on the Pioneer Elite (1 Viewer)

apatel

Grip
Real Name
Al
Does anyone have experience using the internet radio features on the Pioneer Elites? I'm wondering if you can get HD Radio, Internet Radio, Pandora or any other networks. Also wondering if this is all free, or if there's a fee for the service?

Thoughts on internet music on other receiver models is welcome as well.

Thank you,
al

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Not an expert on this by any means but I know some receivers have Sirrius/XM capablility but I'm sure it has a connection not found on most receivers and I'm pretty sure there's a fee for accessing it. I get that service for free on Dish Network.

As for Pandora, it's free but you need to register to fully use the service. I can get it (and other music available thru my computer) on my old Pioneer 59txi thru it's USB port and after making a few menu selections. I haven't set this up yet but I'm going to move it up on my huge list of things to do. I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy Pandora more than Sirrius/XM once it's up and running. And thanks for bringing this up as I didn't realize I could get internet radio on my 59 'till you brought it up!

As for which receivers are capable of what, that's going to take some legg work to investigate what each receiver is capable of. Just because a receiver has an internet connection might not mean you can play music thru it.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will contribute.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have this feature on my Elite 94txh receiver. All the stations are free -- there is no fee. The list of Internet radio stations is created and managed by the vTuner database, according to the receiver manual. There appear to be hundreds of stations from all over the world. You can browse by location (country, state, etc.) or by genre.

There is also another free Internet music feature on the receiver -- Neural Music Direct. It provides surround sound music, and the stations are provided by Neural THX.

Finally, the receiver has some integration feature for satellite radio, but I do not subscribe to XM/Sirrius, so I cannot offer much information on how it works.

apatel

Grip
Real Name
Al
Gene and Scott, thank you for your posts. That's the info that I was looking for. I didn't know if Neural Music Direct was free or not, but it looks like you've confirmed it is.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Until yesterday, I had not really checked out this feature on my receiver. It appears there are only a few Neural Music stations, so I wouldn't get too excited. I only saw four on my receiver. Under the Internet Radio menu, though, there are hundreds and hundreds of stations. Several of the Detroit-area radio stations were listed, and all seemed to work when I accessed them.

jcrilley3

Agent
Real Name
Joe Crilley
I have an apple tv set up to stream my music from my mac through my new Pioneer VSX 21 TXH and itunes has tons of Internet radio stations available.

apatel

Grip
Real Name
Al
I wonder if they can update the firmware in the future to add Pandora? I doubt they would do it, but it would be a great add on. Such a shame Pioneer didn't include that.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I finally used the Internet radio feature on Christmas Eve to play continuous Christmas music. There were 32 holiday stations to choose from just under the United States grouping.

apatel

Grip
Real Name
Al
I hooked this up myself and saw everything you're all talking about. It's all pretty neat, however having something like Pandora or Slacker Radio native to the receiver would have been a nice feature. I listened to some of the internet radio stations, and they work well, they're also organized pretty well also. You can also access a few podcasts.

Overall I'm happy with the SC-27. It sounds great, now if I could only figure out what all of these different sound settings are....

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks