In Need of outfitting my basement with In-Wall Speakers - Help Needed?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by NoviceSoundGuy, Jan 31, 2012.

1. NoviceSoundGuy

NoviceSoundGuy Auditioning

Hello everyone, I am new to the site and forum...great information here! I am in the process of finishing my basement and am looking to add two front and two rear ceiling speakers, yet am not sure what would be best. I also have it wired for another two ceiling speakers on the opposite side of the basement (to be set on a separate channel) and used for playing music, etc. My budget for all six is $700 to $1000. What do you think would be a good set of speakers that would produce overall good quality? I plan to stay in the house for a long time, so I don't mind putting in something good that will last. I really want to have a nice sounding system. I will need to buy a new reciever as well, so any recomendations in this arena would be appreciated as well. I am very curious what you have to say. .As an aside, what do you think of the Polk Audio RC60i and 65i...good quality? Any good web sites for buying speakers? Any advice you have for me would be greatly appreciated. Kind regards, Tom

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Welcome to the forum. Our standard disclaimer - In-wall speakers are a compromise. You will get better sound for the same price with conventional speakers. Where is your center channel? You only mention 6 speakers so I assume you already have a center? You should match it. Where is your sub in this list? Please don't go with an in-wall sub. There aren't a compromise, they just don't perform at all. Polk makes great conventional speakers. I'd put those you mention up against these any day though. http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10837

3. NoviceSoundGuy

NoviceSoundGuy Auditioning

Hi Robert_J, Thanks for the post. Well, relative to the center channel question. Currently it is not wired for one in the wall. I was hoping to buy a center channel and have it rest on the TV stand. The sub I was planning on buying and having sit on the floor. I had not even considered having an in-wall sub, however it sounds like its best I don't. If I were to go with the Polk speakers or the ones you mention on monprice - would it be okay to have the center channel just rest on the tv stand as opposed to in the wall. The drywall and speaker inserts are already all finished for the front L and R...I hate to rip up the drywall to put in a center. I really appreciate the help. Does it matter what type of volume control switch I have for the wall to adjust speaker volume?

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You will never get a convention center to match the Monoprice speakers. I'm not if Polk makes a conventional center to match their in-walls. But by going with in-walls, you are already compromising so I don't think it would be a problem. I think if you go with a close center channel it won't be that bad.
    You don't need a wall switch volume control with a receiver. You use that with distributed audio systems, not home theater systems.