What's new

"Incredible Hulk" Blu-ray: Planned with 70 Minutes of Cut Footage? (2 Viewers)

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis

Yes I prefer 'British speeded-up format' to PAL.:laugh:

Are you saying that that actual movies are at 25 fps for DVD in Britain, but that the extras are Not??

Everything they show for video in Britain i have found to be at the 25fps speed. Every time they classify a movie they show it as 4% shorter running time than the US. Why would the extras be different??

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
In fact, the last papragraph of the classification statement explicitly states that the deleted scenes run 4% faster than film.

So the US runtime will be 104.1667% of the times listed for the British release.:laugh:

Category Type Date Company Run Time Cut Title
Video 17/07/2008 Universal Pictures (UK) Ltd 41m 58s THE INCREDIBLE HULK ('08) - (BONUS: DELETED SCENES)

Details are likely to be more complete and accurate for the version submitted most recently.
When a film is transferred to video the running time will be shorter by approximately 4% due to the differing number of frames per second. This does not mean that the video version has been cut or re-edited.
This entry was last updated 17/07/2008

Camper
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Camper
Quote this post in a PM to Camper
Send email to Camper
Find More Posts by Camper
Add Camper to Your Buddy List

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
Because most extras are shot on NTSC video rather than film. Therefore, an NTSC to PAL conversion is done via frame-blending.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis

Interesting but not pertinent.

These are deleted scenes I've writing about---they were shot on film, just not included in the final cut.
So just as the film is speeded up for Pal video transfer, so will these deleted scenes be.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

It´s rather confusing, that we talk about PAL and NTSC when it comes to Blu-ray-releases... But still..

The film itself in ALL (US, UK, Australia, Japan, etc) Blu-ray-releases is in 1080p/24fps (since it was shot in film). That should be clear.

Things start to get tricky when it comes to extras...

If those "deleted scenes" are in HD also (which might or might not be the case), they´re probably in 1080p/24fps also. Many HD-based extras (new interviews, featurettes, making-of´s, etc) are often also in 1080i (shot in HD video cameras). I believe 1080i is usually in 60i... (if they´re in "1080i/50i", US-players can´t play them, since those US-players only support "60i").

But yes, many extras are still in SD and to my understanding, most of those are in 480p NTSC-format, regardless of the region/area (at least that´s the case with the Blu-ray-releases - probably same thing with most SD DVD-releases). I just tried e.g. my *UK* Blu-ray-release of "Sweeney Todd", and most extras were in 1080i/60i HD and some in 480p/NTSC. My friend has the Australian-release of "Sweeney Todd" and it´s the same thing. These releases even have the FBI-logo before the main menu..

There are some e.g. UK Blu-ray-releases (mainly from the "smaller companies") that have extras in PAL-format OR in 1080i/50i HD. US-players can´t play them (since US-players can´t support PAL or 50i). There´s also e.g. Spanish Blu-ray-release of the Spanish horror film "[Rec] (2007)", that´s (the actual film, I mean) "1080i/50i" (so the US-players can´t play this film). The latter example is of course quite rare.

All e.g. European/Australian DVD/Blu-ray-players (and TV-sets) support BOTH PAL/NTSC and 50i/60i. That´s why they don´t really have to worry about "NTSC/60i"-based extras.

I don´t know how BBFC lists these running times when it comes to extras, but it´s best to take their running times with that "grain of salt" in any case..

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Very interesting.

But the time listing for the above deleted scenes EXPICITLY state they are sped up by 4% over their film counterparts.

So since US times are NOT sped up they will be longer.

Anyway, we'll know for sure on Oct 21 when our Blu-rays will tell us exactly how long the deleted section will be for the Incredible Hulk

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis

Wow, it's nice to right for once.

The British site listed the deleted section as 41min 58 sec in their format which does translate to 43:50 in ours.

But the poster didn't include the nearly 3 minute 'alternate opening in his total of 'deleted scenes--so it will be 46+ min if you include that.

Really glad I have Blu-ray. Getting 46+ minutes is a whole lot better than 13 minutes.

Also, I do mention to folks that you can buy an inexpensive Blu-ray player and use it on a 480p TV to get the advantage of Blu-ray features--even if you can't now afford an HDTV. that's better than wasting money on standard DVDs that you'll someday have to replace.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Even though it's not the full 70, I'll take 45 min. of deleted scenes any day. Can't wait for this Blu-Ray. :emoji_thumbsup:

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I bought this BD last week and watched it (yes, we get them real early! :D). It has a nice 3D cover. I very much enjoyed this movie, more so than The Iron Man.
And this is the studio “dumbed” down version? I wish they had let them release their cut too.
Nice extras, didn’t know ILM didn’t do the effects.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

I don't know who "they" or "them" are, but check my post #47 of this very thread. It includes a link to an interview with Incredible Hulk director Louis Leterrier, in which he states that the version of the film released in theaters is his cut of the film, with which he is perfectly happy. This release has not been "dumbed down."

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
No problem. There seems to be a lot of confusion over this title, particularly with regard to deleted scenes, and the theatrically-released cut of the film. It's refreshing to have a director come out and say straightforwardly, "I'm perfectly happy with the film as-is."

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Flashforward to a couple of years from now when he's saying "The expanded version of The Incredible Hulk gives the viewer a richer and more character driven experience in the world of these characters".
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
The director could certainly be happy with his version, so there's no need to make fun of him for it.

From all accounts, the major advocate for the 70 extra minutes was Ed Norton. Frankly, I'm tempted to take his side (knowing his experience and passion for the actual comics), but seeing as how the studio and him are pretty much splitsville, I don't think it's likely that a new home video version will be released for a while.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
It sort of sounds Edward Norton got played by Marvel. This is the way I see it: He signed on to do the movie on the condition that he'd get a pass at the script. His draft beefs up the script with many character building scenes and psychological drama, etc. His draft gets filmed, but in the editing, Marvel cuts nearly all the additions Norton made to the script, pissing him off and effectively getting nullifying his creative duties & writing credit.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

isnt there a bit more to it then just "a problem"

there is some indication this happened in canada, and by this i mean the
wrong hulk movie in the cases.

My Hulk has the right one in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks