Installing Delphi XM SkiFi in '01 Passat

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Ten_Smith, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Ten_Smith

Ten_Smith Stunt Coordinator

I just bought the SkiFi receiver, installed it in my home, and I'm researching the best way is to affordably install it in my Passat. I have the Delphi SkiFi Car Kit, but could return it. Is there better equiptment that costs less or a little more?

I plan to put the SkiFi on the dash and the antenna on the trunk*. I'd prefer to run the antenna wire in such a way that it could not be seen within the passenger cabin.

Can I plug the output from the SkiFi directly into my Monsoon head unit with an RCA jack? If I can't do that, the next best choice seems to be a wire FM modulator.

Where on the dash have others placed the receiver?

*-Can the SkiFi receiver be mounted in the trunk and controlled remotely via the Passat Head unit? I suspect it cannot.

2. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

Is the Monsoon unit VW factory or aftermarket? Looking at xmfanstore.com I found this item:
    http://www.xmfanstore.com/showproduct.php?id=vwpcpiox
    If not it looks like you'll have to use the FM modulator.

It doesn't look the greatest but I have my SkiFi set up like this in my '01 Mazda Protege: I bought sticky backed velcro and put one part at the top center of the dash, right above the heat/AC vents. I put the other part on the back of the swivel base for the SkiFi. That way I can take everything down when parking the car.

3. Ten_Smith

Ten_Smith Stunt Coordinator

4. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

Good place. Also try xmfan.com. There seem to be some very technical people hanging out both places. I had some questions about the instal in my Mazda and got lots of help.