What's new

Info on I.B. setup (1 Viewer)

Kirstyn

Auditioning
I've come to the experts for some info about building an infinite baffle sub.I have a spare 300 watt amp and a small room (approx.5' x 10' x 8')behind the front wall of my H.T. room.
My question to you is with 2 12" or even 15" woofers is the space I have large enough to accomodate such a setup?
and is 300 watts enough to power this dream of mine??
Any info would be greatly appreciated, I have spent some time searching the web for ideas but very new to the I.B.
theory and I need to learn. Are there any websites anyone can recommend to further my education?
Sorry for all the questions but I am very interested in this type of sub design and willing to read anything!!

Thanks in advance,
Kirstyn

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Kirstyn, I'm not exactly an IB pro or anything, but from what I've seen and heard about, a dual Tempest IB should work fine with 300 watts. Im not sure about the room size but it sounds promising. Check out the gallery and info page from the link Jeff posted for some good ideas.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Two 15" Tempests (I'd run these single VC and RDO them to a Q of 0.5-0.6; see Adire's Tech papers for an explanation of RDO) or Dayton 15"IB drivers will work great in that space. The ideal is 10x or more the combined Vas of the drivers. Two 15" Tempest would be about 220ft^3 and you have 400ft^3 in that room.

Power, IBs need very little power. 80W per driver would be enough. 300W will be way more than you need. So just peachy.

The only issue left will be placement. Can you try a normal sub near where the manifold for the IB would go. Can't move an IB after you build it, so make sure the placement will work (ie no major nulls, peaks can be EQed out, but nulls require major room treatments).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks