What's new

In LA for a week, what should I do? (1 Viewer)

Don Black

Screenwriter
So I'm in LA for the week and have some time off between meetings. Any recommendations on things to do? Movie-related or otherwise.

I'm not looking for tourist-type activities. Rather, I'd like to get a sense of what it's like to live around here.

I've been to the Getty Center and taken in a concert at the Disney Concert Hall. I might take in the MOCA or LACMA today. I'd like to checkout a cool boardwalk scene down by the beach if anyone can recommend one. Malibu? Laguna? Santa Monica?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Check out Venice Beach. There's no place like it in the world, for better or worse. :)

The El Capitan and Chinese theaters are landmarks for movie lovers, of course.

If you like Chinese food, take a drive to the San Gabriel Valley and you'll find the best Chinese food outside of China.
I'm partial to NBC Seafood in Monterey Park.

Don Black

Screenwriter
Thanks Jan. Is the scene at Venice Beach good on a Sunday afternoon? Better than a weekday?

Pamela

Supporting Actor

The weekend is great for Venice beach. Lots of nut jobs out and about! ;)

Your timing is perfect. For a real flavor of LA, check out the:

West Hollywood Halloween Costume Carnaval. This is one of the world's largest Halloween parties. Over 400,000 people, many dressed in outlandish drag couture, party all night along Santa Monica Boulevard. Call tel. 310/289-2525 or visit www.visitwesthollywood.com for info. October 31.

I've been to it and it is wild. A cornucopia of drag queens and costumes. Lots of fun. It's a site you won't soon forget!

Joe D

Supporting Actor
To quote Lewis Black on what to do in LA:

"Take a pencil and stick it in your eye."

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
For the above quote to be used by a resident of Starkville, Mississippi brings new meaning to the word 'ironic.'

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Although you might consider it "touristy" - the VIP tour at Warner Bros studios is EXCELLENT. Most studios that have tours are pretty lame, but the WB one is long, in depth, takes you to live sets and working stages.

The walking tour at Paramount is also decent, but the WB tour is the best.

The farmers market in Santa Monica on Wednesday is always a favorite of people passing through. You should go and people watch on the 3rd street prominade in Santa Monica and wander down to the pier, take a walk on the beach: all of these things are within a 3 block radius, easy walking distance and Santa Monica has several free public parking decks.

The King Tut exhibit is still going on for a couple more weeks, so that's worth seeing.

If you're looking for a movie going experience- go check out the Arclight in Hollywood... see something at the dome if you can (but all the theaters are excellent, THX, etc).

Or, see what's playing out at the Village Westwood- another excellent theater.

If you go to the Arclight, wander next door (one block west) to Amoeba records, an amazing record store with a pretty impressive DVD selection, including some used gems.

Oh, and if you wanna get a good picture with the hollywood sign, here's a weird secret: check out the HOME DEPOT on Sunset (Few miles east of the arclight, but right at Sunset and the 101)-- if you go up to the upperdeck of the parking structire (on top of the store) there is an excellent view of the Hollywood sign.

And, the Grove (Fairfax and 3rd) is a giant outfoor mall-- interesting for people watching BUT their top floor of the parking deck also has some excellent opportunities for seeing the various LA skylines...

\V

Don Black

Screenwriter
Thanks Vince. I think I might checkout Venice Beach today and the Arclight sometime this week. As for the WB VIP tour, should I spring for the Deluxe tour for $125? Or just the vanilla VIP tour?

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
The AFI film festival starts on November 3rd at Arclight, so you might want to wait until then to go there.

~T

Don Black

Screenwriter
I'm actually heading up to San Francisco on Thursday so it looks like I'll miss the AFI festival.

Strolled along Venice Beach today. Nice weather. Anyone know why Hollywood, in front of the Kodak theater, is closed currently?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks