What's new

In wall speakers? (1 Viewer)

froggi3

Grip
Real Name
Fred
Can anyone recommend a good set of in wall speakers for a home theater system? I'm looking at building a new home theater and would like to go with in wall speakers and built in components but don't want to sacrifice good sound and deep base.

Jacob C

Second Unit
Depending on the amount of work you are willing to put it you could add an IB subwoofer to whatever in walls you get. That way you get all the bass you would ever want and not limit your speaker selection based on frequency response.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Oh, yeah. Infinite Baffle subs are wonderful. I love mine, and will not go back to a box or cylinder.

As for in-wall speakers, a number of companies make very fine examples. I have some Proficient Audio speakers in my ceilings and they're quite nice.

kryten_tl

Agent
Real Name
Tom Ledoux
I have the Polk TC615i's in-walls for my rear surround and another pair as Zone 2's in the upstairs. They perform real well as surrounds and give a pretty full range. With some movies, I'm quite surprised how much mid to low end they actually produce. Most Tweeters carry them, and I would definitely audition in-wall speakers to see if how they sound before buying.

TL

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Anyone have experience with some of the Dayton in-wall speakers that Parts Express sells?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Yes. I have a pair of their cheap round in-ceiling speakers over my pool table. I like them, but they're not hi-fi. The higher end models are probably much better. I have two of their 15" Infinite Baffle stamped steel subs built into my infinite baffle subwoofer and they MEGA KICK ASS.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I was contemplating getting the Dayton stereo ceiling speaker(s) to save space for my bathroom and kitchen and run them off of a 2nd zone on my Denon receiver. Those aren't the ones you have are they Philip?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
No I don't have the single source stereo speakers if that's what you're talking about. Just the cheap 6 1/2" speakers they sell, one on each side of the table. They sound really good for the price and with the grille on them, they look virtually indistinguishable to the much higher end Proficients elsewhere in the house.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Would you think the single source stereo speaker such as that would do a decent job for a bathroom? I don't need anything fancy. However I was thinking about boxing it in between the ceiling beams to trap the sound from traveling in the attic and into other rooms via the attic space, I'm assuming it may help out with frequency response and keep it clean the same (I have blown-in insulation)

MikeNg

Second Unit
Fred, look into the inwall offerings from RBH Sound (http://www.rbhsound.com). They have inwall/ceiling/floor subs as well.

Their subs are really nice with music, but if you're a bass head and want serious bass, you may want to consider others. The only possible exception is their dual 10" sub. THAT is a good sub.

I've been really wanting to try the new Velodyne inwall sub. Looks quite promising.
http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/pro...8&sid=977n795q

froggi3

Grip
Real Name
Fred
I'd just like to say thanks guys for all of your feedback and recommendations! This is a great community sharing in experience and knowledge, you make home theater worthwhile!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks