What's new

InFocus 4805 TVAuthority Q&A (2 Viewers)

James Wis

Auditioning
Paul I used that calculator and it says for that size screen, mount anywhere between 11'9"and 14'3" so I put my blocking from 11'9" to 13'3".That should do it.Worse case I'll just use a couple dry wall anchors to mount the ceiling mount.I used two 2x8's side by side for blocking so I should be good.Thanks for the help.
I ran 11/2" conduit to the PJ but it looks a little small,should I run 2" instead? I don't know the size of an M1 end if I choose to run a DVI to M1.I tried a DVI cable from my computer monitor and it just fits in the 1 1/2" conduit.Are they the same dimensions?
Thanks again for the help.
James

Kin

Agent
The calculator that terence uses is the same calculator I use. I like it because it shows screen offset.

Kin

Agent
Thank you all for your continuing positive input! Lets keep the information flowing!

More news for you all! This is a good one, too!

You now have your choice of the mail in reabate for the screen and 30 foot s-video wire, or a clean and easy $100 mail in rebate. I wish you could, but you can not use both. I already checked ;)

[email protected]
1(888)286-5353 Ext 522

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
Well . . . I'm a proud 4805 owner. I absolutely love it. My HT room is about 12' x 12' and I sit against the back wall with a picture size around 90" or so. It is stunning. It's like being in the movie theater. DVD's are beautiful and High Definition, (via Comcast Cable), is simply stunning.

Kin, I have a question for you:

I use a Denon 1600 DVD player, hooked up with component cables into the 4805. The Denon 1600 is one of the top rated dvd players of all time according to the Secrets test results. Right now, I'm using the chips in the Denon to process the dvd and pass it to the projector as an 480i signal, however, the new Faruda chip in the projector is supposed to be magic. Should I use the "progresive scan" feature of the Denon and pass a 480p signal to projector instead? Would this improve picture quality?

I know, you could answer to do what looks best to me, but the darkness settings of the two processes are so different it is hard for me to see the differences.

Which is technically the best way to watch the dvd? Should I use the chips in the Denon or the Faruda chips in the projector?

Thanks.

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator
It's the other way around, Dave. The Faroudja processor applies to 480i input. If you send it 480p input, it will bypass the processor. (The basic function of the processor is to deinterlace the signal. The NTSC signal stored on all DVDs is interlaced -- the question is whether you deinterlace it within the DVD player, or within the projector.)

I would apply some basic calibration and then do some A-B testing and see which is better. I did this myself -- I have a cheap Philips DVD727, and its progressive-scan output is not good at all, so I ended up sticking with 480i. I think most of the 4805 owners in this forum are doing the same.

Kin

Agent
Pat Frank is right. Right now you aren't using the scaler in the Denon. You are using the scaler on the projector. How do you have it hooked up? Component?

Christo Ramo

Stunt Coordinator
How dark does the room have to be to see a good picture. Has anyone watched a movie with the lights on? Does this create a problem?

Andy_A

Second Unit

I would run the dvd player to the projector via composite or s-video. Both will use the internal Faroudja DCDi. Question: Which would be better or would they both be the same? I plan on running all of my video sources (dvd, ld, cable) via one long cable, either s-video or composite, and letting the DCDi handle all the processing.

Another question: what is the IRE of the free screen that is offered?

Another question: I have about an 8 foot ceiling and plan on having the 4805 about 11 feet from the wall. I would like to mount it on the wall above me but from what I understand it projects the image up. Would I have to use keystone correction if I mount the 4805 toward the ceiling? I want to avoid keystone correction. Would it help if I mount it lower or put it on a pedestal? Thanks

James Phung

Second Unit
Andy,
If you can use component instead of svideo/composite then do it, otherwise, go with svideo. I must note that with svideo/composite, you will only be able to receive 480i signals. You need component (or hdmi/dvi) to receive 480p/720p/1080i signals.

The 4805 projects the image up for table mounting. When you wall mount the 4805, you would flip the projector over, so the image is projected down but will be backwards. There is a ceiling option in the 4805's menu that will flip the image for ceiling mount situations. Additionally there is also a rear option for those who want to try rear projection with the 4805 that will flip the image horizontally.

Andy_A

Second Unit
Thanks for the information. Is there any disadvantage to flipping it upside down when wall mounting? If not, this is how I will set it up.

Kin

Agent
Hi Andy,
There is no disadvantage to mounting upside down. All it does is flips the image around. How were you planning on mounting it to the shelf? Were you going to use the InFocus ceiling mount for that?

Andy_A

Second Unit
I couldn't use a ceiling mount because the ceilings are drop ceilings. I'd have to use some sort of wall mount. Is there a wall mount that will allow me to mount the projector upside down? Thanks

KirkP

Agent
Hi everyone,

I wanted to address the fan noise that was mentioned in a couple of the posts. You can adjust the fan speed by selecting "settings" within the menu and then checking "low power". This will of course lower the lumen output but at least in the case of my own 4805, significantly reduced the fan noise.

KirkP

Agent
Andy,

You can still use the ceiling mount even if you have a drop ceiling. You attach the ceiling plate to your structural ceiling and then using extension piping to drop down through the ceiling tile to the required height needed to project correctly to the screen. Another option we offer is from Peerless, they manufacturer a kit that replaces your ceiling tile and incorporates a mount into their tile so you don't have to drop from the structural ceiling down. Their tile attaces with 4 tie wires to the structural ceiling and is more than capable of supporting the weight of this projector.

KirkP

Agent

Andy_A

Second Unit
wow, the first option should work great for me. I'm looking forward to seeing this projector in action.

Christo Ramo

Stunt Coordinator
Does the projector have to be perpendicular to the screen? Can I mount it so that the image is projected on an angle to the screen? Will it correct for this?

James Phung

Second Unit
Ideally, the projector should be perpendicular to the screen. If you angle the projector, it will shoot a trapezoidal image that you can correct using keystone correction. Using keystone correction though will degrade the picture quality.

I must not that the 4805 has a vertical offset of around 27%. This means the image is projected at 27% of the screen height above the projector. For example, if you have a 92" diagonal screen, the height is 45", and the offset will be about 12". So if you have your projector table mounted (perpendicular), the bottom of your picture will be 12" above the projector.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

The room has to be dark.....if you want a decent picture. Digital projectors do not produce black. The black that you are seeing is actually the shade of whatever you are pojecting on. So say you are in a room in the daytime and want to projecto onto a white wall. Whatever shade that wall is, that is going to be the "blackest" shade you see. This is why you hear so many people talking about how important a a dark room is. If you are going to watch, say the NCAA tounament that some ambient light is just fine since great picture quality and rich blacks probably is not that important.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks