What's new

Interesting read...Are Towers Obsolete? (1 Viewer)

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
For some, tower speakers are an article of faith. Many audiophiles wouldn't consider going without them—either folded into a 5.1+ system or as a standalone two-channel system. For some of those listeners, owning a pair of towers is the right decision, and I wouldn't be foolhardy enough to try talking them out of it. But for others, floorstanding speakers are just one option among many, and not necessarily the best one. In some primary systems, smaller-scale monitors or satellites would be more appropriate; for some secondary systems, soundbars or standalone audio products make more sense. As I discussed in a previous blog, choice of speaker size depends on both needs and personalities.
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/are-tower-speakers-obsoleteI do find it interesting he mentions a good sub and bookshelves can be an alternative. "Those who assert that only towers can produce satisfying bass just haven't listened to enough (or good enough) subs." I wonder what one has to spend on a sub to make it comparable to the performance of towers? Must be more than $500, cause even optimum placement of my subs doesnt compare to tower performance. My MBMs in optimum placement and up against any tower? Yep, Ill take that bet. But my subs? No, even modest towers will beat them in clarity and impact.

Real Name
Scott
I returned a pair of book shelves for the towers just 2 days ago. Using a sub as well, I found the sound from the bookshelves didn't sound full, worse at lower volumes. The sound was much improved mid and high range with the towers alone and then better again with the sub at the same power setting. This won't apply to all of them but the two models I looked at it held true.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks