What's new

In Too Deep ? (1 Viewer)

trucker52

Auditioning
Real Name
rick
My current setup is a Sony SXRD TV with a Sony AVR (STR-DE895) with my most recent addition of Sony BDP-BX1 player & the speakers are Bose Acoustimass 16 II. I chose the 6.1 for the rear center channel to help me hear the dialog. I would now like to upgrade to a AVR that decodes the new HD audio available and the connections all being HDMI. Problem I don't see any 6.1 AVR on the market they are mostly7.1 or 7.2. I like the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K, but I am not sure if I can connect & use with what I have. I am not 100% happy with my previous choices, but believe I am in too deep to change without a great expense. Any suggestions to a novice ?
Thanks
Rick

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The Pioneer, nor any other modern receiver is going to work well with the Bose speakers. Don't the Bose speakers connect to the bass module, instead of to the receiver? Bose is never a good option for home theater. The Pioneer should work well with everything else though. I wish Sony still made the SXRD tvs! I think they were extremely stupid to stop.

Some here recommend the Energy Take speakers, because they're supposed to be decent speakers at a pretty cheap price. The speakers I always recommend are almost $1000 for a 5.1 setup, and includes an excellent subwoofer. See Energy here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269004 You'll still need a subwoofer with these. I don't know if they'll sell just a pair, to make it 6.1/7.1 or not.
See my recommendation here: http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm
You can get a 6.1/7.1 set here.

A 7.1 receiver can be setup for 6.1 or 5.1, if that's how you want to listen to it. You said:

I chose the 6.1 for the rear center channel to help me hear the dialog.
The rear center speaker isn't for dialog. Dialog comes from the front center speaker. All rear speakers are mostly for ambient sounds. Usually, the only time you'll hear dialog coming from a rear speaker is if someone in the movie is behind you, and they say something. Then the camera will probably go to them, and then their dialog will come from the front center. If you had dialog coming from the rear center speaker, it was hooked up wrong.

Good luck!
Sorry if all this isn't what you wanted to hear.

trucker52

Auditioning
Real Name
rick
Yes. The speakers are first connected to the Bose module, but then are connected to the rear of the receiver. Are these 2 units working against one another ?
Rick

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I would recommend putting the Bose system up for auction on Ebay. About the only good thing that can be said about Bose is that they have a very good resale value -- after all, their unofficial slogan is "Better Sound Through Marketing" . You may get enough to purchase the Energy Take 5.1 system that Ed mentioned. The Energy system sounds much, much better than the Bose, is more flexible for HT connection, and cost a lot less.

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, I auctioned my Acoustimass system, and even though they had some wear on the cloth that covers the grills, I still got 60% or more of what I paid for them years earlier. I would second that suggestion. You should be able to get close to enough to buy the new speakers, but you may have to save up for a decent sub.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
What happens if you connect Bose cubes directly to your receiver and by pass their connection to the bass module? Knowing Bose, I would suspect the connection to the module adds some sort of equalization to the cubes. But what if you used receiver that has Audyssey or other set up software. You might be able to make some improvements to your Bose system.

brycelarson

Auditioning
Real Name
bryce
There's a ton of processing going on in that magic box. Those $0.49 paper drivers need as much as Bose can throw at them.

The results are going to be even worse running them right off a receiver.

Originally Posted by CB750

What happens if you connect Bose cubes directly to your receiver and by pass their connection to the bass module? Knowing Bose, I would suspect the connection to the module adds some sort of equalization to the cubes. But what if you used receiver that has Audyssey or other set up software. You might be able to make some improvements to your Bose system.

trucker52

Auditioning
Real Name
rick
Yea.......I have thought about selling the Bose. I am not sure the 6.1 (acoustimass 16) setup is very desirable in today's market. Plus I not sure I want to take a bath on them after paying $1200 for them. My current AVR produces good surround now going through the Bose module. I am mostly concerned with the sound on a new 7.1 AVR reconfigured to 6.1 by killing out one of the rear speakers. I even wonder how an AVR w/audyssey would react to the Bose module. You think it would be able to analyze and set?
Rick

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Yes. The speakers are first connected to the Bose module, but then are connected to the rear of the receiver. Are these 2 units working against one another ?

Actually the Bose module is connected to the receiver and the speakers are connected to the Bose. The Acoustimass system is designed to work with receivers but as far as something like Audyssey is concerned....

I even wonder how an AVR w/audyssey would react to the Bose module. You think it would be able to analyze and set?

More than likely it would have a nervous breakdown! All kidding aside, I have no idea how Audyssey would handle a system like that. But I'm sure Audyssey has given it some thought.

I have thought about selling the Bose. I am not sure the 6.1 (acoustimass 16) setup is very desirable in today's market.

In the S.F. Bay Area there are two Bose 16 systems up for sale. One for $875 and another for $1100. At those prices I'd throw it up there and see what happens.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If you can get the $875 that Gene sees (or maybe even a little more), then I would definitely sell the Acoustimass system. You can get an Energy Take 5.1 or Klipsch Quintet system with a real subwoofer for less than this price. Either system would be a major improvement over the Bose crap.

The following link is a few years old, but Bose has not really made any changes to the Acoustimass system since then, so it still applies. It will give you an understanding of why Bose is not thought well of in the audio world. www.intellexual.net/bose.html

trucker52

Auditioning
Real Name
rick
WOW! Thanks to all. It really sucks to find out the marketing guys got me. I am guilty of not checking before buying........what a lesson. I don't have a fine tuned ear for audio after all the years of having a Detroit diesel sing to me. I'll give e-bay a whirl and see what happens. I still need to upgrade my AVR. Any suggestions on that ?
Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks