What's new

info on new toshiba 30hf83 (1 Viewer)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
There are a few things you can do to help eliminate the grain in the picture. You didn't mention if you had calibrated the display using a disc such as Avia or Video Essentials - that would be your first priority. Chances are, simply by bringing the contrast (picture) setting down to 30-40%, sharpness down even lower than that, and tweaking the brightness a bit you will get a much better picture (if it seems a lot darker than you're used to, give it some time - you'll adjust and start realizing colors and details you never knew existed).

Second, be sure to turn of the Velocity Scan Modulation feature. JohnnyG's suggestion of switching to "movie" mode before tweaking the picture settings is a good one, since movie mode usually has VSM minimized if not completely off. Either way, make sure it's disabled before calibrating using Avia.

I also noticed from your earlier post of features, that this set has a digital noise correction ability. Try fiddling with that setting and see what effect is has on reducing the grain. I would think that if the rest of the display is calibrated correctly, such a feature probably isn't needed. Now that I think of it, I would probably disable this feature, too PRIOR to using Avia to acalibrate the rest of the picture.

Thirdly, always keep in mind that the source material can vary drastically from film to film. For a good check, test your display with a DVD such as Monsters Inc, Toy Story 2, or even Star Wars Episode II - all have excellent video transfers that are very clean and should indicate whether your set is set up well (I always use a copy of Lost In Space, but I know I'm in the minority when it comes to liking that movie, so I'm guessing you don't have a copy yourself).

Other than that, sorry to hear you weren't able to fully judge the set before plunking down the cash. It sounds like the store you shopped at was pretty accomodating letting you bring your gaming console and personal DVDs (most high-end stores let people do this, and I highly recommend shopping at places that allow you to really sit down and play with sets before buying them). Doing a full-out calibration at the store is perhaps going a bit too far, but it's not too unreasonable to "ballpark" the display settings while testing your material. Once you've done an Avia setup a couple of times, you should be able to do this reasonably well.

I think with a little bit of tweaking and nudging, you'll get the picture set up pretty well. I'd be really surprised if a brand new Tosh tube was REALLY as bad as you describe.

Good luck.

-Jason

I will make another series of test tonignt to see if it help, you mean setting the TV mode to movie BEFORE starting the DVD?

I really thanks all you for trying to help me, it is soooo hard to find someone with knowlege for these type of equipement in my region.

Thanks again everyone,

I dont know....maybe I was expecting too much...

No I still havent used the AVIA disc, will be looking to find it in my region very soon, any big store in canada that have it??.

Its sure that Monster Inc is impressive, but the movie I rent last night was soooooo awfull, I had NEVER noticed difference like that between DVD with my old 27 inches sony.

Maybe my set is perfect and its just me that it is over-reacting.

Will make a series of test tonight with my head calm down and will give you result tomorow.

Well Jason, my TV have DEFINATELY reach a higher level with your simple setting:emoji_thumbsup:

I had seen textures on surfaces in "Monster inc" that were amazing, just could not take my eyes out of it!!!!.

" The two towers " from blockbuster will spin in my DVD tonignt, I can bet it will be a 3 hours wild ride:D

matic

Auditioning
I signed up on this forums just to post this because I'm interested in buying one.

I live in Vancouver and A&B Sound has the Toshiba 30HF83 TV on the floor (downtown location). The regular price on it is $1699 CAD, but starting tomorrow (August 28) they're having a Super Sale and the price of this TV drops to $1583 CAD. I was just about to buy a Samsung TXN3098WHF, but this one looks nicer and is cheaper too!

The sale lasts for 5 days until September 1st.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks