What's new

In the market for a new bigscreen. I need help!!! (1 Viewer)

chris stratton

Auditioning
I am going to be getting a new bigscreen in the near future. I have a budget of $1500-1800. I know I want a widescreen, but not sure how big or what brand. I am looking at toshiba, mitsubishi, and hitachi. My question is with this budget am I better off getting a smaller screen say 42"-47" with these brands or spending the same money on a bigger panasonic or samsung? Also I watch regular television alot on direct tv. I watch DVD probably 2 times a week. DO I run the risk of burn in at all? I know that is always being talked about on here but I can't seem to get any straight answers on what causes this. Any help you guys can lend me would be great? Chris

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The risk of burn-in is always there. Your task is to do all you can to minimize that risk.

As for which sets and which size, your eyes are the ultimate judge (assuming you can find retailers in your area that will allow for you properly adjusting the sets in which you're interested).

If it were my money, I'd go for a native widescreen model. But one of my moderator colleagues recently purchased a nice 4:3 RPTV and is very happy with it. When he wants to watch a 16:9-encoded DVD without in-player downcoversion, he simply opts for 1080i upconversion.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yes, you can get burn-in from watching lots of cable or sat even if you use the stretch mode. Basically, any intense fixed image can cause burn-in although you can minimize the risk w/ proper precaution and TV setup.

Check this recent thread for some of the latest discussion on this in addition to the MERGED burn-in thread at the top of this forum:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=116662

BTW, if you decide you like the Panny's, you might want to wait until this summer for the new ones to come out since they will have DVI/HDCP input. Also, there's a dedicated Panny site + forum for tweaks and such to help optimize those TVs, if you're interested. Some of the other brands also have dedicated sites and/or forums for such things.

_Man_

Alan M

Second Unit
well Chris,its all in the eyes.
doing research on this forum and others is a great way to become informed and know what to look for,but,your eyes should b the final judge as to what tv you end up with.
I bought a tosh after doing much research and am extremely happy with my purchase.My friend has a mits and I think its a great tv also.
Your budget should allow you to get into a 50" to 57" tv.I,like the some of the other posters,would recommend a 16x9.
Happy hunting and my the home theatre force b w/you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks