What's new

Indy Jones available as Box-Set ONLY?!? (1 Viewer)

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator
I have absolutely no problem buying the box set when it comes out. In my personal opinion, I feel that Temple of Doom is a worthy successor to Raiders. While I enjoy Last Crusade to a certain degree, it just feels too much like a re-hash of Raiders, what with another holy relic from the bible (the Holy Grail opposed to the Ark of the Covenant), more Nazis, another desert setting, and a "wraith of God" type ending (and reducing Denholm Elliott's character to a comedic foil was depressig). I'll admit, having the Nazis as the main bad guys wasn't such an issue, as they could be seen as the S.P.E.C.T.R.E. of the series, but it just felt like too much of the same and was a bit of a let down. The one thing that saves it from being a complete waste is the addition of Connery as Indy's dad, (and the prologue with River Phoenix is pretty nifty); that was a master-stroke, and it pays off well.

Temple of Doom is how I envisioned the series should've continued. It was a completely different setting and time (really a prequel to Raiders), and focused on different villains (I don't want to get into the race issues that crop up when discussing this). The series has limitless possibilities, and like the Bond movies, really only should have key characters repeated and nothing more. I can't wait to replace my LDs with these!!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Put me down in the "Would/will happily purchase the box set but can understand the unhappiness of those who don't want the entire trilogy" camp.

And my estimation of ToD's weaknesses focuses not on the somewhat annoying Short Round or the consistently irritating Kate Capshaw....

...it's that godawful Huyck/Katz screenplay.

"This Nurhahchi is a small guy!" :rolleyes

The action sequences alone make ToD a worthwhile film in my book, but that script is fairly atrocious.

Still, the prospect of owning this trilogy fills me with much happiness. Hopefully it'll be a bit less expensive than the Godfather set was.

Craig LeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
I could live without TOD, but I'll still watch it :) Pretty much the same situation for me with the Die Hard trilogy set, for the extra couple of dollars, might as well get the box instead of the other 2 individually.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Jack Ryan is a bad analogy because they were already released separately. Therefore, the Box Set is not the initial attempt to get the most money possible, it is just the re-packaging of something already in existence.
OK, what about another recent Paramount release, The John Travolta Collection (box) and the individual releases of Saturday Night Fever, Grease and Urban Cowboy. All of those had not 'already been released separately', so where is the precedent there?

Oh, and even though we all do not like it, Mark is right, giving the option of P&S is just as much of a choice as giving (or not giving) the option of box set or individually.

Also, on the 12 years between Connery and Ford, you're not taking into account that when Crusade was made it was easy to think of Dr. Henry Jones Sr. as several years older than the actor playing him, and Dr. Henry (Indiana) Jones Jr. as several years younger than the actor playing him. This kind of thing is done all the time.

earl_roberts

Stunt Coordinator
A boxset release is no problem as I find it hard to believe that somebody who absoloutely ADORES Raiders could hate the other two so much. Also, getting them all out as soon as possible has to be the best soloution?
One disc of extras for the three films does seem a little stingy {Two for Windtalkers? From MGM too?} but the commentary tracks that I can only dream of, with Spielberg included, will effectively lessen the need for masses of extras. If there were commentarys, the extra disc would only have to have a huge 90 min+ documentary for all three films, screentests {Kate Capshaw's is very good, as is the story behind it!} plus poster galleries and trailers to make me happy!
Paramount though should take a leaf out of Universal's book. They KNOW many people only want Raiders as Universal knew many would only want BTTF Part 1 which is why Universal released Part 1 on it's own as well as a boxset which contained the sequels {did this happen in R1?}. If Paramount did this as well as followed Universal's pricing {which made a hesistant potential buyer a release day owner} then I think the release on Indy on DVD could be as special as we fans deserve for waiting so long!!!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
OK, what about another recent Paramount release, The John Travolta Collection (box) and the individual releases of Saturday Night Fever, Grease and Urban Cowboy. All of those had not 'already been released separately', so where is the precedent there?
Still not the best example. These were different films in different genres only loosely connected by the fact that Travolta starred in them and that music played a heavy role in the storytelling (can't call them all "musicals"...certainly not Urban Cowboy!).

Also note that Grease actually WAS a "previous release", even if only by a matter of a few weeks! :laugh:

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Originally posted by Jonathan Dagmar:
In my view, Temple of Doom bashers are just Like RoJedi Bashers. Annoying, whiny, losers.
You may have had a convincing argument had you not insulted those that happen to disagree with you.

Neil - presumably an "Annoying, whiny, loser"

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Also that box set was not designed specifically for those films. Rather they took the three DVDs (which were going to be sold separately) and added them it into some makeshift box.

The Indy set will be custom made as a box set, much like the Indy set. It probably wont have individual cases for each DVD, rather some sort of Digi-pack, or similar holders as in the Godfather set. In the same view of the Back to the Future set, or any Mystery Science Theater 3000 volume.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
The action sequences alone make ToD a worthwhile film in my book, but that script is fairly atrocious.
My opinion as well. How can you NOT want to experience ToD in DVD glory? I don't even pay attention to Kate Capshaw. The action stuff is tremendous!

I already note I'd want the boxset (and I never liked the Sean Connery bit - talk about annoying).

To this day, I have NEVER watched Godfather III. That didn't stop me from dropping $70 on the boxset though. I just couldn't imagine there being a Godfather DVD out there and me not owning it!

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I'm definately up for the boxset as well. Raiders is one of my favorite movies and Last Crusade is very well made and enjoyable. ToD while not as good as the other two is still good. Plus, I can't wait to go frame by frame as the heart gets ripped out :D

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
John,

As others have said, your Travolta analogy is a bad one. Not to defeat my own argument, but your best example would be Beverly Hills Cop I -III.

If someone were to bring this up to rebut my argument, I would say....... If I were Paramount I would have done this as "Box Set" only because no one other than completists are going to by BHC III. However, even though I bought the box set I am absolutely positive BHC does not have as big a following as IJ and therefore they probably believed it was more cost effective to sell them separately. Addtionally. the movies were still individually packaged within the set.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
To this day, I have NEVER watched Godfather III. That didn't stop me from dropping $70 on the boxset though.
Right there with ya Patrick. I also own that set, and have yet to watch three.

But I am most certainly a completist. Hell... I have Superman IV in my collection...(box set of Supes) I don't DARE put that in my player... I think it would spit it out! ;)

Brad M

Second Unit
Put me down for whatever is released. I will own all 3 movies when they hit dvd. I would PREFER them to be in separate cases. If they released them like this, there would really be no reason to not give everyone the chance to own 1 or 2 of the movies. You could make the 4th disc something you have to buy the box set to get.

As for Indiana Jones 4, bring it on.

Anyone know if Van Ling will be doing the discs? I'd love to see them in the same style as the Star Wars dvds.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Brad- I forget who is doing them, but it's not Van Ling. Last I heard he was tied up on some very cool stuff

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Oh, I can see it being a bad film as anythng's a possibility. However, I'm certainly not going to pre-judge a film before one foot of film is even shot!

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
From what I am reading, it looks like they may lose a few sales with just having the set available. I know this is all speculation on our part, but what would be a good price for it? Not the $80 as with the Godfather, for sure. I'd hesitate even at $60.

One writer said that he would sell the other three. What could you possibly get for them? Are there fans out there that do not like Raiders? The other two I can see, but not that one. Would these be people that won't buy the set because it will be priced too high?

If they were sold separately, I think that the sales for Raiders would be 4-5 times that of the other two, and having the box set only avoids that embarassment, but if I did want to buy just the one, then I wouldn't want to pay more than $40 for all 4 disks, but I don't think we'll get that lucky.

Glenn

Terry St

Second Unit
While separate releases would be nice for those who just want raiders, I'm happy they're releasing a box set. For me, the worst possible scenario would have been if they released super duper special editions, one every few months, with a box set of all three released at the same time as Crusade. There's no way I could have held out that long without buying at least Raiders! This will save me money.

Right, then after Indy 4 we'll have a new improved complete box set.
Yep. It'll be the first release of Indy on HD-DVD. :D

I am a consumer whore.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I know this is all speculation on our part, but what would be a good price for it? Not the $80 as with the Godfather, for sure. I'd hesitate even at $60.
$60 seems alright to me. Just hopng they have a first week sales price of about $30. This is a big release after all.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks