What's new

INNERSPACE - Various Problems :-( (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Is it REALLY meant for all those other regions on the same disc? That's freaking weird if true.
This is neither new nor unusual. Warner and Columbia have been releasing multi-region discs for some time, and I know that MGM also does it occassionally (check out the back cover of "Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey").
It's cheaper to just make the same disc for multiple regions and then just throw it into different packaging as appropriate. The discs can even check to see what languag/region the player is set to and display menus and copyright warnings and whatnot in the appropriate language.
This is indeed one of the reasons that Warner and Columbia sometimes fill their discs with so many different language subtitles.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
A-Ha, perhaps this is the problem. My player (a chipped R2 machine) is set to "automatic region" select. Generally this does not cause me any problems with R1 software but perhaps it's getting confused with WB titles of this type.

I'll set it manually to R1 tomorrow and let you know what happens. I doubt it will fix the sound issues (the most important of all) but it might correct the rest.

Thanks for the tips :)

John

Edwin_M

Agent
I returned my copy to Best Buy and got a replacement but it still has the sound crackles.:frowning:

John H Ross

Screenwriter
I returned my copy to Best Buy and got a replacement but it still has the sound crackles.
Centre channel crackles (or static... whatever) seems to be quite common on Dolby Digital soundtracks. Something to do with over compression I believe. But Innerspace is the worst I've EVER heard.

I'll be sticking with the Dolby Surround track I guess. It might be a tad more muddled but at least it's free of faults. Damn shame :-(

John

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Don't know what's wrong with other people's copies, but mine was perfect in Sound and picture.

I own a JVC XV723

John H Ross

Screenwriter
I'm confused why some people experience centre channel problems (dialogue crackles on Innerspace, Superman, etc) and others don't. The errors are obviously present on the disc since numerous different people experience them. The experts have identified them as Dolby Digital compression artifacts rather than equipment conflicts.

So how come so many people don't hear them. Do you guys have particularly small centre channel speakers or something? Do you play back films at a particularly low volume?

I mean Innerspace is a mess! I'm just hoping the forthcoming WB discs are hot hindered with the same defects. I'm looking forward to Firefox!

John

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Maybe those that hear the problem should identify what receiver/player/speaker combo they are using. I didn't hear any crackling and I have a very large center channel.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
As above, this is the equipment I have:

Player: Sony DVP-S7700
Amplifyer: Yamaha DSPA1
Full size Mission Centre Speaker

John

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
David Lambert,

Could you tell me which other movies WB has that are also region 2? I need to know since I want to pay alot less than what we pay here for some of the movies.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
David Lambert,

Could you tell me which other movies WB has that are also region 2? I need to know since I want to pay alot less than what we pay here for some of the movies.
I think you mean Mark_Wilson. I'm the one who is ignorant of this practice.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I looked back on the thread and it was you, not Mark.
David was talking about how multiple subtitle options have been appearing more and more lately. He did not know about the multiple region-coding until he read about it in this thread, so, like he said, he's probably not a good source of information on it.

DJ

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Its been talked about in the regional dvd forum about how WB has started to release NTSC disc in R4. Seems like their going the cheap route and releasing a single disc for regions 1,2,3 and 4.

DarrenA

Second Unit
This movie definitely has some crackling noise in the center channel on the DD 5.1 soundtrack. It's a shame that WB delivered such an awesome picture quality for a 1987 movie, then gave us a faulty 5.1 track.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
What hardware are you using Darren?

for the record, I got no crackling with my Panasonic H1000 into Denon 3802.

DarrenA

Second Unit
Tried this movie through my Sony DVP-S7700 via COAX digital out and tried this through my Panasonic DVD-RP56 via TOSLINK digital out and both had the crackling noise. My receiver is a Yamaha DSP-A1 and I tried it two nights ago in a friends Sony DVP-S360 DVD player through a Denon 3300 receiver and it exhibited this problem as well.

So, three different DVD players and two different recievers tells me that at least my copy is defective. And judging by Edwin's experience, exchanging this title for another will be fruitless.

Edwin_M

Agent
I just wanted to add that I tried returning my second defective copy to a different Best Buy but even that one turned out to be faulty. I think this might be a case of an entire batch of bad discs.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Just FYI people, this isn't the first time that region 1 DVDs have been dual encoded to enable foreign distribution. The first full bit-rate region 1 dts DVDs - like Dante's Peak - had Japanese language options plus that all-important region 2 encoding. The disc also defaulted to english subs when played in region 2 machines, just like our troubled little friend Innerspace. So good to see movie houses make a travesty of a mockery of the region coding system just to save a few quid. Or, er, a few bucks even.
Oh, and as for the Innerspace crackle, I can't detect it on my system. Granted, it's a £180 kenwood amp and a low-grade Sony centre allied to a chipped Pioneer DV-525 (connected via coax to the amp), but the dialogue simply sounds a touch harsh rather than crackly. I guess the more cleaner, analytical nature of more expensive equipment exposes audio flaws easier. Much easier.
In any case, it sounds as if someone forgot the dialogue normalisation when they were mixing the 5.1 track for Innerspace, so the theatrical treble boost on the dialogue channel has remained. And it's led to that crackly, harsh sounding effect on the centre in the final mix, I guess.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'm going to do a search, but i could have SWORN, that there was recent thread about 'cracking dialogue'(beautiful mind or something) and people had problems with the Yamaha receiver due to it having a loose chip, that needed readjusting.
So far it looks like about 2-3 people have a Yamaha receiver, that are experiencing this problem

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks