What's new

Infinity HTS-20 Sub causing electrical interference (1 Viewer)

Derick S

Auditioning
I installed my HTS20 (Infinify Home theater 4 SAT, 1 CTR, 150W Sub) two days ago. Love the sound. But - big problem with the sub. It performs w/o any problems, but causes extreme interference with all TV's in the house. Channel 3. The interference is white lines 1/2 to an inch apart. I moved the sub around, disconnected the sub cable (Monster Sub cable) and carried the sub around from outlet to outlet. Just plugging the sub in to the house electrial (anywhere) even w/o a receiver connection causes the interference. I have a 2 story, 5 year old home - no electrial problems.
My system includes -
TV - PANASONIC PT-51HX40
DVD - JVC XV-F85GD
A/V Receiver - SONY STR-DE975
Cable - Atlantic Scienfic Digital Cable box
Audio - Infinity HTS 20
I called Infinity. The Infinity tech looked into his DB and got one hit. He is shipping me 2 ferrite wraps to install over the elctrical cord on the sub. If that fails - the system is to be returned. I had 2 ferrite wraps that came with my camcorder and tried them last night. No help at all. I'm not sure if the Infinity wraps will be a different size so I guess I'll wait and see. What do you guys think?

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Derick -

Do you have any power strips / surge supressors that you run the cable / antenna feed through?

- CM

Derick S

Auditioning
Yes I do. But in this regard -
I have cable coming into the house in the crawl space (under the family room where HT setup resides)-
A couple of splitters (all cable company supplied) in the crawl space feed multiple cables throughout house.
6 TV's in all. The only area where I have co-ax routed through a surge suppresser is on my cable modem setup. It resides in an upstairs room.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Take the cable out of the surge and see what happens...

I've heard that the interference in the AC line can cross over into the cable if the 2 are in the same supressor.

Can't remember where I heard that, though...

- CM

Derick S

Auditioning
I made the change, but no change. Interference still present. Rented Fast and Furious and watched as my first DVD. Awsome sound.
Thanks for the Sub help. It looks like it'll be going back. Also my wife doesn't like the size and look of the Infinity surrounds so I'm looking at the Polk 6200's now in white.
Hopefully the Polk sub will be OK.

Chris Eriksen

Stunt Coordinator
You mentioned that you are exchanging Infinity for Polk - I am guessing this is at Circuit City? If so, I would highly recommend auditioning the Velodyne subs, as they may be better options than the Polk.
Happy listening! :)

Derick S

Auditioning
Yes CC is correct. The Velo subs are touted as the best sell (I work at CC corp.), but $$ may be an issue. I'll check today.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks