What's new

in-wall speaker wire question (1 Viewer)

PeteE

Stunt Coordinator
hi all,

I'm going to install some in-wall speakers and do I really need to use in-wall speaker wire, or can I just use regular 12g wire ?

And if I need in-wall wire, can someone point me to where I can get some at a reasonable price.

thanks

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Pete wiring code dictates that you do need in wall approved wiring so you won't be able to use regular 12 gauge cable. Home Depot sells a 14 and 12 gauge approved cable though that is very affordable and is what most of my house is wired with.

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
Wires not connected to the homes electrical supply are not subject to the same building codes as electricac wire. (Although codes vary by state,county,city, etc.) Regular 12g Speaker wire will do just fine. (Not the 12g romex wire used for wiring on the home).

The stuff Home Depot sells on the spool is decent enough for most people.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Check your local codes as to whether it is required or not; it may not be. The safest bet is just to get the in-wall rated wire.

PeteE

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the input guys. I just purchased 200 ft of inwall wire from Blue Jeans so I am going to stick with that

Pete

Blaine_M

Second Unit
As long as it is UL rated you are probably fine. I ordered all my cable from BlueJeans as well, if they say it is in-wall rated you should be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks