What's new

Inferno: THE HTF ADDICT 3D ADDICT REVIEW (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
When Ron said in his review - "Blatant pop-out gimmickry is pretty much non-existent here. There is an attempt late in the film to throw a lantern towards the audience, but it never lunges itself outwards. However, interestingly, the brim of Robert Ryan's hat does seem to poke itself outside of the screen on one or two occasions." I was thinking this film is mostly about depth. There were a number of scenes with Robert Ryan looking down the mountain that do have a lot of depth but, there are a number of scenes where actors are near the front of the screen and their entire body is out of the screen. For an example:

At 09:50 Rhonda Fleming and William Lundigan are both out of the screen.

At 09:55 William moves backward and just Rhonda is out of the screen.

At 10:00 William moves forward, they are both out-of-the-screen.

Very impressive 3D.

Of course I'm watching this from my Panasonic AE8000 projector, producing an image 70 by 93 inches, sitting about 15 feet from the screen.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
Ron,

Does your Region-B copy of INFERNO display the opening titles correctly? On my recently-purchased region-free Blu-ray the titles recede in the background instead of extending forward. It is the only substantial issue with this otherwise beautifully rendered film, but it is distracting to see the Joshua trees and sagebrush trying to push forward in front of the credits.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Dan_Shane said:
Ron,

Does your Region-B copy of INFERNO display the opening titles correctly? On my recently-purchased region-free Blu-ray the titles recede in the background instead of extending forward. It is the only substantial issue with this otherwise beautifully rendered film, but it is distracting to see the Joshua trees and sagebrush trying to push forward in front of the credits.

It's been mentioned elsewhere that is the way it was done when it premiered in 1953. There is nothing wrong with the disc.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
RolandL said:
It's been mentioned elsewhere that is the way it was done when it premiered in 1953. There is nothing wrong with the disc.

Ah, a studio goof! Thanks for that info; I figured Bob and Dan would not have introduced the flaw considering their tremendous attention to detail.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I believe Bob Furmanek said somewhere that Columbia mistakenly super-imposed the titles backwards on several of their 3D films and now it is impossible to fix as the separate elements no longer exist.

Despite that, Inferno has really knock-out 3D. Those overhead shots looking down into the canyon were incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.