What's new

Insulation advice needed (1 Viewer)

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the process of re-doing the basement room and upgrading the theater. The room is approx. 28x13x7. I have removed the sheetrock on the left and front walls as well as the ceiling. The exposed walls are exterior wallls of solid concrete completely underground. The other walls studs are exposed on the other side as the remaining rooms in the basement are unfinished and used for storage. I planning on using 1.5" foam insulation on the side wall and framing the font wall out about six inches. I don't want to loose any width in the room or ceiling height. I'm ok loosing a little length and right now my main water line runs down the front wall. If I frame it out about six inches and can create a flat front wall as opposed to the bumpout the previous owner did. For the front wall should I also use the solid foam or would fiberglass bats be better. Also, unfortunately, the wife wants a "normal" looking room so that means no fabric treatments, etc. We are still debating about painting the room dark, (we're putting a front projector) Given my concerns about ceiling height what are my best options for insulating the ceiling? I figured I'd put fiberglass in the ceiling joists but have wondered whether it would be worth doing green glue between to 1/2" layers of sheetrock or jus putting up 5/8s.? I'd like to control some of the sound but I'm not expecting soundproof by any means. Anybody have any suggestions on how I should finish that front wall and ceiling?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Brad

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
On that front wall, I would use fiberglass batts. For the ceiling, I would also use fiberglass batts. Are you sure you want to use drywall on the ceiling? Is it because of the low ceiling height? If so, I would just use one layer of drywall on ceiling. Most of the soundproofing is going to come from the insulation. My finished ceiling height in my basement room is only 6'8"tall. I used 2'X2' acoustical ceiling tiles with the "Ceiling Max" system. It uses plastic grids that screw directly to bottom of ceiling joist, saving height. The removable tiles makes it very convenient for wiring, future changes, etc.

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jim!

From what I've seen, I think the Ceiling Max system is going to be out of the budget but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. It does appear that without going to staggered studs or room within a room I'll be running into diminishing returns for the investment. Just thought I'd check the forums wisdom to see if I'm missing something major.

Thanks again!

Brad

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Unless you're doing all the drywall work yourself, including taping and mudding, a drywall ceiling won't be any cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks