What's new

Incredibly New-questions about LCD, Plasma, DLP (1 Viewer)

Biergott

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
Hey everyone,

This is my first post, and while I have been researching for the past month, I have some questions I just can't get consistent answers on.

I am looking to get a 50-55" new widescreen HDTV. I definitely want 1080P.

Until today I was convinced that I wanted the Sharp Aquos 52" LCD. This was because it had such a bright picture at Best Buy and Circuit City.

Then I went to the stores again today, and noticed that if you put your finger on the screen in distorts like my cell phone screen. This will be a big problem with 2 little boys.

So, I logged on here for some help, and while waiting for my activation read through all the other threads and became disconcerted by all of the talk about in-store settings being too hot. So, this means that my choice was probably based upon a terrible setting on the in store display!

Anyway, here is my situation and needs. Can someone tell me what to get? LCD, DLP, Plasma, Sony SXRD?

-2 Children that WILL touch the screen
-1080P is a MUST
-Looking for 46"-55"
-Afternoon sun shines directly on screen where TV MUST be located through uncoverble windows (Hence my need for a bright picture)
-TV will be located in a corner of the room (3 walled room, open to doorway, left wall fireplace, middle wall has windows, right wall is solid with couch)
-By the above you can see why the TV has to go in a corner as I have nowhere to hang it (unless I put it above the fireplace which makes it really tough for my kids to watch the ever-annoying Wiggles)
-Is SXRD better than DLP?

The guy at Best Buy said the pushing the LCD screen won't hurt it, but I trusted this guy about a far as I could throw him.

Help!

P.S. I also want a new receiver that will cover 1080P switching with upconversion. Looking at Onkyo TXSR804 because of problems I heard with Denon A/V synching. Any opinions?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Jeremy

Stores all have tvs in "torch" mode...DLP is a good compromise...Samsung is a good way to go...DLP is at least as good as SXRD IMHO...regardless of what you have heard about Denon, the 2807 is a CES award winner...in about 5 months, Denon will introduce a new line of receivers with HDMI 1.3 and codecs for Blu Ray and HD DVD...

Happy New Year

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
If you have kids who will touch the screen I would get a rear projection set, DLP or LCD (not flat panel).

you don't need 1080p, where you are sitting you won't even notice a difference from your set. spend that saved money on a Blue-Ray/HD-DVD player if you want, where real 1080p source will stil look as good on your 1080i/720p set as on a 1080p set.

Biergott

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
Thanks to both of your replies.

I am not getting an LCD or Plasma flat screen, and I did decide to go with the Sony.

I will be the proud owner of a KDS55A2000 on the 8th!

Thanks for all of the advice, and I'll go with the Onkyo now and Denon when the new ones come out (my brother will by my Onkyo band-aid off of me when the time comes!)

Good choice, as I found this thread a bit late. I would have suggested an LCOS as you have chosen. The Sony SXRD is based on "borrowed" technology from JVC's H-DILA however. While I'm sure you will be most pleased by teh SXRD, the DILA is a gen or two ahead, and is used by NASA.

The LCOS is brighter and has better color rendition than any DLP I've seen.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If the screen is within reach of children you should get a large piece of Plexiglas or similar material to cover it. The shield should be mounted so, even if pressed on, it will not touch the screen in the middle.

Even an RPTV screen can be damaged, especially if it is has the tiny ribs exposed.

OT: Digital camera and similar small LCD screens should also be covered with a rigid panel that does not touch the screen surface.

captaincrash

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
I took a brutally simple approach... i set up a baby fence around the TV but - leaned it so it is not too high as to block the screen and yet it forces the youngest kids to stay a couple of feet away. It is not clean or pretty - but it has been effective. And just two weeks ago i took it down as the kids not fully understand that to get too close to the big HDTV is to risk mild trouble... :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks