What's new

3D Inferno (1953) 3D Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I just bought this, i love classic cinema and want to support classic 3D films on blu ray too, i look forward to receiving it and hopefully i can watch it sometime during September, maybe late August if i'm lucky, the fact it's a proper restored title made the decision to buy easy.

One thing i need to say, i don't use a mobile/cell phone anymore, i dislike them, everyone seems to use them these days but i just don't like them, the mobile box needed a number so i put in my old one from a number of years ago, i hope that for possible future orders i may make that the box could be optional or changed to the home phone number.

P.S. Martin ( Panman ) had a hand in my decision too as he recommended it after viewing. :3dglasses:

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
FoxyMulder said:
I just bought this, i love classic cinema and want to support classic 3D films on blu ray too, i look forward to receiving it and hopefully i can watch it sometime during September, maybe late August if i'm lucky, the fact it's a proper restored title made the decision to buy easy. One thing i need to say, i don't use a mobile/cell phone anymore, i dislike them, everyone seems to use them these days but i just don't like them, the mobile box needed a number so i put in my old one from a number of years ago, i hope that for possible future orders i may make that the box could be removed or changed to the home phone number. P.S. Martin ( Panman ) had a hand in my decision too as he recommended it after viewing. :3dglasses:
As I said Malcolm I thought it looked fantastic, I haven't watched it properly, more skipped through to check it, film grain and uncanny 3D on my tv.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Panman40 said:
As I said Malcolm I thought it looked fantastic, I haven't watched it properly, more skipped through to check it, film grain and uncanny 3D on my tv.
Save a full viewing for your new projector where it should look fabulous.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
FoxyMulder said:
Save a full viewing for your new projector where it should look fabulous.
Yup, I hope so Malcolm, hoping to get the screen brackets made and have that up tomorrow.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Wow, what a fantastic film! The 3D of course is excellent (and the PQ too) and right up there with the others in the era. It really adds to the enjoyment of the movie. For example the 3D scenes looking down a cliff was a little scary, like I was there! I was very pleasantly surprised at how engaging and intense this thriller is. It's not a movie you're going to watch part way and finish later, you'll want to see this one through in one shot. What a treat!

Thank you Panamint Cinema for this fine release!

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
I received my first copy today. A second copy is on its way.
Tonight was my fifth time seeing Inferno in 3-D and my first time seeing it in 3-D at home. I've lost count how many times I've seen the film in 2-D. I made a VHS recording of a late-night broadcast on WGN years ago, and I practically shredded that tape on repeat viewings during my middle and high school years. I was a weird kid.

For all the times I've seen Inferno, tonight I made what is for me a new discovery. At 01:15:35, there's a long shot of Henry Hull's cabin set amidst a desolate desert landscape. A fairly severe asymmetry between the left and right images caught my eyes. Pausing and studying the image, I realized what was going on: Here we've got ourselves an honest-to-goodness 3-D matte painting!

The giveaway is the disparity in the brushstrokes on the desert shrubs in the foreground, and also a strange illumination asymmetry on a far, far distant mountain in the extreme right background. If you compare the left and right eyes very closely, you can also discern a difference in the shape of the light patterns falling out the front door and windows of the cabin.

I wish to emphasize that none of this is meant as fault-finding. Far from it! This is an extraordinary presentation of a wonderful motion picture. Having it available to enjoy and even scrutinize anytime we like is sure to give us a deeper appreciation for the professionalism and technical daring of its director and crew. Roy Ward Baker is one Golden Age 3-D director who seemed genuinely enthusiastic about the possibilities of the medium. You can sense that he and his colleagues wished to create a superlative 3-D entertainment, and they succeeded. Big time.

If you are 3-D capable and Region B capable, you simply owe it to yourself to take advantage of Panamint's fine disc. If you love 3-D as I do, you will not regret it.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
If only today's directors and DPs who find shooting native 3D would watch and learn from a masterpiece like INFERNO; and studios realized that dramas, not just cartoons or shoot-'em-up action films, can be enriched by the 3D experience; then we truly could be enjoying a 3D renaissance. Forget that 2.5D experience: it just doesn't deliver like native 3D.
Directors, DPs and studios: Don't be lazy. Look to the past and learn the lessons found therein. It's already been invented and worked out for you!
The INFERNO BD is almost as good as the 35mm screening that I saw last year in LA. It's shameful that this film is available in Region A only in a flat Fox Archive MOD.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Mine just arrived. There's going to be an Inferno tonight I can tell you!

But I'm prepared...Er....That is...I...Er...I Think?

Inferno.jpg

docquest

Auditioning
Real Name
brian
Mine arrived today and I was pleasantly surprised it worked in my non-modded panasonic BDT110 player. I read about this "trick" online and though I'd try it before deciding to buy a region free player. This supposedly works with the panasonic BDT 110, 210, and 310 players.

- Insert non region A disc and wait for the "Wrong Region" screen to appear
- Press Stop
- Press 1 and the number "1" should start blinking in the upper right corner. Press the "OK" button while 1 is blinking. You may have to try this a few times, as it usually doesn't work the first time. Try pressing OK on the first or second blink and it should work.
- Disc should boot to the discs main menu or start playing the movie

I just sampled through a few scenes and the 3D is incredible. I wish more modern films looked this good in 3D. Can't wait to watch the whole thing later tonight. Its the first time I've seen the movie and from what others have said it one of the best from the golden era. Can't wait for dragonfly squadron when that comes out next month.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I received my copy yesterday, and watched it last night. A few quick thoughts:

- The disc is really nicely packaged, with a wonderful booklet filled with historical information about the making of the film, bios of the stars and crew, and even a few words from Bob Furmanek. It's on-par with the nice packaging we get from Twilight Time and Criterion in my opinion.

- The 3D quality is fantastic, as is the film itself. I saw this projected via dual 35mm back in 2010, and I thought at the time that I'd probably never have a chance to see it again in 3D. It was wonderful to revisit the movie. I think everyone will be happy with the transfer quality. And I think most, if not all, will love the use of 3D in the film. I feel like a lot of 3D films have inconsistent 3D quality throughout, where some scenes have noticeable use of it, and then other scenes come across as flat. I'm pleased to say that with "Inferno", every shot is clearly in 3D. A lot of care was obviously taken to tell the story visually. This may very well be the best "classic 3D" title now available on disc in terms of overall visual and story quality.

- The disc doesn't include lossless audio (or if it does, my player didn't notice it), but I didn't find that this detracted from the presentation in any way. Dialogue and music were clear, and sounded very good to me.

- The extras were a nice bonus and were really fun to watch after the movie. I particularly enjoyed the trailer where Rhonda Fleming talked about the 3D process, nice vintage touch!

I'm looking forward to watching the disc again and roping in as many 3D fans as I know to check it out.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Josh Steinberg said:
I received my copy yesterday, and watched it last night. A few quick thoughts:
I received mine today, i think the booklet is a nice added feature that adds value to the package, it's also nice that the case is sturdy and not one of those eco ones which feel like they will fall apart if you hold them the wrong way, i haven't had a chance to check anything else out, when i do this forum will be the second to know my thoughts, the cat will be first.

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
Big thanks to Mr. Cowe, Mr. Furmanek, Mr. Kintz, the late Mr. Symmes and docquest for the Panasonic tip which worked! Now to get Mr. Baker's and Ms. Fleming's books. Some random thoughts while I watched : Are the Campfire Girls still around today?, Was the film shot in sequence to match the beard growth? How soon after filming his scenes did Mr. Ryan record his voiceovers?...and in lieu of no credits how did audiences know the actors and character names...were programs distributed such as in theater? I can only imagine if All is Lost (still great)and Frozen (the winter horror one) sort of similar titles were also shot in 3d.
2 months to Dragonfly Squadron and 3 to the Bubble! Then the Rarities next year!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
phillyrobt said:
I can only imagine if All is Lost ... were also shot in 3d.
You mean the Robert Redford movie? I thought that was fantastic... and as I was watching it, I thought it would have been perfect for 3D. To me, "All Is Lost" was far superior to another recent lost-at-sea adventure, "Life of Pi" - I think "All Is Lost" was the movie "Life Of Pi" wanted to be. If it only had Pi's 3D.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
What a great classic fifties 3D transfer! Thanks to Panamint Cinema, Bob Furmanek, and all involved in this project.

I only saw Inferno on TV once, probably in b&w, and that was a very long time ago. For me, this was almost like seeing it for the first time. And what a treat to be able to own it on Blu-ray 3D.

Many of my favorite character actors are in this film. Even Barbara Pepper (Mrs. Ziffel from TV's Green Acres) has a small role as a waitress.

Looking forward to the next golden age 3D release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks