What's new

Infocus X1 vs Sanyo Z2 (1 Viewer)

I know everyone has given the Z2 great reviews but I am wondering about what I would be losing by going with the Infocus X1. It also has been reviewed very well at the projectorcentral site. I know I would be losing some resolution but for the price and the fact that I am a first time home theatre person and I don't know how much time I will spend there, I would like an opinion on the X1.
You guys are notorious for honesty and that is what I am expecting
Thanks,
Diana;)

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Couple things:
Z2 - Short throw projector (X1 Long throw projector)

Z2 - has lense shift(X1 doesn't)

Z2 - 16:9 native screen (X1 4:3 native)

Z2 - 1280x720 Pixels (X1 800 * 600)

If money is an issue you could consider the Z1. The X1 is a great intro front projector system. You can demo it for like 14 days(for about 8-10 because part of that period is shipping to and shipping back).

Here is the link: http://www.vernontech.com/partner/infocus/

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Diana:

I had the X1 but I was subject to rainbow patterns that you can get with a DLP projector. You have to go up in price with a faster spin color wheel with more colors to get rid of that effect. I really liked the projector but the rainbows really bothered me. I ordered it direct from Infocus and they were really great with allowing me to return it if I had a problem with it. No questions asked.

The other projectors to check out are the Panasonic PT-L300U or the new Panasonic PT-L500U which is reviewed in comparison to the Z2.

I also agree with Chad on the Z1 as something to consider.

If I were going to pick out a projector for under $2,000 I would either get the Z2 or the L500.

Parker

DuWayne

Stunt Coordinator
Lens Shift was well worth the price...

Also note that yu can shelf mount the Z2 due to the fact that heat goes out the right side of the projector. Not so safe with the others.

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Right now ... Dell is offering the InFocus X1 for US$865. (Delivered, USA). (Requires 10% discount + coupon code: 2802D01F665A)

You're not likely to beat this price anytime soon & this really sets the X1 at a price point all by itself. Indeed, a minority of users have been troubled by rainbows, but it seems this mostly occurs with VERY SERIOUS, experienced videophiles. If you consider yourself an HT amatuer, you need to evaluate it for yourself.

IMHO, stick with the X1 unless you can afford $1500 to step up to the new Panny L500 LCD (If you can find one in stock at that price)

The only caveat I weould offer is .. if you intend to go FP, be sure you are prepared to watch only in a totally darkened room.

Scott

thanks for the inputs and especially the dell info

I am now wondering if it has digital inputs. i don't see it in the specs at dell but I didn't remember that being mentioned in the review

Z2 - 16:9 native screen (X1 4:3 native)

the specs say it has 16:9 wide
i am assuming it is a setting to be changed? that might be what you mean by native

thanks again !

ChadLB

Screenwriter
The Z1 and Z2 are 16:9 wide but can be changed to 4:3. The difference is with the X1 if you put it in 16:9 mode you will have light overspill top and bottom of screen.

DuWayne

Stunt Coordinator
You would be hard-pressed to find a demo of a Z2, due to the fact that they can't keep them in stores. One Online Store had a -31 stock /w a waiting list til March.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
YOur best bet is to see if anyone owns one in your area and are willing to demo it for you.

Rick Guynn

Second Unit

The L300U, L500U, and Z2 all have DVI inputs, the X1 and Z1 do not. Also, the Z2 and 500 have increased contrast ratio from previous models.

Your choice of projector is really going to depend on what you want to use it for and how much you are willing to spend.

RG

sam_canavo

Stunt Coordinator
Well we are on the projector subject any thoughts on
this one Sony VPL-CS6 SuperLite LCD Projector.

I have demoed

Epson s1 = major screen door

Hitachi sw-210 nice but not overwhelmed

Canon CLV-S3 to expensive for the image.

Not trying to highjack thread just though someone may
have thoughts.

Infocus is hard to demo or get in Canada and the
Sanyo I have never seen in a store

Thanks

Rob||Kur||

Stunt Coordinator
The Z2 or even the Z1 would be the superior choice for home theater viewing IMO, especially if you prefer widescreen.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
If the extra $$$ are not an issue, I'd go with the Z2. I've got the X1 and I am extremely happy with it. I don't see any rainbows and it's throw distance gives me a 5 1/2 foot wide screen at 10 feet which is basically the max for me, considering my ceiling height and the amount of available wall space.

Don't forget, though, that the final cost is higher than the actual cost of the projector. You have to factor in the cost of cables (if you need them), a screen (if you plan to buy one), etc.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
... and a mount.

I would have to agree that the Z2 will keep you happier in the long term, if you can swing it of course. It is a newer and better projector.

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
I just purchased the X1 and I can't be happier. I play alot of vid games and I was always worried about burn in on my toshi 57". Cause you know when you get a good game it is hard to stop playing. I think it is a great fp. As for rainbow I just seen them the other day. I was really looking for them though. It doesn't bother me. I love my toshi but she has been pushed to the game room. my living room has very little light for everyday use. so that where will stay. great fp

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Im not sure what you mean here, but IME, the demo process from infocus to vancouver, canada here was easy and painless.

sam_canavo

Stunt Coordinator
I am in Kitchener.

The closest place to possible demo is Mississauga

I see that Future Shop sells it on line.

I would prefer not to do the shipping route.

I did have the sony vpl-sx5 home on the weekend and it was
great but it's xga and out of my price range.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
Something I've noticed thats talked alot about these days is the Momitsu V880 DVD player connected to the DVI input. It's capable of sending a 768DVI signal. With a Z2 you'll get a picture that's will look as close as you can get to HDTV.
With the X1 it only has 800x600 pixels so the best picture you could get is with a 480p progressive scan player.
http://www.extremephono.com/momitsu_dvd_v880.htm
In other words the Z2 will let you use the next generation of HD DVD players that's beginning to come out.
The picture is suppost to be superb.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks