What's new

Infocus 4805 with SD signal? (1 Viewer)

PaulDF

Second Unit
I am seriously considering buying an Infocus 4805 for a basement TV room. It will be used mainly for SD sattelite TV viewing, and some DVD viewing.

I am wondering what quality to expect with a 85" image and plain old SD? I've read mixed reviews on this... Also the sattelite receiver only has a composite out, will this get processed by the faroudja chip?

Anything else to be concerned about?

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
The Faroudja chip processes all of the interlaced formats on the composite, S-Video, and Component inputs and does a remarkable job on SD ( I have it at 140" diag. - 122" wide) and even videotape is watchable (SuperBeta HiFi not VHS). You should try to upgrade the Sat to S-Video if possible and use component for the DVD; no need for progressive output since the Faroudja in the PJ usually does a better job than most DVD players.

Ian Mc

Auditioning
I purchased the 4805 some weeks past and am really impressed - with the quality of dvd playback and both the hd (Bell Expressvu) output, the "hd" channels are good, I presume they push a better signal ? But when the hockey is in true hd it's amazing ..

I'm a first time FP user and have tons of questions ...

The existing Panasonic dvd (rv32) casts a great picture with newer movies with special effects .. I purchased a progressive scan DVD player (a Samsung p721 on clearance) , but not sure if I should unbox it as it sounds like the Farudja (sp?) software in the 4805 does a better job than the upgraded player ?

Do I need to flip the Farudja on, or does the projector auto sense ?

The SD playback is really poor .. is that to be expected ? I guess the benifit is that the kids are less likely to burn out the lamp ..

Someone suggested that I put the projector on permenant 480p, but I haven't a clue how to do so.. The manual is pretty useless and the InFocus site is limited ..

Comments and advice sought..

Regards ...Ian

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Faroudja is always on for interlaced signals (1080i doesn't count). It is needed for scaling to the PJ's native resolution anyway.

You'd have to research the Samsung but I don't think there would be any advantage in using it's progressive output. If it has other features you like then it can be left in interlaced mode.

The PJ has to detect the incoming source so "permanent 480p" doesn't even apply to the display. Only the source could be left in a progressive mode; and that would only be if it does a better job of deinterlacing and scaling than a Faroudja DCDi processor.

SD will never match HD or DVD but SD should be watchable. It depends on the source as much as anything. "very poor" doesn't give much information for troubleshooting.

Ian Mc

Auditioning
Thx Steve ... I may use the Samsung as it has both optical and digital coax outputs .. My receiver has only one optical input and that's the only option for my hd satelite receiver. I have to play with the PJ to get to know it better. We have the football on today and there are a few brief moments where what I think is the screen door effect kicks in. It goes away as soon as there's a camera change, I hope it's something to do with the feed.

Anyone know if it's worthwhile to see if there are any firmware updates ? I assume I download to the pc and then plug the dvi cable into the projector and the usb to the pc ? How do you invoke the download to the PJ ?

regards .. Ian

PaulDF

Second Unit
Ok, we've had the 4805 set up now for about a month. Watching mostly SD sattelite TV and some DVDs. Using the composite in for satt and component for DVD. The picture quality for SD is really not too bad, considering the size of 75"... DVDs look quite good, comparable to my Sanyo Z3.

Now, I plan to upgrade the sattelite receiver to HD, and utilize a better cable to the projector.

My question is this: Do I need to use the DVI output to see true HD? Can I use the component output and still get HD?

I would like to use component in order to allow the signal to be processed by the fajrouda chip for SD. I am of the understanding that the DVI input bypasses the fajrouda chip, correct?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Only 480i is processed by that chip, other resolutions don't need it...they don't need to be line-doubled. I don't think the 4805 will accept 480i via DVI.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I get my TV signals through my phone lines along with my DSL Internet. Even though the incoming signal is digital, all shows are SD. Originaly I used the S-video from the "cable" box to the 4805. On a 95" screen, the picture was OK on some channels and not so good on others. So I moved the box back to the living room. I thought I would watch TV in the theater only a few times a year. I ran the old standard co-axial cable to my Sony VCR and then s-video to the projector. Turns out all of the channels look decent now on a 105" screen. I am guessing that the VCR is doing some processing.

ChrisKen

Auditioning
So, one should run S-Video from Sat receiver to this projector for decent TV? I'm probably going to use 80" screenm trying to find out what to expect.

What about DVD? Is thre image just as good a a CRT television or better using S-Video or Component from DVD player?

PaulDF

Second Unit
Chris, in my opinion, component connections should be a slight improvement over S-vid. I use component for DVD, and if you've only got 1 component input, then use s-vid for the sat receiver.

The image can't really be compared to a CRT set, IMO. It is easier to look at, and after getting used to the small differences, I prefer the front projector image over most CRTs. With my Z3 (and also with the 4805), the colors are quite vivid, and the resolution is much better than that of a budget-mid priced CRT set. Though a dark room is needed for the very best picture...

If you've never seen a PJ in action, try to go to a store where they can demo one or two for you, just so you have some idea what to expect besides word of mouth.

PaulDF

Second Unit
Okay, now I have upgraded the satt. receiver to HD, but still have a question.... (yes, I am slow to upgrade, but its not MY project...)

I am using the component cable from the satellite receiver to the 4805, and s-vid for DVD.

Now, the satt. receiver had a switch to toggle the output between 480i, 480p, 720i, 720p, and 1080i. The 1080i setting gives the best HD picture, so I left it there. But, now I am wondering how that will affect the SD channels.... Will they still be sent out as 480i? (and therefore processed by the faroujda chip)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks