What's new

Installing Win XP over Win ME (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget that MS itself said that it did NOT recommend going from 9x kernel to 2000. They said it could be done, but recommended that a clean install be performed. That said, they now claim that XP can successfully install over either 9x or NT/2000. I'm skeptical, but some coomputer forums I've read had decent luck with it.
Personally, I'd do a clean install as well.

Denward

Supporting Actor
if I upgrade my ME to XP, can I then legally install that same copy of ME on my 98 machine?
Two people have chimed in on this and both said it wouldn't be legal. I've been chewing this over and I think I have come up with a fair and legal rationale about why it's ok.
I don't think there's such a thing as an ME to XP upgrade package. There's just an XP upgrade package. Since 98 also qualifies for the upgrade, I can claim to be switching the 98 and ME between the two machines and then using my 98 upgrade privilege for XP.
I think this is just a little shifty but 100% legit.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
By the way, just so everyone knows, it's always been possible to do a right from scratch install (i.e. formatted hard drive) of Windows 9x using an upgrade CD. All you need is a CD of an older version of Windows. The setup program will merely ask you to insert the old CD at some point as proof you had an old version. Then, it will install from scratch like any standalone version would. Simple as that!
The reason I bring this up, is because some of you are wasting money on standalone copies, when it's really not necessary if you have an older version.

Mark,
you are absolutely correct, people do waste money on that.
The problem with 3.1 was a preinstall by the HW vendor. No 3.1 install disk, so I could only upgrade - which is all I did.
The move from 95 to 98 was a PITB. It really was. Yes, I could have installed from the upgrade, and I probably ought to have. However, at the time I was still running a 33.6K modem, and the "updates" that MS had on their website would take hours. In self-defense, I got the (updated) full version - there were a couple releases in there.
98SE in essence was one major bug fix. I could have just upgraded from the 98 to the SE, but again, I was facing interminable downloads. Spending a hundred bucks vs spending five nights doing nothing but downloads was a fairly straightforward choice for me.
On 2000, I got the full version from the get-go. It allowed for an upgrade - and I tried it. I eventually just chose to set up everything from scratch; of course, by that time I also had broadband, and proceeded to download all of the other drivers I needed for various hardware/software packages. Somewhere around 100MB all in all... I hate to think how long that would have taken on 33.6 hookup.
In the future, I will not purchase upgrades anymore. I have had it with those things, they do NOT work well for me. Besides, the latest versions of OS'es do not recognize the earliest versions - look at XP, which goes back to 98 at the most. So what would I do at this time, if I had gone upgrade-only - 3.1 to 95 to 98 to 98SE to 2000? I'd be royally screwed. Because from what I saw of the installs on the upgrades - they will only accept full version CDs, not upgrade CDs...
Mike

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
From my own experience I also always do a clean install now.
I had problems upgrading from Win3.1 to 95, and from a subsequent clean install of Win95 to Win98. Mainly blue screens, sloooooooow boots, driver problems etc..
When I got Win2000, I did a clean install, didn't even bother trying an upgrade.
Glad someone informed people that you can do a clean install from an upgrade version CD, as long as you have the original version to hand.
On a different note, do DELL supply the OS CDs as their own "customised" version? Reason I ask, is that when I recently bought my Sony VAIO (which I made sure was one with Windows 2000 Pro on) it came with 3 "recovery" CDs to get the computer back to its orginal state. This state includes a lot of extra software which I might not want to install again. Might be an option to disable their installation - I haven't tried it?
Wonder how you'd go on doing a clean install with this situation?
On a licensing issue - if I went to XP (which I'm not planning to do) would I need to buy TWO copies, one for the desktop and another for the laptop? I can only use one version at once, unless you class backups/printing across my LAN connection as double usage.
------------------
My HT My DVD Collection

Denward

Supporting Actor
Darren,
I think that with the way activation is currently set up, you would need 2 licenses.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I thought they were going to allow one desktop and one laptop? Sure I heard that somewhere.
This is the biggest beef I have with XP. I run two machines at home and have a variety of OSs on them. I do lot of 'messing about' and experimenting and there's absolutely NO WAY I'm paying for two copies of the same OS.

C. Stewart Weaver

Auditioning
XP offers 2 different options for an 'upgrade' install, when upgrading within Windows. A upgrade over top of the current version, or a wipe of the current version, then a clean install. The first upgrade keeps your personal files and folders intact, and the 2nd version is of course a kill-it-all install. Either is supposed to work...
You can also do it the old tried and true way, like I did -run fdisk, reformat and boot to the XP disc, for a clean install. Like others have stated, as long as you have an earlier version of Windows on cd, you're fine. Just insert the old disc, when prompted, remove it, put the XP disc back in, and that's it. Also, this does not negate in any way, the use of the older Windows disc. No files are copied from the older Windows disc. It's just a 'Proof of Purchase' check, Microsoft just wants to make sure that you can prove that you bought an ealier version of Windows. That's why the upgrade version is cheaper - repeat customers are given special treatment. :)
I would also recommend XP over Win 2K. With XP available for both home and business use, driver support for XP will be far better than support for NT or 2000 ever was. With NT and 2000 perceived as a business OS, vendors that produced home-use intended hardware and software were slow to update drivers, or even write drivers for the NT kernel. At least in my experience.
XP does seem worth it - so far...
Stimpy

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
*groan*
I usually have no problems with Microsoft products, but after installing Windows XP (using the "Upgrade" method), I've found that my ATi Rage Fury refuses to work in OpenGL mode, (Important for games like Quake and Half-Life) and refuses to play DVDs. All of this did work with ME, but I can't go back to those old drivers. Can anyone help me? I'd like to do a reformat, but then I'd have to backup all my saved games and files. It's a rather laborious process, considering my CD writer is in a different PC.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Mark,
I have the same issue. I have the Xpert2000 card, with the Rage 128 chip. ATI just released a driver set 6.13.3279, that will take care of the OpenGL issue.
The DVD for the Rage 128 chips is not ready yet. Their site says coming soon. I'm tempted to try the DVD player (ver 4.1) for 2000- it might work. I don't need this functionality right now, though, so I can wait.
Other than that, I am loving XP. This thing put together my entire PC for me. I did a clean install(format c: ), and it configured all the hardware behind the scenes- and I didn't have to add a single disk with drivers. SWEET! By far, the cleanest and quickest install I've done with any Win version.
Todd

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
Yeah, I installed the updated driver too. It seems that the ones ATi sent to Microsoft were incomplete. While it doesn't fix my DVD problem, at least I can play OpenGL games! I tested it with Half-Life and it works great.
Sheesh, testing it with Half-Life, big mistake! Now I'm addicted all over again!

Mike Lang

Stunt Coordinator
I upgraded from a preinstalled version of ME fine, but I'd like to do a clean install. The problem is I can't find a definite answer to this:
ME was preinstalled so I have no disc.
The only windows disc I have is a 98 upgrade disc.
98 was never on this machine.
I need to know if I can do a clean XP install with the XP upgrade disc using a 98 upgrade disc as proof.
I have also heard that if you insert the XP upgrade disc while in windows and choose clean install, it doesn't ask for proof since it sees your prior version already on the machine.
------------------
Moderator, AVS TiVo Forum

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I doubt very much that you would be able to use that 98 Upgrade CD as 'proof'. It would seem that your only option is to upgrade the current Me installation, or set up for a dual boot. Of course, choosing the first option means you're unlikely to be able to recover the system if it goes wrong. At least with the latter option you'll be getting a totally 'clean' installation of XP, albeit one that sits next to what you have already on your HD.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I did a clean install with an upgrade disc.
I did the old format c:, put the XP disc in the drive, rebooted the machine, and when it asked for proof of an older version, I gave it my WinME upgrade disc. This was the $49 ME upgrade for 98 users.
Give it a try. It worked for me.
Todd

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Blimey, I', surprised at that Todd. You normally need a 'full' installation CD of a previous edition to get an upgrade to work. Good stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks