Inferno (1953)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by BrianRi, Oct 30, 2009.

1. BrianRi

BrianRi Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know if this movie, starring Robert Ryan, has been released in any region yet? I heard reports last year it was going to be released in R2, but never heard anything more about it.

2. Livius

Livius Second Unit

Colin
    Yes, it's available in R2 in Spain from Fox. I posted a bit about it on my blog here a few days ago.

3. BrianRi

Thanks Livius. Is there any where I can order it sent to the USA for a shipping price of less than 20,00 euros?

4. Marcel H.

Marcel H. Supporting Actor

http://www.starscafe.com/en/help/shipping-rates.aspx

5. Livius

Livius Second Unit

Colin
    That's who I use too. I find them reliable, quick, and the best value.

6. BrianRi

Guys, I really appreciate your input. I checked the starscafe.com site, and it looks like the least expensive price for a copy of Inferno, plus shipping, is approximately $30 to the U.S. Can anyone who is familiar with this site confirm this price or show my where I went wrong in my calculations?

I recently saw this movie on a VHS tape, albeit the image was quite degraded and was squeezed; so I would love to see it in it's proper aspect ration on a dvd.

Thanks for you help!

7. Livius

Livius Second Unit

Colin
    It should come in at 22.44 euro shipped. To tell the truth, you would be better off ordering two DVDs if you can find something else you want. The shipping for two is the same as one.

8. BrianRi

Livius, I just double checked a money conversion site with your numbers, and unfortuately it comes out to more than $33 in U.S. currency. So from here onward I guess I just need to decide if I want to pay that much for the movie.

Thanks for double checking for me!

9. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Inferno is a seriously good noir and co-incidentally, a state-of-the-art stereoscopic film.
    If you liked Roy (Ward) Baker's other hit noir from the 1950s, Don't Bother to Knock, you'll appreciate Inferno.
    The standard shipping cost for airpost is very low at amazon.comUK.
    Sometimes, U.K. amazon sells DVD's from Spain, Germany, France, etc.
    As do internet retailers on amazonUK marketplace, who are sometimes n European countries where the postage rates are much higher.
    One should always look there before making a purchase.
    Another possibility is to check the specialty retailers like diabolikdvd.com .

10. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    It's not available from Amazon UK unless you want to pay 40 pounds from a secondary seller.

11. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    I noticed some other titles of interest on this site and would like to order 1 in addition to INFERNO, as you suggest.
    Anyone have any comments on the a/v quality of these non-U.S. DVDs also available from this site: THE SEA WOLF, WIND ACROSS THE EVERGLADES, JOHNNY GUITAR, ULZANA'S RAID, CAPONE (1975), CHARLEY VARRICK?

12. Marcel H.

Marcel H. Supporting Actor

Johnny Guitar: the Spanish/French DVDs are probably the best. There's a comparison at DVDBeaver: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews17/johnny_guitar_dvd_review.htm

13. BrianRi

I have the Paramount-Spain version and think the video quality is excellent, particularly the colors, which Nicholos Ray made great use of in this film. I'm so satisfied with the way this version looks that I wouldn't buy it again were it released in Region 1. I only have a good ole analog tv so I can't vouch for how it looks on an HDTV. I bought my copy from a seller on Ebay and was able to get it for about $15, so I would suggest looking for a copy there first, as the shipping charges from Spain to the U.S. are hefty.

14. Livius

Livius Second Unit

Colin
    Yes, the Paramount Johnny Guitar is the best out there at the moment. I'm very pleased with it and I too doubt if I'd need to double dip on it again in the future.
    BTW, there are a good few Fox titles recently out in Spain,
    The Raid
    Powder River
    Two Flags West
    One Foot in Hell
    Way of a Gaucho
    Down to the Sea in Ships
    Iron Curtain

15. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    Don't think you will ever have the choice to double dip. Unless Lionsgate gets smart, then we will never see a R1 release. I understand the agreement with Paramount was for 15 years and began in late 2005 or early 2006. And if Paramount does get the Republic library back, it will more than likely sit there.

16. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

None of the Johnny Guitar DVD's are the proper AR. It was composed for widescreen and intended for 1.85 presentation.

17. RafaelPires

RafaelPires Second Unit

Livius,

Thanks for the information, Just checked out and also noticed that Fox also released the following titles in Spain this year, as part of its Cinema Classic Collection:

- China Girl (Gene Tierney, George Montgomery)
    - Untamed (Tyrone Power, Susan Hayward)
    - Woman's World (June Allyson, Clifton Webb, Lauren Bacal)
    - Kangaroo (Maureen O'Hara, Peter Lawford).
    - The Story of Alexander Graham Bell (Don Ameche, Loretta Young, Henry Fonda)
    - The Rains of Ranchipur (Lana Turner, Richard Burton)
    - Home in Indiana (Walter Brennan, Jeanne Crain, June Haver) Wowwwwwwwwww
    - Boy on a Dolphin (Alan Ladd, Clifton Webb. Sophia Loren)

And on 11/18, Fox will release (there):
    - Forever Amber (Linda Darnell)
    - The Foxes of Harrow (Maureen O'Hara, Rex Harrison)
    - City of Bad Men (Jeanne Crain, Dale Robertson)
    - The Walls of Jericho (Cornel Wilde, Linda Darnell, Anne Baxter, Kirk Douglas)

Wonderful titles that I never though would make their way into dvd. UI have to find a way to get them all!

I think I will creat a specific thread about this, so it won't get lost in the "Inferno thread".

18. Panamint Cinema

Panamint Cinema Insider
    Insider

Russell Cowe
    "Inferno" will be released on August 10th (Rhonda Fleming's birthday) by Panamint Cinema on Blu-ray, Region B UK / Europe), using Fox's restored HD master. Extras: trailer, TV interview of Rhonda Fleming by Pat Boone, illustrated booklet.

Details at www.panamint.co.uk

Attached Files:

phillyrobt likes this.
  19. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    On one hand... that's good news... on the other hand, not putting out the 3D version seems like a wasted opportunity.

revgen and ahollis like this.
  20. bujaki

bujaki Screenwriter

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    This is one of the best 3D movies I've seen. It's good in 2D, but it is excellent in 3D. It needs to be released in 3D as well!