What's new

info about reissue of THE FIFTH ELEMENT (PCM16bit+DolbyTrueHD 20or24bit) (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

This is nice! I might have to try to pick up a copy on sale somewhere.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Really eager to see what the new transfer will look like. After all of the scathing reviews of the first Blu-ray version, I passed on it.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
Maybe someone can answer this......I've often wondered why doing a "new transfer" seems to be such a big, expensive deal and why studios use the same transfer over and over in releases because they don't want to "invest" in a new master. I know film scanners and telecine machines are expensive but that's a one time cost, right? Once the studio buys one, it's theirs. And if the scanner belongs to you and the film element belongs to you, then the "transfer" should essentially be free, shouldn't it? Other than paying the technician's salary, which is another basically fixed expense. Color correction and dirt/scratch removal can be done with almost any off-the-shelf software nowadays, as long as the film doesn't require extensive restoration. So where is the "big expense" involved in doing new film transfers? Maybe I'm naive and missing something big here, but it seems to me that studios could just retransfer their whole catalouges every couple years as the technology matures and keep everything nice and up to date.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
It takes days. You have to have, for a decent transfer, not just one technician but a telecine operator, a colorist, &c. You have to pull the film elements, verify them, load them, do test runs, not infrequently re-run entire reels — and all this time there's other stuff waiting to use the machine, especially a problem today when films in production use digital intermediates, meaning that new projects as well as catalogue need the equipment (and, of course, there's a lot more footage from a film which hasn't yet been cut that from one that's finished). The telecine is, typically, both expensive and delicate, and requires a good deal of maintenance and fine adjustment, not to mention being set up separately for each reel of film. Things may be getting easier with new technologies, but still it isn't exactly a piece of cake to produce something the critical video watchers around here would call top-notch.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Good lord noooo! NOT ANOTHER AVS QUOTE!!!!

[ahem.. sorry bout that]

Great news. :emoji_thumbsup: Glad I avoided the current disc.

I'll unleash the dancing banana when there's an official announcement w/ date. :D

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I didn't wait on this one and I was disappointed with it. I was excited to hear about the exchange program, and even more so now that the release has been moved up :)

Cavan.B

Stunt Coordinator

It's too bad standard DVD audio performance is compromised by those still listening on TV speakers. We do get DTS sometimes, but that's still a far cry from lossless audio. Glad to see the studios catering to the audiophiles by leaving these disruptive settings off on the new formats.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
After reading the bad review on The Fifth Element I passed on the Blu-ray release. The SD-DVD superbit version I have looks really good so I passed on the bad HD version. I am glad to hear that there is a new transfer with DTHD and that the dialog normalization will not be turned on. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

If the transfer is a good one this time around I will definantly be picking it up on Blu-ray.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Marek,
I'm following HDMI 1.3 receivers like a hawk and seeing nothing new coming :frowning:

My aging ES receiver needs an update.

I'm glad that Sony is listening. I will for sure buy this version of TFE.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I to have been watching company sites like a hawk and have not seen anything yet. I go to Denon's web site every single day and to Pioneer, Marantz and Yamaha's every other day. As far as Sony goes I personally am not interested in there receivers unless they really beef the amplifier section up and improve the audio quality. But I am keeping my eye on the upcoming Sony BDP-S300 Blu-ray player that will retail for $599.99 this summer. It looks as if this player will use HDMI 1.3 so if I can not save up for a higher end second generation player. Then I will buy this player and upgrade it later as long as Blu-ray survives the format war and does not end up fading away permaturly.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...b&Dept=tvvideo

I am counting the days for the new transfer of Fifth Element. :D

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I have the current BD release, it's not horrible by any means but I will be exchanging it when this new copy is released.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I read about this on AVS a while back, so I decided to hold off until the new version came out.

But then Amazon had their BD sale and The Fifth Element was only like $13 (after the additional 10% discount) for me, so it was a no brainer to pick up. I haven't even opened it and don't plan to either. I just wanted to have a disc to exchange for the new one when available.

I had initially heard the exchange would be later this year, so now it is nice to hear that it should be sooner (and the whole thing only cost me $13). Cool!

MarekM

Supporting Actor

Martin,

My receiver is dying :frowning: any stronger sound impulse and it will switch off, sometimes even 30times during more action movie :frowning: I just can't wait more :frowning:

so I am looking for price drop for denon 2807, or info that hdmi1.3 receiver is in 1-2 months here....

yup I will buy this TFE in second :)

Marek

MarekM

Supporting Actor

hopefully, someting will be posted in april about new receivers hmm...
and release date for TFE ;)

marek

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Oh, what the hell I might as well get this new version too as long as it's worth the wait. It's a dumb film, but kinda fun.

I'm hoping paidgeek listened to us audiophiles and allowed for a full 24 bit TrueHD encoding... and will continue to do so from now on. Personally, if they do this for every release going forward they should drop the space wasting PCM track.

It's only a little while longer until receivers and pre-amps are outfitted with TrueHD and Master Audio decoding.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i guess there's no indication what the price for the re-release will be? do you think it'll be the same catalog price ($20 @ amazon)? in that case there would be no reason to buy now and exchange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks