What's new

Inexpensive, reliable, external CD-RW? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Hi gang,

I am looking for an external CD-RW drive for use with my laptop. It's a Dell Inspiron 8000 running Win 2000 (so USB is OK, but not a requirement).

My main criteria are reliability and low price. Speed is less of an issue, since I will mainly use it for system backups and the occasional music mix.

Any recommendations?

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
I've been running an HP 8220e without problems for about year and a half. They can be found for ~$140. I've run it on ME, XP, and win2k using Nero without any problems.

T

Randy_T

Stunt Coordinator
I got a Plextor 12X 10X 32X CDRW from Link Removed for less than $100 shipped.
Randy T

Randy_T

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry...too early in the morning. Didn't see that you were looking for a laptop burner

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I check this thread out since my sister is looking into one. There is no such thing as an internal CD-RW module for laptops I guess? Are the USB2.0 external CD-RWs compatible with say the USB1.0 standard because my sister's laptop is really old so I'm sure her USB port is not the new 2.0 standard...

At the time, a few weeks ago, my quick check showed that most of the external CDRWs at newegg.com were mostly around $150.

Jay

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Actually, there are internal CD-RWs for laptops. My Dell has two plug-in cartridges in the front. One has a floppy drive, the other is currently empty. The DVD drive is built into the side of the machine. (It's called a "3-spindle" system, since it has 3 potential drive bays. Or is it 4, to include the hard drive. . .)

However, the internal CD-RW costs about $260, which is about twice what I'm willing to spend. Also, I'll probably get another desktop at some point, so it'd be nice to have an external unit I could plug into it too.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
OK, I hit CompUSA for the TDK deal. Score!
The advertised deal is regular price $199, sale price $179, plus a $50 mail-in rebate. But it rang up at $159! (My unemployed butt thanks you, CompUSA. And before the wisecracks start flowing, I need this for system backups! ;))
So now the question is. . .how can I determine whether my ports are USB 1.1 or USB 2? I looked in the Device Manager, which gives driver versions, but I'm not sure that that's the same thing. The unit says that it will only work at 4x4x6 speeds (normally 24x10x40) on USB 1.1.
How long has USB 2 been around? My laptop is a little over a year old.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
How long has USB 2 been around? My laptop is a little over a year
I would guess it's not USB 2.0 then. It's been around that long, but not built into systems. It's only slowly gaining momentum and technically speaking, Firewire is the "cleaner" higher-speed solution.

-Christian

Rommel_L

Second Unit
Aaron,

If your burner work in the speeds of 4X4X6, it's USB 1.1. These are the fastest speeds USB 1.1 can support.

-RL-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks