What's new

Intel going it alone for STB and DVR? (1 Viewer)

K

Kevin Collins

Intel has partnered with a variety of partners for Google TV and with Microsoft for Windows Media Center for dedicated STB/DVR's, but nothing has really materialized in products gaining traction with the public or even coming to market (MS).

Rumors about Intel's TV service tuned up this past March following a report from the Wall Street Journal.

The rumors continue to come out that Intel will announce a service a CES this year for a STB. The DVR would be cloud based that would record all channels for a month in the cloud, thus eliminating any local storage being required on the STB. I don't know how much I like that feature. There are things that I want to permanently have. Maybe Intel would offer the ability to have cloud storage that a consumer could pay for that would persist content more than a month.

Why is Intel going it alone? It seems they were tired of having "half-assed" products and partners in the space and wanted to be in charge of things themselves. Supposedly they would role the service out city by city to control content negotiation issues.

I wait with baited breath to see what this turns out to be.

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin, Another downside with the cloud storage is data bandwidth and potential charges coming from your ISP to access that data.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks