What's new

Interesting Article on Blu-Ray sales Rising (1 Viewer)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I'm *ready* to "go Blu" ... In fact, I've already purchased two Blu-ray discs (including last week's Enchanted) even though I don't own a deck yet!

In an attempt to rectify that situation, last night I made the trek to my local Best Buy with the intent of coming home with a Blu-ray deck. They had several players from Samsung, Sharp, and Sony all advertised as being Profile 1.1 compatible; and all were advertised as selling for less than $400. My first DVD player cost $380, so I felt the time was right!

Wouldn't you know, they didn't have a single Blu-ray stand-alone player available for sell at any price!! Furthermore, they couldn't even tell me when they might get some more in. They told me that since the format war ended they've been flying off the shelves.

So this is graphic proof, from my perspective at least, that there was a huge pent-up demand for HD media that was being held back by the format war.

I firmly believe now that Blu-ray will be considered a mainstream medium before the end of the decade!

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

I had 30 Blu-ray titles either in-hand or enroute to me in the mail before I bought my first Blu-ray player (the PS3) two weeks ago, so I hear ya brother! :D

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Statistically speaking, there are a number of questions that I would ask about this. I suspect a number of the titles that were mentioned did not have broad audiences. As a result, dvd sales were lower. Transformers and Pirates of the Caribbean 3 had broad appeal and did huge dvd numbers. Of course, both were also released on one format only. If Transformers and POTC were released in both formats, the percentages would have been higher.

Seeing the numbers on I Am Legend would be more interesting. It made around $200 million which suggests it would have broader appeal than the titles the article mentioned although not as broad as Transformers or POTC3.

I would expect to see bluray sales to show some increase this year because most of the remaining early adopters will jump onboard. Also as Paramount and Universal put out their hd-dvd only hits on bluray, that will sustain the market. After that, the question is whether it can get beyond early adopters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.