What's new

Indiana Jones And The Raiders Of The Lost Ark (1 Viewer)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Never underestimate the power of evil marketing departments waving the flag of "product branding". :frowning:
-Dave

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I just don't want a PC watered down 4'th Indy movie. I'd rather not have a 4'th movie if it's gonna be watered down due to PC children friendly Lucas and Spielberg, although they could do it. I just watch some of the originals and they have some violent moments, like the Tank fight in Last Crusade. I just want it done right if they do another movie.
Um, have you seen Episode II or Minority Report? Both films are pretty violent, so I wouldn't worry about Lucas and Spielberg being "PC children friendly", whatever that means.

Brenton

Screenwriter
Um, have you seen Episode II or Minority Report? Both films are pretty violent, so I wouldn't worry about Lucas and Spielberg being "PC children friendly", whatever that means.
I am amazed at how violent Episode II was for a PG movie. Sheesh, Lucas must be bribing the ratings guys at the MPAA. Maybe he's promising them cameos in the Classic Trilogy DVDs via digital insertion.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
I've seen Raiders many times and I can concur that there is no Lucasfilm logo. It starts with the Paramount Mountain logo overlayed with sounds of the Peruvian jungle. Then it transitions into the jungle.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If they want to add the Lucasfilm logo, add it BEFORE the Paramount logo. The Paramount logo turning into the film mountain for the Indy flicks are classic moments in film.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Man, this thread is scary in a way! I've always been pissed that the Indy flicks aren't on DVD but I'd rather them not be on DVD then be changed reguarding the Harrison Ford gun scene.
When I first read that I really just kinda laughed but as I think about it I realize that Lucas fucked up SW with the Greedo thing and ET was screwed too. If they're willing to do that why wouldn't they be willing to change Indy to make it politically correct?
I mean this seriously :frowning: The more I think about it the more I dont see why they wouldn't. The only thing that I could see stopping them is the fan backlash from the two above examples.
Tell me I'm cracked out PLEASE!
-Marshall

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Optimist that I am, I don't think Spielberg or Lucas would ever muck with the "Indy shooting the Arab swordsman" bit. Its just too funny--the biggest laugh in the film, according to some people.

-mwb-

Brad M

Second Unit
There was talk around the time ET was re-released that they may turn to the Indy series next to be "enhanced."
I just hope Paramount does not take lessons from Universal and only offer "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" in a box set with the other 2 (or 3) movies and the entire Young Indy series. It'd be $200+ just to own Raiders. Spielberg's house would get burned down. :)

Brenton

Screenwriter
When I first read that I really just kinda laughed but as I think about it I realize that Lucas fucked up SW with the Greedo thing and ET was screwed too. If they're willing to do that why wouldn't they be willing to change Indy to make it politically correct?
Neither of these changes were made to be politically correct. Lucas made Greedo shoot first because he didn't think it was in Solo's character to shoot in "cold blood" (not that I agree with Lucas that killing someone who has a gun in your face is cold blood). The E.T. change was made because it had been bugging Spielberg for years. I mean, why would the government go after this precious creature with guns? It defied logic.

The "terrorist" to "hippie" change, on the other hand, was pure political correctness and was completely uncalled-for.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
On the other hand, Speilberg did not succumb to PC and left the World Trade Center towers in A.I. on DVD.

As for the "terrorist" line, I believe that the change was made along time ago for home video release, before 9/11. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think the Indy shooting the swordsman is in any danger of being cut, considering how popular that scene is.

Brenton

Screenwriter
Then why write the scene that way in the first place?
According to Lucas, he always intended that Greedo shoot first, and filmed several takes of it. In the editing room, he became frustrated because he couldn't get it to look just right, and gave up by making Han shoot first.

But when he made the Special Editions, he took the opportunity to do this scene the way he wanted. Unfortunately, he must have been so pleased with the fact that he can do it, that he didn't realize that he can't do it WELL.

I think that when Lucas does his next version of the films (presumably the DVDs), if he can make Greedo shooting first work, then I don't have a problem with it. But if he can't make it any better, he should just go back to Han shooting first.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
According to Lucas, he always intended that Greedo shoot first, and filmed several takes of it. In the editing room, he became frustrated because he couldn't get it to look just right, and gave up by making Han shoot first.
I wonder just when Lucas "intended" this, unless he couldn't figure out a way to make his *typewriter* do it properly since, according to the script of Star Wars, Han shoots first. I don't believe Lucas for a second when he says the word "intended" in this case.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
As for the "terrorist" line, I believe that the change was made along time ago for home video release, before 9/11. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes and no.

The terrorist line was cut from the film many years ago. I don't believe it's *ever* been left intace on any home video version. It was simply deleted from the film.

For the recent 20th anniversary version of the film, Speilberg went one step further. He actually had that bit of dialog replaced with a less offensive version. The new "hippie" line (instead of "terrorist") is new to this version.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Another change to RoTLA:
In the market streets GL will be adding several CGI creatures, Dewbacks and others.
:)

Brenton

Screenwriter
. The new "hippie" line (instead of "terrorist") is new to this version.
This is what bugs me about the current American sensibilities. Who here would be offended if they had left the "terrorist" line in? No one. Terrorists are villains. It makes perfect sense for a mother to not want her son to look like the modern icon of evil. Who would be offended at the "hippie" line? Hippies would, that's who!

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Heh. You'll get no arugument from me, Brenton!

I'm springing for the deluxe uber-gift set of E.T. because I want the original version.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I mean, why would the government go after this precious creature with guns?
Beacuse it's the American Way, dag nabbit! Do you honestly think they'd do otherwise? Elian Gonzales, anyone?

Disclaimer: This post was written with tongue firmly planted in cheek. It was not meant to spout a political belief. OK, maybe it was, but it was all in fun. Please don't hate me.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
This is what bugs me about the current American sensibilities. Who here would be offended if they had left the "terrorist" line in? No one. Terrorists are villains.
gets huge box office ratings and dollars.
Welcome to the land of the free and the home of the hyper-sensitive. :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks