What's new

Interesting HD-DVD Release List- (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
Very interesting Spero,

It must be pretty accurtae as it has the new date of March 28th for Last Samurai, not April 11th as some sites listed, the same sites showing Twister as a March 28th release, which turned out to be wrong, also show on this list.

Warner's have given pricing information to dealers for the first 5 titles originally scheduled for March 28th but the date is still not confirmed.

ProductID Title
WHV80924HD BATMAN BEGINS (SPEC)
WHV80927HD CONSTANTINE
WHV80934HD LAST SAMURAI
WHV80937HD MILLION DOLLAR BABY
WHV80940HD PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (2004)

I wonder if the Syriana date is still May 2nd & whether Firewall & 16 Blocks will come in June, these should be thie first titles that a lot of people won't already have on DVD.

Il Mare & Jelly Beans have thrown me a little, I can only see these on imdb as alternate names for Lake House (Keanu Reeves) & ATL but that will have only just come to cinemas by May 2nd and Lake House won't even be out.

Also Lucky You, listed for June, only comes to cinemas in April.

Juan C

Second Unit

Johnny,

I wouldn't say the other dates were 'wrong', only that the studio has reworked the slate.

During CES, Warner did announce Twister for March 28, Last Samurai for April 11, and Syriana for April 25. Twister has been dropped, Last Samurai has been moved up (to take Twister's place), and Syriana has been moved down. Just look at their press release.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

would probably end up picking up all of these, although i was a little disappointed in the URs of Wizard and Robin Hood on standard def. Maybe the HD will give them that extra kick.
also, have to wonder if Room With a View is going to use the same PAL sourced master that is on the current disc? if so, i would probably pass unless the PAL ghosting is no longer going to be an issue here.

also- why is Superman listed as both Superman I and Superman : The Movie?

and lastly...i wonder if this is Warners full slate for HD for 2006...or if there will be more added to it.
Body Heat is supposed to get an SE this year, and i thought that was the criteria for HD releases (day and date witht he standard SE release).

The Exorcist would be cool too, but i suspect that will get pushed on down the line for 2008 for an anniversay edition release.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Even though I found those 21 movies I'd be interested in purchasing, I won't be buying in to HD-DVD(or Blu-Ray) until either one format wins or a universal player is made. I know that it's going to be very tempting(especially when we actually see these things displayed in person), but I've got the self-discipline to wait until the smoke clears. I think. ;)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
That is an "interesting" list.
Nothing for me in the first wave.
Titles dropped, interesting.
2 disc releases, interesting.
Thanks.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Interesting/odd that Revolutions has a date but Reloaded does not.

Trying not to get too excited about Shawshank July 11 since I know this list is tentative at best.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Why the heck are some of these 2-disc sets?? Are they STILL not going to use the full storage potential of the new formats???

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I was wondering about that myself. But every "2 Disc" notation is next to a catalog title. I think it sloppily refers to a standard def rerelease that is streeting at the same time as the HD DVD.

For instance, we know from the recent WHV chat that there is indeed a Green Mile 2-disc SE coming later this year. Same as in Spero's post above, its listed with a May 16, 2006 street date in WHV's HD DVD street date press release (which Juan links to in his post #3).

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor

I don't know if the "full storage potential" of HD DVD and Blu-ray represents much of a jump in terms of how much video you can actually put on a disc, seeing how HD video takes up far more space than SD. (Blu-ray has a theoretical limit of 200GB, but I'm pretty sure the BD-Video format tops out at 50GB.) Also keep in mind that triple-layer HD DVD discs are unlikely to be cost-effective at launch, so studios will probably stick to 30GB dual-layer discs for the time being, or possibly even 15GB single-layer discs. I doubt we'll see any dual-layer Blu-ray discs when that format launches, either.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
3 the poke my interest within the fist month is
Batman Begins (haven't seen it yet)
Unforgiven (haven't seen it since the theater)
Harry Potter 4 (haven't seen it yet)

There are other titles overall that interest me, but I am not looking to immediately replace my SDDVDs.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member

Yawn...this whole Blu Ray vs. HD DVD is getting about as boring as the old DD vs. DTS "discussions."

But I wanna see the Blu Ray list too since I'll have both players eventually.:D

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I just found out it will cost me about $700 to import an HD-DVD player, since the format's not on sale here yet. I was planning to wait it out and take the plunge for Christmas, but man that list sure is testing my resolve...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks