What's new

Interesting article on AdireAudio about calculating SPL from T/S specs. Opinions? (2 Viewers)

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_papers/spl.htm
Try your subwoofers using their formulas. I was deeply surprised.
One of the subs I was considering claims 88 dB SPL. It came out as really having 83 dB SPL.
Other one claimed 90 dB. Came out as 89.5 dB SPL (nice!).
And the last one I tested claimed an astounding 96 dB SPL. Guess what. It pumps out 88 dB SPL!
Interesting read. I wonder what your opinions are about it.
Javier.

A

Anthony_Gomez

You get deciving numbers because they are not consistant (intentionally) on if they are going to report 1W1M or 2.83Vrms1M. Car audio tends to report the larger and call it spl=XXdb. Some more reputable audio companies may post the larger, but will indicate 1w1w or 2.83Vrms1M

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Nice, now I only wish all amps used a standard for their rated watts. Then we could use the sensitivity number to estimate output.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
I like their attitude. I'll tell you why.

Some of the drivers I was considering had considerably higher output than the Adire ones, yet cost less. I mean, 8 dB *more* in sensitivity had to be the most wonderful thing around, right? Kinda like someone giving you for free almost 3 times the power of your amp. Had I not stumbled upon Adire's website I'd still ignore this fact.

Maybe, and I'm sure someone else has thought about this, maybe we could try building a web page detailing all these little details, the meaning of Qts, Qms and Qes, building tips, etc. Not a page devoted to an specific project - rather hints, tips and the like for those who want to go the DIY way. I might try to do so in my spare time - I am quite fond of this little "content management" freeware tool I found on the Internet.

Take care!

Javier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks