What's new

In The Good Old Summertime - another outstanding Technicolor transfer by WB (1 Viewer)

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
Finally got around to viewing this last night. Seems to have that "Ultra-Resolution Process" that was given to Meet Me in St. Louis, though no mention of it anywhere or in the cover description. Whatever, highly recommended here! Wow, another amazing Technicolor transfer by Warners!

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I actually didn't like the transfer....it was overly dark and had a greenish tint to it that wasn't there in earlier vhs incarnations. And the opening credits sequence looks horrendous, with DVNR artifacts and really ugly compression.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

It definitely wasn't given an "Ultra-Resolution" transfer, because Warner Bros. (rightly) makes a big deal when they do use that process. I do agree though that it is a gorgeous looking DVD, a huge improvement from the laserdisc....and a delightful film, too!

I feel Warner’s should revisit “Singin’ In The Rain” --and not use the "Ultra-Resolution" process this time around.... since much of the Technicolor warmth is missing from the new digital “restoration”.

JW

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Brain on this one. It looked stunningly beautiful on my projection screen. Yes, the colors were a bit greenish or dark at times...but still a very film-like presentation with loads of natural image detail and absolutely no ringing or artificial EE contouring.

I didn't notice any egregious noise like from DNR or compression...but I'll double check. I just remember that opening scene really impressing me with all that image detail.

Scott, tell me about your video system (size image, DVD player, connection like 480I/P/DVI etc.).

-dave

Sure, SITR looks sharp, crisp, and stunning in this new digital "restoration", but it's far from a film-like presentation to my eye . Yet, for the money, and the lack of an original neg, WB did an OK job bring this film to DVD.....but it's not as great as the WB P.R. machine claims!

JW

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I have a Pioneer 52" and a Panasonic 310........but I don't think it is my system...look at the credits....the lines in the letters are supposed to remain static but they dance the entire time...if you slo mo the picture, you can see that parts of the lines disappear every other frame....not normal.

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
Even Meet Me In St. Louis (with URP) looked greenish or uneven at times, characteristic of Technicolor 3 strip film elements. I honestly think this looks just as good with my display and equipment (Pioneer Elite 510HD, Panasonic RP-91 prog.scan). The sound is nice too, though original mono, they did not give ITGOS the 5.1 treatment as MMISL. The credits I agree do waver, but I assume that was just due to digital restoration, for maybe not so good source material for the opening credits. Just look at the detail and the striped costumes, no video artifacting what so ever, smooth in detail and in color saturation. At least that is what I saw!

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
They couldn't do 5.1 for Summertime as the original multitrack sessions no longer exist.
Sadly, they could not clear the filmed number outtake "Last Night When We Were Young" that was on a laser box set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks