Inn of the Sixth Happiness (1958) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 21, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    XenForo Template

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Mark B likes this.
  2. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    Dare I hope that "Anastasia" isn't too far away...?

3. DP 70

DP 70 Supporting Actor

Derek
    This is great news, hope the sound is taken from the 4-Track Mag, even the VHS was stereo.

4. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan
    This is on Film Four (UK) quite regularly in HD & looks very nice (the dissolve dupes look like dupes as you would expect), & so does Anastasia, so I suppose it's only a matter of time for that one.

5. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Screenwriter

Steve
    A really lovely extra would be the episode of This Is Your Life that GA appeared on (if it still exists).

Steve W

6. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    Always enjoyed this film with its lush score. A perfect Fox CinemaScope film. Looking forward to it.

Billy Batson likes this.
  7. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Very happy to see that it's going to be released, but I have to admit I would rather have Anastasia.

8. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    A must buy for me and although I'm pleased that this is on their own label on grounds of retail price, I don't really understand Fox's reasoning for selecting titles when they licence out a film like JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH to a different label.

9. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Seems weird to me as well. INN OF THE SITH HAPPINESS is a decent film, but I can't believe it would be better-remembered by today's consumers as JTTCOTE is, if only because it is not a genre film, and not -- correct me if I'm wrong -- a cult classic. There are many aspects to the decisions about what gets released and what doesn't that I imagine I will never understand.

10. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    This was the movie that taught me that "based on real life" is often means "this will not accurate...much".

11. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Screenwriter
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    I was a toddler when this was in theatres and had one of those "Golden Records" containing the tune "This Old Man" song with a credit reading "as heard in the Twentieth-Century Fox Film 'The Inn of the Sixth Happiness'." When I finally saw the movie on laserdisc nearly 40 years later, I was surprised to discover that the song is only briefly heard in passing and wasn't written for the film at all, but was a Welsh standard.

I'm looking forward to this one, even if Ingrid Bergman and Robert Donat are miscast. I love them both and can watch them in anything.

12. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Yeah, I pay no attention to these boasts any more. They can legitimately say "based on..." if even one tiny element of a given story adheres to historic truth. The rest can be total b.s., and often is. It's a ploy, nothing more. Anyone with a high school education should be able to apply enough critical thinking to such Hollywood claims that they would research the origins of the story for corroboration (something even the news channels don't even do anymore!).

13. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin
    So was I, and I don't think I've ever seen it since then. I will definitely buy this BRD. Very pleased and rather surprised. Oh, and yes, I would like Anastasia too.

14. Cine_Capsulas

Cine_Capsulas Second Unit

Gustavo H. Razera
    This announcement came at just the right time. I was about to buy the R2 DVD...

15. Billy Batson

Alan
    I last saw this about a year ago, & it's interesting how the movies deal with foreign languages. Robert Donat plays an old Chinese man who doesn't speak English. In his first scene with Ingrid Bergman, he speaks perfect English, but Bergman doesn't understand him, later when Bergman has learned to speak Chinese they have conversations in Chinese, but speak in English. The audience goes along with this, maybe for some on an unconscious level. There's a scene in Where Eagles Dare where Burton & Eastwood, dressed as German officers, approach a German checkpoint, & Burton starts talking very loudly in German, but he's actually talking in English. I suppose it's all quite complex, but it seems to work, saves spending a lot of time reading subtitles.

16. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    I always get emotional during Donat's final scene with Bergman - it's doubly meaningful when you realise that he would shortly pass away.

ahollis likes this.
  17. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Not to derail this thread, but this is an interesting side topic. Though some older movies used subtitles for small portions of foreign language scenes, it really was quite common for everything to be spoken in English regardless of the language, even as recent as The Last Emperor. It was Kevin Costner who finally changed all that by insisting that the Native Americans NOT speak English in Dances With Wolves and now subtitling has become the norm.

18. Billy Batson

Alan
    Yep, Malcolm Arnold's big full-blooded score is a big plus.

ahollis likes this.
  19. cwilli

cwilli Stunt Coordinator

Cheryl Williams
    wow, I've been waiting for a long time for this one on Blu-ray. One of my favorite films of the fifties. I've watched the dvd version once and didn't care for the transfer.

ahollis likes this.
  20. Lromero1396

Lromero1396 Supporting Actor