What's new

Inexspensive projector for outdoor movies (1 Viewer)

Tchamber

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyrell
Like the title says, I want to watch movies outside this Summer. As this will not be a heavily used projector, I don't want to spend a lot, I have my 60" TV for most movies and games. So, around dusk, it would be fun to watch a few movies outdoors with the family. I've been reading about DIY screens, so a projector that would be visible and watchable on say 100" screen. Any input is appreciated, and thanks.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Do yourself a favor and DO NOT buy a used projector. Even if the old lady says she only watched Sunday mass on it. I would recommend the Optoma HD66 or Acer 5360. Both are very popular, highly rated 720p projectors. You didn't give your budget, but both are usually about $500 or less.

Tchamber

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyrell
$500ish is a good price for me. That Optoma looks good. My paypal account has a balance, no2 I need to sell a couple more things on eBay and I'm there. Thanks for the fast response guys. Is there a trusted online site to buy from? If not,prolly going with BBY for their no interest financing.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The cheapest price for the HD66 seems to be Amazon for $539, with free shipping. You can easily use a 120" diagonal screen with the HD66, it's pretty bright. Just don't start the movie until it's reasonably dark outside though. You do realize you have to bring out your receiver, speakers, and Blu-ray player every time you use it, correct? That will get old quick.

Tchamber

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyrell
Yeah, I know...I'm thinking I'll use my laptop and Klipsch Multimedia 2.1 speakers. And Netflix. Shoot, my Transformer Prime has HDMI out...But I'm still planning stuff out. This won't be an every-day thing, but you know, a few times a month this Summer, family and friends over for dinner...big screen movie.

supernaps

Auditioning
Real Name
A Tech
Hey, that seems like an awesome idea for a get together this summer. If you don't want to spend as much as $500 and still have a pretty good movie watching experience, check out the P4-X by aaxatech. It's not as bright as the Optoma HD66, but it's portable and still bright enough to play a movie for a group of about 10-15 people. I just got one for my laptop, and went with the X version cause of the HDMI connection. I'm basically using it as my monitor at home lol.
Here's the amazon link and also a youtube video showing the projector in action:
http://www.amazon.com/AAXA-P4X-Projector-Lumens-Battery/dp/B007CWDFP6/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342477211&sr=1-3&keywords=p4x

Like i said, it's not as bright as the HD66, but it's a lot more portable and you can see it's still pretty bright from that youtube video. It should be a lot easier carrying it in and out of the house for your movie display.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
What about the Optoma Pico projector? It's about $100 more than the AAXA, but brighter and seemingly clearer? Anyone used one?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
You may also want to consider the Optoma GT750 - this is a very bright projector, very lightweight and portable.

supernaps

Auditioning
Real Name
A Tech
Quentin said:
What about the Optoma Pico projector? It's about $100 more than the AAXA, but brighter and seemingly clearer? Anyone used one?
Which Optoma Pico Projector are you considering? The PK301? That's a pretty good device, and I've actually used that one too since my buddy bought that. It's rated at 75 lumens for the "plus" version and 50 lumens for the standard version. If you're talking about the PK320, that's 100 lumens while plugged in. I've never used this model, but from my experience with the PK301, it seems that if you unplug the PK301, the lumens drop down substantially. I can't exactly measure how much, but I've done a side by side comparison with my P4x, and it's quite a bit dimmer. Both are pretty good choices, though, and really the technology is getting to the point where I don't think it's necessary anymore to have a heavy 2500+ lumen projector to be able to enjoy a simple movie every once in a while.
The GT750 is definitely a nice device...but it's also $700 lol. It depends on what you want, really, but I like to get the most bang for my buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks